Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

To believe, or not to believe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 07:22 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default To believe, or not to believe?

I've been doing tons of research lately for aftermarket exhaust info for my '95 SC4.

In alot of the threads pertaining to local exhaust shop custom bent pieces, the prices paid by users normally ranged from $125-$300. Today I talked to a manager from Meineke (sp?) just for *****s and giggles, and he gave me a rough estimate of $400-$500 for a true dual system in stainless- assuming I supplied my own mufflers and tips. Maybe I shouldn't have started out with "I'm looking into a new exhaust for my Lexus..."

I don't get it. I know the price of steel has gone up since some of the threads I read were written, but that much?

I explained to him what I wanted (Which is very similar to LiveSC400's seen here ) and he seemed pretty confident in his info.

Would my location have anything to do with it? I don't believe steel is a big industry in VA.

I guess it'd be smart to look around more. Any info on steel prices nowadays?

TIA,
Old 06-30-05, 09:04 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its because you went to Meinike...
don't go to a big company... go to some "mom and pop" muffler shop... there's a bunch around here and I'd bet there's plenty in VA...

Domestic guys usually use the local shops and know what shops are the best... but def dont go to a corporatized place, they charge WAY more...
Old 06-30-05, 09:30 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And make sure you get mandrel bent pipe - if you're gonna do it - do it right IMHO. I'm in the same boat now - looking for a shop to do stainless and mandrel bends. Good luck with your ride - let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-30-05, 10:08 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Bean
Its because you went to Meinike...
don't go to a big company... go to some "mom and pop" muffler shop... there's a bunch around here and I'd bet there's plenty in VA...

Domestic guys usually use the local shops and know what shops are the best... but def dont go to a corporatized place, they charge WAY more...
That's kind of what I thought. I was hoping he'd be 'crooked' enough to do it after business hours and put the cash right in his own pocket as a favor. BTW, I didn't talk to this guy at his shop. He's friends with some of my coworkers and dropped by.

Originally Posted by Nomis
And make sure you get mandrel bent pipe - if you're gonna do it - do it right IMHO. I'm in the same boat now - looking for a shop to do stainless and mandrel bends. Good luck with your ride - let us know how it turns out.
Yup, I'll definitely be looking for that. I was going to ask the Meinike guy if he used a mandrel bender or a crush bender (this is what it's called, correct?) but I didn't much feel like talking to him any longer after hearing the price quote.
Old 06-30-05, 11:34 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Yup, I'll definitely be looking for that. I was going to ask the Meinike guy if he used a mandrel bender or a crush bender (this is what it's called, correct?) but I didn't much feel like talking to him any longer after hearing the price quote.
I can almost guarantee you, that they have a crush pipe bending machine. A mandrel bend has the same Inside Diameter throughout the bend - the crush will do just that - the section at the bend gets smaller - sometimes up to half and inch . Another option is to have your muffler shop order pre-made mandrel bent sections and have them cut them up to fit. But then my question was - "Does the exhaust shop have stainless welding rods/ tig wire" - why go stainless if they are just going to use standard - rust prone welds? Bottom line is I'm probably just a perfectionist and I won't own the car by the time the regular mild steel welds or even standard piping is an issue. That said, I still want an all stainless system - oh well. Let us know what you find.
Old 07-01-05, 03:43 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,258 Likes on 999 Posts

The Mandrel Bent sections at the bends is what I am having done next week. Other options are take system off yoursefl from ft Cat to tail pipe. Take entire section to Mandel bender ( not shop that gets pipe bent but place that does actual mandrel bender ) ask them to copy but dual X where center was. Then have Muffler shop just attatch new Mufflers for you. And you can save money by going Aluminized instead of SS. It last just as long now a days.
Old 07-01-05, 03:57 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jgscott
The Mandrel Bent sections at the bends is what I am having done next week. Other options are take system off yoursefl from ft Cat to tail pipe. Take entire section to Mandel bender ( not shop that gets pipe bent but place that does actual mandrel bender ) ask them to copy but dual X where center was. Then have Muffler shop just attatch new Mufflers for you. And you can save money by going Aluminized instead of SS. It last just as long now a days.
You found a shop in GA, that does mandrel bends - on site? Where?
Old 07-01-05, 09:18 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

I thought about this, but I don't want the car to just sit with no exhaust on it. I'm a serious procrastinator and it would take me forever to finally get around to getting the new pipes installed on the car.
Old 07-01-05, 11:50 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,258 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomis
You found a shop in GA, that does mandrel bends - on site? Where?
The guy that's doing mine is at Performance Motorsports ask for Dave or Jesse. They make some real awsome builts, turbo's Super Chager everything. Tell him Jamie sent you.
Are you in GA ?
Old 07-02-05, 09:55 AM
Nomis
Lead Lap

The guy that's doing mine is at Performance Motorsports ask for Dave or Jesse. They make some real awsome builts, turbo's Super Chager everything. Tell him Jamie sent you.
Are you in GA ?
I'm in Tampa - the closest shop I've found is in Miami - where in GA is the shop - it may be closer for me.
Old 07-02-05, 09:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys,

My guy in Tulsa, Oklahoma does mandrel bending - so you gotta be able to find someone in these bigger cities you guys are living in.

From owning both setups - mandrel is definitely the way to go. A lot more expensive. But, the whole point of doing your exhaust is better flow, so why ruin it with crush and lose 15+% on each bend?

I just posted my latest mandrel bent exhaust in the GS engine section. There is a picture there you can check out.

Jonny
Old 07-02-05, 09:16 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

My guy in Tulsa, Oklahoma does mandrel bending - so you gotta be able to find someone in these bigger cities you guys are living in.

From owning both setups - mandrel is definitely the way to go. A lot more expensive. But, the whole point of doing your exhaust is better flow, so why ruin it with crush and lose 15+% on each bend?

I just posted my latest mandrel bent exhaust in the GS engine section. There is a picture there you can check out.

Jonny
If a crush bender will take a certain amount of the pipe's diameter away, what would the effects be if I were to just use a bigger pipe size anyway, and the smallest sections would still be at 2.25"?

I'm hoping to have the whole exhaust mandrel bent in 2.25" stainles for *> $300.
Old 07-10-05, 10:03 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
If a crush bender will take a certain amount of the pipe's diameter away, what would the effects be if I were to just use a bigger pipe size anyway, and the smallest sections would still be at 2.25"?

I'm hoping to have the whole exhaust mandrel bent in 2.25" stainles for *> $300.
^ Anyone know?
Old 07-11-05, 02:41 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

hey jgscott where is this shop your talking about?
ive been ooking around and cant find a good company or a desent price.
almost makes me want to go with a single exhaust.
so where is it and how much are the charging you.
and is it a true cat back?