Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSDs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 11:16 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSDs

ok guys, aobut to buy a two way LSD. knowing which one of you guys have had expierence with any of the following:

Kaaz
Cusco
ATS
TRD

am i missing any for 2 ways? let me know which one you think is the best and WHY. please do not JUST post which is the best. i REALLY want to know why!!!

Thanks

ps io don't really know how to do polls, so...yeah, if someone could direct me i will post up a poll.
Old 04-28-06, 06:50 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Torsen LSD and TRD are your best choices for a daily driver... The Torsen LSD differential can be found on 1993 and newer Supra TT automatics...Those complete differentials bolt and match perfectly with the SC400's. I have had mine for a year, got it used at a junk yard for $500...It's been great and drives like the stock one, but get two wheel burnouts as apposed to one wheel burnouts...

If you have the sc300 you will want to look for a manual tt supra and not automatic, opposite for Sc400...Auto for auto, manual for manual....

The others LSD's you mentioned are too agressive...and require frequent maintenance like every two thousand miles... Trd and Torsens require little maintenance and perform great...

Last edited by jibbby; 04-28-06 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-28-06, 11:22 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jibbby

If you have the sc300 you will want to look for a manual tt supra and not automatic, opposite for Sc400...Auto for auto, manual for manual....

The others LSD's you mentioned are too agressive...and require frequent maintenance like every two thousand miles... Trd and Torsens require little maintenance and perform great...

Incorrect. The manual (6 spd) TT LSD stands on its own with a 12 bolt pattern and the SC300 and Supra NA 5 spds use the same 10 bolt LSD as the Supra TT Auto LSD. Thus, all but the supra TT 6 spd are the same. Atleast that goes for the pumpkin itself. The 2 way is great for drift, but crappy unless it is a dedicated drift car (being that you drive it on the road at all.....especially if its your daily driver).
Old 04-29-06, 02:10 AM
slo86
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jibbby
The others LSD's you mentioned are too agressive...and require frequent maintenance like every two thousand miles...
Kaaz, Cusco, ATS... clutch type lsd are more effective, for drifting at least. they're only too aggressive for beginers. maintenance (changing differential fluid) intervals depends on driving conditions. that would be a lot of drifting/ road racing to require maintenance every two thousand miles.

kaaz: "We recommend to change LSD oil every 5000 miles for daily driven and occassional track use vehicles."

changing diff fluid is as easy as changing your oil.

Last edited by slo86; 04-29-06 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-29-06, 06:03 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I've been using the TRD for quite some time, Ihave had no issues with it at all. No noise and no maintenance required.

Only thing that I did notice and this is probably an issue with all LSD's for our application. The car used to have understeer during hard cornering, it was pretty easy to slide around corners in a controlled manner.
After the LSD, the car oversteers, if you get it loose in a corner the rear end will come around.

I am sure that there is a way to deal with this, I just havent figured it out.
Old 04-29-06, 01:40 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

does TRD have a 1, 1.5 and a 2way?
Old 04-29-06, 02:24 PM
jibbby

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
Incorrect. The manual (6 spd) TT LSD stands on its own with a 12 bolt pattern and the SC300 and Supra NA 5 spds use the same 10 bolt LSD as the Supra TT Auto LSD. Thus, all but the supra TT 6 spd are the same. Atleast that goes for the pumpkin itself. The 2 way is great for drift, but crappy unless it is a dedicated drift car (being that you drive it on the road at all.....especially if its your daily driver).

I thought all the pumkins were the same, I have not personally worked with 6 speed LSD Supra and SC300, so thanks for the correction...I need to go correct one or two posts on Lextreme on this same topic...Thanks...
Old 04-29-06, 02:32 PM
jibbby

Originally Posted by slo86
Kaaz, Cusco, ATS... clutch type lsd are more effective, for drifting at least. they're only too aggressive for beginers. maintenance (changing differential fluid) intervals depends on driving conditions. that would be a lot of drifting/ road racing to require maintenance every two thousand miles.

kaaz: "We recommend to change LSD oil every 5000 miles for daily driven and occassional track use vehicles."

changing diff fluid is as easy as changing your oil.

I personally ran a KAAZ differential on my car for 3 months and sold it..Did not like the clutch type at all for normal driving..Even though they are adjustable they still make noise around corners when under no throttle...Metal shaving break off that mixes with the oil is the reason the oils should be changed every two thousand miles when first purchasing.. 5000 miles later on down the road.. Although, you are correct in saying it works the best and as I said it is a very aggressive LSD and operates better then most. However with all that being said I strongly do not recommend the Kaaz LSD for a daily driver but for track use or weekend racing it maybe one of the best LSD's to get... I hear TRD is the best but maybe not after the above post. testimony. Again for normal driving the Torsen Supra LSD is the best bang for your buck...hands down and will not give you one problem...