Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looking to purchase a SC3 and go NA-T

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 04:59 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase a SC3 and go NA-T

Finally biting the bullet and go out to purchase a SC3 w/5speed. I really am anxious to go NA-T. I am going to sell my 92 Skyline GTS-T and buy an SC300. I am really wanting to purchase the Boostlogic Kit. The Dave H Kit is cheaper initially, but when you get other things needed it adds up quick. to around the same cost. I got some questions for you NA-T guys.

1) If I purchased a higher mileage SC300 150k plus do I have to necessarily have to do a engine rebuild before I go Turbo? If not what did you guys change before you went Turbo? A basic Tune-up and checkout?
2) Did the dave H intake manifold make a big difference?
3) I want to run mid 12's? Any suggestions. I plan on 375-400rwhp. Is it enough
4) what engine management/fuel management do you guys prefer? AEM EMS or A Simple S- AFC to control it?
5) I looked on Supraforums but found mixed answers on which injectors and management to use. will the S-AFC, V8 MAF, 440cc injectors, Stock ECU be able to compensate or go AEM EMS.( Iam on a budget)
6) Whats a NA-T Top speed? I live in Italy for now and need more than 160mph to play with the Porsche's and Ferrari's and other exotic's.

Thanks for any help. Yes I searched also just want the opinions of NA-T owners

P.s. Still keeping the SC4. I just want twins now!
Old 06-07-05, 05:38 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

daveh can get you the bl kit too, he is a distributor.
Old 06-08-05, 05:20 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to know what people have to say about Question #1. I too am planning on going NA-T and I have over 226k miles on my motor. Also, I hear that a basic stock turbo setup can get you up to 500hp on 100 octane. on pump gas you are in the high 400s. Ive seen dyno charts of cars that have made it that high. Its really impressive. Kits such as the boost logic kit or NA performance and Dave H really do alot. The rest is just up to you. You decide what your hp goals are on these types of projects. With turbo it is easy to go into the 12's. I have faith in you man I think you can do it.
Old 06-08-05, 07:06 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

From what I've read, mileage on th emotor is insignificant if you want to add a turbo system. BUT, you must make sure the compression is even on all the cylinders and within proper specifications by performing a COMPRESSION TEST on the motor .
Old 06-08-05, 07:32 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dejacky
From what I've read, mileage on th emotor is insignificant if you want to add a turbo system. BUT, you must make sure the compression is even on all the cylinders and within proper specifications by performing a COMPRESSION TEST on the motor .
Yeah that is also what I hear. Where can I get my car compression tested and how much would it cost to do? If the compressions turns out to be lower than stock, what should I do to correct this problem?
Old 06-08-05, 08:04 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, if you've got over 150,000 miles on your engine & transmission, thinking about a GTE swap may be a more effective solution... yes. the GE lives a relatively easy life, but none the less, 150k is 150k, we've got strong engines, but they weren't forged on mount olympus by zeus himself using the hammer of thor.

the BL or dave-h kit will net you 350 rwhp NA-T w/out a head gasket... a GTE swap w/ BPU parts would do you for about 400 rwhp... and better torque.

it may be slightly more expensive & invovled, but from what I've seen on the web, cars w/ GTE swaps sell for more money than NA-T SCs, and it's a cleaner looking install... looks isn't everything, right? Well, cars are like ladies, ones that got it all together are much more attractive

Yes, you can get the Dave-H intake manifold, but c'mon guys, it's $700 and we're talking about, and you've still got the distributor to deal with.

In my mind, a GTE swap is a more involved project, but more of a complete solution.... not to mention, all the ebay turbo manifolds are at your disposal if the stock twins (good for about 450 rwhp) don't satisfy your need for boost.

and speaking of ebay manifolds, let's not get into that bit about them being crap over here, read up on SF -- one guy is trying to build a 800 rwhp MKIV out of ebay parts... it could be a really great model to follow.

Ok, it's late, I'm gonna quit before I fall any further behind.
Old 06-08-05, 08:37 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So which car is getting the carputer? lol

BL will sell their kits for $4k occasionally, so wait around for one of those sales if you can. Its the best kit out there IMO. And mileage really isnt as big of a factor as much has how well the motor was treated over the course of those miles

If you can afford a 2JZ-GTE swap, have you considered a 1JZ?

~Matt
Old 06-08-05, 09:36 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Yeah that is also what I hear. Where can I get my car compression tested and how much would it cost to do? If the compressions turns out to be lower than stock, what should I do to correct this problem?
replace the piston rings
Old 06-09-05, 01:17 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
Yes, you can get the Dave-H intake manifold, but c'mon guys, it's $700 and we're talking about, and you've still got the distributor to deal with.
I think the stock manifold works just fine. Maybe port and polish it a bit but its fine. Im keeping it for my turbo setup.
Old 06-09-05, 08:43 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

The SC4 is getting the Carputer. I need navi in there. hahaha! As for the SC3, The BL kit is the way I am going to go. 2jzgte is great but... I am in Italy and Its a hassle getting one shipped here with all the taxes they have. And a SC3 already swapped is way out of my price range I think, And I want the Pleasure to build my own car up and not worry about if someone else made a mistake on the engine. I think the 2jz-ge is stout enough to hold what I want out of it. And are saying that the Dave H intake manifold is useless because of the distributor? Not trying to flame just asking a question. Mteele the 1jz is a cheaper option but again I am in Italy, eventhough there are plenty of soarers in England but the English Pound, Pounds the Dollar. Not worth it. Anyone know the Top Speed Of a NA-T SC3 guessing? And what would it Take to get a 12.0 flat or just above. And what clutch are you guys using on THE w58 to hold 350-400RWHP. Everyone on SupraForums says different things. Thanks guys
Old 06-09-05, 09:19 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

buy the BL kit
best bang for your buck since you are not in the US
and you get what you pay for
Old 06-09-05, 09:33 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

DaveH's exhaust turbo manifold clears the distributor fine, I talked to him about it recently. I THINK he said the largest turbo you can use and still not touch the distributor is a pt67 size turbo. He also told me his turbo manifold will spool turbos faster lower in the rpm range compared to most other kits out there like the boost logic kit. However, once you go past 500rwhp, the boost logic kit is more "efficient" thant he DaveH turbo manifold. But if your goal is 500rwhp or below, it seems like the DaveH turbo manifold is a good deal. They have 1 year warranty and not a single one has cracked since they are cast steel manifolds. hope this helps .
Old 06-09-05, 03:32 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I was refering to the fact that you can get the dave-H intake manifold to make it GTE-ish... but you still have the distributor, whereas the GTE has coil ignition.

It's your choice obviously, but I wanted to give you some fuel for thought.

As far as just port and polishing the intake manifold, and it'll be fine for boost.... yeah, if you're only in it for about 450 rwhp. I haven't seen any dyno results from changing the intake manifold, but just look at the routing of all those pipes -- the GTE intake manifold is inherently more efficent, esp when boost is introduced.

And even the stock GTE intake manifold isn't good enough for the ~900+ HP crowd...

JT
Old 06-09-05, 06:55 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Is anyone here running mid to low 12's in NA-T trim? What is your setup. And is it on the stock W58 tranny?