Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

help! everything electrical is dead (1jz swap)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-05, 07:32 PM
blksc300mt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! everything electrical is dead (1jz swap)

Ok guys...i just finished the 1jz swap on my 5 speed car, and besides the neutral safety switch not working yet i was able to start it and drive it around for like 5 minutes. Then i was around the corner and it seemed like the battery was dying and then the car just died out. so if i jump the starter relay i can get the motor to turn over, and with a multimeter i get 12 volts or whatever at the battery. the problem is now when i put the ignition on the numbers dont light up, the radio dosent get power, the ac unit dosent get power, the headlights wont work. pretty much nothing works except for the lights in the doors (barely) and the taillights when i put the parking lights on (really barely), and i know the battery has charge. also, i did check the fusible links in the engine bay and they all seem fine. can one of those be weak and not completely burned out? anybody have any ideas?

another question if anybody knows...i am having problems with the nss. i moved the black/white wire from cf2 to cf1 pin 8 opposite the red wire, and still its not starting.
Old 09-06-05, 08:19 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Take your battery and charging system out of the equation. Disconnect the battery completely. Jump the car with another running car directly to the terminal wires.
Old 09-06-05, 08:33 PM
blksc300mt
Driver

ok i was fooled.....it was all because the battery was dead. even though the battery showed over 12 volts on the meter it was still completely dead. i charged it some out of the car and now everything works.

my problem now is that the charging system is not working. i have from the alternator the tan wire hooked up to the white wire on the 3 pin plug on one of the connectors near the battery, and the black with yellow wire on cf1 pin 13, and the batt is not charging while the car is running. btw my car has the 3 wire plug and the motor had a 4 wire plug. theres two blue wires comin out of the motor side of the plug that i understand are not supposed to go to anything. am i doing something wrong?
Old 09-07-05, 03:53 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the alternator weak/dead?

Usually with the problems you first stated it was because the grounding isn't in good nick... that's from my experiences though.
Old 09-07-05, 09:44 AM
blksc300mt
Driver

alternator seems to be fine. it charges now. it can run on only the alternator or only the batt. whats wierd is it died out twice today while test driving it. there must be an intermittant problem somewhere. after it died out, i jumped the starter with the ignition off, and it cranked. then i turned the ignition on, and it was as if i just put a new battery in (without having touched the batt). the steering column goes all the way up and stuff. then it started fine and i drove it again.

i dont understand why it dies out. the main 60a fuse and the alt 120a fuse seem to be fine, as well as all the other ones. could they be weak? is there something else i should be looking for? could this be a ground problem? come to think of it, it does seem like a ground problem.
Old 09-07-05, 09:50 AM
turbo6
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, sounds like a loose or not-so-good connection. Make sure your terminals and grounds are all clean to metal, and not corroded.