Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electric Fan reccomendation? (cfm)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-05, 09:37 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Fan reccomendation? (cfm)

Does anyone know how much CFM is reccomended for an electric fan replacement? stock 1JZGTE engine stock rad.
Old 09-19-05, 08:39 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

? anyone ?

I need to order one ASAP
Old 09-19-05, 08:52 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

check over on sf.com or planetsoarer
Old 09-19-05, 06:11 PM
BLKMGK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
? anyone ?

I need to order one ASAP
Consider the fan\shroud from the Ford Taurus. EBAY for about $90. Cooled my Supra fine with a PWR rad - I believe it would've been fine with the stock RAD as well. I used the shroud and fan together on mine, 2speed fan. Use QUALITY relays as it draws some juice
Old 09-19-05, 11:09 PM
shaman
Rookie

Taurus Fan
Sn-95 Mustang Fan
Mark 8 Fan

All work well enough to cool 10 second mustangs. No need to drop anymore than you have to. I also second the High quality relays, These fans pull hi amps at startup.
Old 09-20-05, 05:27 AM
BLKMGK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shaman
Taurus Fan
Sn-95 Mustang Fan
Mark 8 Fan

All work well enough to cool 10 second mustangs. No need to drop anymore than you have to. I also second the High quality relays, These fans pull hi amps at startup.
The Tarus and MKVIII fans are the same unit - interchangable. The SN95 fan I assume to be the same size as the Cobra fan on those models - if so it is too large for the core. I mesured up a Cobra fan that I am using on a SBC 240Z swap and found that it was much too tall to fit the core of the PWR radiator I had in my Supra. The Taurus on the other hand nearly covered the core with it's OEM shroud and proved easy to adapt.

Heh, and I fried a Radio Shack "30 amp" relay under constant use. I'd lost my water temp probe when a serpentine belt shredded and was forced to run the fan full time on the road for 45mins or so. The relay simply couldn't handle the amperage and melted down inside. WaytekWire.com sells good quality wire and excellent Bosch relays with holders. Do it right and use that kind of stuff....
Old 09-20-05, 07:02 AM
shaman
Rookie

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
The Tarus and MKVIII fans are the same unit - interchangable. The SN95 fan I assume to be the same size as the Cobra fan on those models - if so it is too large for the core. I mesured up a Cobra fan that I am using on a SBC 240Z swap and found that it was much too tall to fit the core of the PWR radiator I had in my Supra. The Taurus on the other hand nearly covered the core with it's OEM shroud and proved easy to adapt.

Heh, and I fried a Radio Shack "30 amp" relay under constant use. I'd lost my water temp probe when a serpentine belt shredded and was forced to run the fan full time on the road for 45mins or so. The relay simply couldn't handle the amperage and melted down inside. WaytekWire.com sells good quality wire and excellent Bosch relays with holders. Do it right and use that kind of stuff....

These are the threads I am getting from TM.com

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...taurus+fan+amp

They suggest using a 40/50 amp relay

And another hear that talks about the MK8, Taurus and SN-95 being different, as well as the 9.38 turbo vert that it keeps cool

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...p&pagenumber=1
Old 09-20-05, 09:46 AM
BLKMGK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shaman
These are the threads I am getting from TM.com

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...taurus+fan+amp

They suggest using a 40/50 amp relay

And another hear that talks about the MK8, Taurus and SN-95 being different, as well as the 9.38 turbo vert that it keeps cool

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...p&pagenumber=1
The bottom thread is talking baout the fan I'd use - that tab on top grinds off easily. Lot's of hearsay in there about what fan moves what CFM but no sources cited that I can see. If you hunt up vendors they will sell you a fan that's listed as interchangable for the MKVIII and Taraus so as far as i'mconcerned they are the same. I ran mine on low speed only unless it got REALLY hot and I was using the A/C and then I'd just pop the hood and move the wire over. n a dyno during an EFI 101 class my car made multiple back to back dyno runs and a few mins of steady state loading with no dyno cooling fan - never got hot using the high speed. My motor was making around 620RWHP at the time, it also did just fine making over 700RWHP with crap cooling while being tuned.
Old 09-20-05, 03:31 PM
shaman
Rookie

FOund it

From Corral

Lincoln Mark VIII fan (93 to 98). Flows 4300 CFM at 33 amps. Specs are posted on the www.dccontrol.com website. Flat out, this is the most powerful fan out there that will fit in our cars. The fan blade design is a major reason in addition to the motor.

- 7-Blade, 18", fully shrouded fan with unique fan blade design. Single speed fan. Stock 3 spade fan wiring harness plugs right in but may need to be extended depending on mounting position. Big plus since you don't need relays or other methods to control the fan.

Taurus 3.8L Fan (89 - 95). 3800 CFM at ?? amps. the www.dccontrol.website has more specs on this fan as well. In back to back testing on my car, under similar weather conditions, this fan outflows the Stock SN-95. I saw a 15 degree drop in average engine temps versus the stock SN95 fan. This is a great replacement for the SN95 fan and its easy to install due to it size. Custom brackets are still needed but are easy to make.
- 8-blade, 16", fully shrouded fan with s-blade design. Dual speed fan that can be controlled with the stock EEC wiring harness. The plug design is different than the flat 3-prong stock fan, but this is easy to convert.

Numbers I found on ford muscle showed the fan to pull 130 amps at startup, 40 amps on high, and 15 amps on low

Stock SN-95 Fan (97+) 4.6L mod motor cars (GT/Cobra's use the same fan as far as I can tell).
- 18.5" 6-blade, unshrouded fan with s-blade design. 2 speed motor.

Pics of the fans here

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...6&postcount=35

I am not trying to prove you wrong. I want to know too. FOund some websites from Google that said they are the same, and some that say it's the little brother.

Last edited by shaman; 09-20-05 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-20-05, 05:44 PM
BLKMGK
Driver School Candidate

Interesting - I've not ever seen the various fans documented so far as CFM. A shame the Cobra fan wasn't listed - the one on my 240Z literally creates a breeze at the back of the car! I can also tell you that the Taurus fan I had did NOT extend below the PWR radiator on my Supra. I ASSume the SC300 is using the same sized radiator. The Cobra will for sure extend too low, I can measure one if anyone cares. Here's the Cobra fan on my Z ->

Sadly I have no pics of the Taurus fan on my car. Note that the fan I bought was listed as interchangable with the Lincoln so no telling which one it actually was. The shroud wasn't pretty but mounted it looked OEM, I was unable to seal it to the core of the radiator but it didn't seem to matter. It was also a "new" fan off of EBAY so likely a knockoff from somewhere. I would strongly suggest not running it full time as some Mustang guys have - especially on high - as after long enough it will catch fire. Yes, I've seen this....

IMO - OEM electric fans stomp the crap out of all the aftermarket stuff including the "BlackMagic" fan which you'd think I'd like. OEMs test in the desert heat, I'll take their testing over the aftermarket's any day - especially after seeing several aftermarket setups fail to perform on the Supra. Using the AEM to control my Taurus worked out great, I was having a box built that would switch from low speed to high after a period of time but it was never completed before my car was trashed <sigh>
Old 09-20-05, 06:28 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

fjord taurus fan it is!
Old 09-21-05, 12:14 AM
shaman
Rookie

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Interesting - I've not ever seen the various fans documented so far as CFM. A shame the Cobra fan wasn't listed - the one on my 240Z literally creates a breeze at the back of the car! I can also tell you that the Taurus fan I had did NOT extend below the PWR radiator on my Supra. I ASSume the SC300 is using the same sized radiator. The Cobra will for sure extend too low, I can measure one if anyone cares. Here's the Cobra fan on my Z ->

Sadly I have no pics of the Taurus fan on my car. Note that the fan I bought was listed as interchangable with the Lincoln so no telling which one it actually was. The shroud wasn't pretty but mounted it looked OEM, I was unable to seal it to the core of the radiator but it didn't seem to matter. It was also a "new" fan off of EBAY so likely a knockoff from somewhere. I would strongly suggest not running it full time as some Mustang guys have - especially on high - as after long enough it will catch fire. Yes, I've seen this....

IMO - OEM electric fans stomp the crap out of all the aftermarket stuff including the "BlackMagic" fan which you'd think I'd like. OEMs test in the desert heat, I'll take their testing over the aftermarket's any day - especially after seeing several aftermarket setups fail to perform on the Supra. Using the AEM to control my Taurus worked out great, I was having a box built that would switch from low speed to high after a period of time but it was never completed before my car was trashed <sigh>

My reading told me the Cobra and GT fans were the same. I think your Fan looks like the 98 model listed at corner carvers.

Back to the original question, Decide what fan you want to run, then look into ways to rig it. I saw something about a VW fan controller that was out of a JY for $20 or so. Also, the MK8 is only a one speed, where the Taurus is a two speed. Lastly, remember that even if you burn up a fan every year, $38.50(price I got from a post on Turbomustangs for a used one bought off ebay), that is a few fans before you reach Flex-a-lite or Black Magic price tags.