Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hesitation, temp problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 10:13 AM
6spdSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation, temp problem

Hey everyone first time poster here with a bit of a problem....

I've got a '95 SC400 that has some problems:
I can't really tell whats going on other than the fact that it will run at normal temp then it will slowly begin to climb up to just below the H I'll crank the heat on, or I've even noticed that I actually brought the RPMs up higher than 3200ish and it will begin to fall back down to normal temps. Anyone have any thoughts at all?! Last night I popped the hood after a good 15 minute drive(bare in mind it was 40 degrees out and still did the same things) and the smell of coolant was quite strong. I tried to check it out with the flashlight but could not see any leaks. Checking under the car only shows what seems to be water but it has a slight film over it. No odor to it at all and feels just like normal water. I first thought it might be the thermostat but now I'm wondering if it could also be the water pump. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also(completely aside from the cooling problem) the car seems to have a mild hesitation when accelerating at about 60-70% throttle. If I roll from about 5-10mph still in 2nd gear( so that the car won't downshift) it will seem to jump just a little bit as it hits 2300 and continue to do so until it gets to about 3300rpms. I have changed the fuel filter, air filter, plugs(although I want to check these again) oil and filter. What might be causing this? I know I must be buring rich because I'm getting horrible gas mileage. Last check I got somewhere around 235 miles on a full tank of gas. Please help me!!! Haha, seriously though any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 12-12-05, 10:37 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A search is the quickest help of all

Welcome to ClubLexus. Try titling your threads with something more descriptive to your problem than "Quick Help!", since we all are looking for help when we post. It looks like the moderator already renamed it for you.

Several members have had overheating problems and have posted their symptoms on other threads. If you want "quick help" you may wish to try using the search function. Below is a sample search using the words "overheating coolant thermostat" which yields 7 threads. See if any of these threads provide any guidance:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...earchid=386274

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 12-12-05 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-12-05, 10:44 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

try topping off the coolant. Start there. I mean fully topping it off, it'll purge itself.
Old 12-12-05, 04:07 PM
6spdSC4
Driver School Candidate

I talked to my mechanic and he seems to think that it might be that the fan clutch is either bad or something along those lines. I check it out and never saw it not functioning as designed so I think he's wrong. I checked/filled all the fluids as O. L. T. suggested to no avail. What's the next move? A new thermostat is only $10 so should I just go ahead with that next? I appreciate all the help and quick replys.
Old 12-12-05, 05:09 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think the SC400 has a fan clutch, it has a hydraulic fan, could be a bad solenoid not opening the fluid passage. I would check the thermostat first, easy to do and cheap.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-05, 05:21 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

i'm also thinking a circulation problem.
thermostat is a good place to start, may not be fully opening/ sticking.
- if it was a headgasket or such, reving it usually makes it hotter.

after you drain the system for the t-stat, take a peek into the radiator.
maybe partially clogged & restricting flow. the fan clutch plays a lesser
role on these 40 degree high days than summer.
Old 12-12-05, 05:39 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Time for a new mechanic

John, I don't think the fan clutch plays any role here since 6spdSC4's car overheats in motion, and the forward movement of the car should provide enough air rushing through the radiator.
Old 12-12-05, 07:08 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

yep, agreed.
i just didnt want to make his guy look bad, so i said lesser

off topic - perry let me know when that hinge arrives.

john
Old 12-12-05, 11:02 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd try replacing the thermostat first. If that doesnt work then I dont know.
Old 12-13-05, 05:49 AM
6spdSC4
Driver School Candidate

Well I gave up. The car is at the shop as we speak. I got pissed off at my mechanic last night when my brakes started to make noise again...less than a month after I took it in for the second time to have the brakes done. Third time's a charm!(I hope)

I'll let you guys know what he finds out. Also, I've been searching around and unable to find...is there a For Sale section on this board? I'm thinking I might buy a fully swapped 6spd GTE if I can find one for a good price instead of buying a Supra but have only had 2-3 hits with the search function. I got really excited when I saw DETUNEDs car but then my dreams were crushed when I saw that he did the smart thing and decided not to sell lol

*Ninja Edit* Nevermind about the FS question, my retarded *** just found it...god reading is so hard for me

Last edited by 6spdSC4; 12-13-05 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-13-05, 07:05 AM
6spdSC4
Driver School Candidate

$650 bucks....he says the rad's cracked in 2 spots. I really feel like just taking the car and wrapping it around a telephone pole to collect the insurance money on it....god this sucks a$$
Old 12-13-05, 08:44 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change it yourself!!! You can knock $300 off that price easy by doing it yourself.
Old 12-13-05, 08:48 AM
6spdSC4
Driver School Candidate

I actually just decided I'm going to take the chance and replace it myself. I have ZERO idea how hard it is or even how to do it in the 400 but I'm hoping it's something I'll be able to pull off this weekend. Anyone know of a good place around Tampa that I can order a Rad from and get it cheap? Also, how complex is this job? I've pulled a radiator out before and replaced one but that was in an old POS tempo, never in a Lexus...
Old 12-13-05, 03:11 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

take your time... if you can master the search feature, the rad's a cake walk!

brake sqeek: make sure your guy is using toyota pads. the cheap bobo pads
usually cause more mental anguish than the few bucks you saved is worth.
plus he gets the extra practice of doing it for the 3rd time. (not cost effective
for the shop) its not his fault, its the parts. if by chance they are dealer pads,
he needs to hang his head in shame. maybe start a new career in woodcarving.
Old 01-02-06, 02:21 PM
6spdSC4
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks everyone!

Just wanted to let everyone know I fixed the overheating problem. My buddy and I pulled the old thermostat this past thursday and put the new one in, capped off the fluids and she's actually running a bit colder than normal now! The temp gauge hasn't budged and I couldn't be happier. I just wanted to giv everyone on CL a huge thanks! She's actually up for sale right now because I have a GREAT deal on a Supra that I just can't pass up. Price on Autotrader is $8,000 but I REALLY need to sell it. Anyone want to give me a quick $6,500 for it? Here's the autotrader link:
Click for Autotrader add