Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power steering replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-05, 07:46 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering replaced

Hey this is my first post so just want to thank ya'll first for all the info to help me buy my 5spd in the 1st place.
anyway knew the power steering was leaking so i replaced it with the rebuild from auto zone.(has a life time waranty) now the car draves like a lexus should
if any other newbies want to save some $$ ill tell you how to do it in the garage so you can keep that extra 200-300 for something else.
and if your building your sc one pay check at a time like me dont have someone else do it.
so thanks for everyone elses good info and i hope i can help some one out too
Old 04-24-05, 08:55 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

It is always good to have a write-up on here so feel free to post it. I am sure a lot of people would be interested in reading it.

Also, pics of the car.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 04-24-05, 09:05 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

Ok ill hit you up with how i did the switch but im headed out to work so ill post as soon as i get in and ill also try to get some pics up.
Old 04-24-05, 09:56 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

We've had a couple of writeups, but the more info the better. Post away!

My PS pump is from autozone also and has been in for 2 years.
Old 04-24-05, 07:05 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

ok guys i know there is a correct dealership way to do this but i'm from the south so here is how I did it.
first is to get the resevoir off the first bolt is on top of the pump but you have to stick the socket threw the pully to get it. and the other two are on the back of the pump. then unclamp the hose that ataches to the side of the resevoir. it is better to do this not at the first coupleing but at the second. that way if you were to lazy to drain the system you wont dump fluid all over the alternater. be ready with a shop towel because obviously there is a conection at the bottem of the resevoir to the pump.
the next step is to remove the two vacume lines they run from the bottem right side of the pump off the fitting up to the manifold and valvecover.
next is the serpentine belt. (REDNECK TIP #1) take a long and big flat head skrewdriver place perpendicular to the belt on the engine side. Then grab each end of the srewdriver so that the belt runs between your hand and over the skrewdriver. Then pull really hard so the skrewdriver is wedged between the belt and pully then flop it off. (I wish i could have seen a lex technicians face when i did this)
next you remove the banjo fitting at the bottem right that the vacume lines attached to this recuires an adjutable wrench for the black upper half and a standard socket with torque wrench for the bottem half. (no the bolt is not standard but it is close enough not to strip it.)
last of all there are two more bolts that you acsess threw the pully and it's off.
Then use a Pully puller to remove the pully (REDNECK TIP #2) A crowbar works to just be gental and ****ch sides each time you yank on it.
now simply put the new pump in place(with out the pully) remount all the bolts lines resevoir, ect.
Now put the pully on (REDNECK TIP #3) place the pully on the shaft then place a socket over it and hit with a hammer to gently slide the pully onto the splines .Maker sure the pully is on the right way.
Then replace the belt. By now the tensioner will have tried to take up all the slack so just give it hell and have a buddy use a skrewdriver to pop it in place.
Then fill it up with fluid which won't take much since you were to lazy to drain the system. Let it sit for a few min. and fill up again. Then drive to the local Jiffy- lube and get your power steering flushed and your done.
That is the redneck way to fix the pump and it only costs 180(pump)+40(puller rental) - 40 (puller return)+ 3(bottle of fluid) - 80(core charge) = $100
Steering like your grandad's Cadi Priceless.
Old 04-25-05, 04:12 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

I had a leaking power steering pump on my SC300. I went ahead and purchased an autozone pump instead of buying oem at a very high cost. Prior to taking the pump off I thought I would just clean off the pump ,run engine and very carefully inspect the pump from all angles useing a little mechanics mirror, Sure enough I saw the leak at the resevoir connection. Took it off(resevoir) and replaced the little 20cent o-ring. Works like a charm now. Returned pump to autozone. What started all of this was that my mechanic had seen the leak while recharging my AC. Of course he was ready to gouge me for a new oem pump AND labor and didn't even bother to locate the leak. Took me all of 10 minutes to clean and check for the leak and 1/2 hour to fix the problem myself.
Old 04-25-05, 04:18 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

Me too. Well actualy my resivoir didn't even have and o-ring!
But it was also leaking in the front when i got the old pully of it seal on the front had tons of grime in it. And since I bought the car knowing it was like this i just replaced it . Bc it had been run with out fluid for a while! it actualy sounded like a prostock blower. Let me tell you in GA if it sounds like its got a blower people will ask if its blown.
Anyway just desided it would be best to get a whole new one.
Old 05-30-05, 05:24 AM
fossten
Driver School Candidate

Mine's not leaking at all, but the power steering isn't functional...a mechanic told me over the phone that it could be either the pump or the rack and pinion. What do you guys think?
Old 05-31-05, 09:46 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

He's right.

And I lived with the leak for a couple of years, but when your steering pump gets that turbine/prostock blower sound, it is on a fast path to destruction.