Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 01:23 PM
GliTCH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default torque converter

posted a while back about vibrations from the engine.. the mechanic that replaced my timing belt after my tensioner mishap told me its the torque converter. now the vibrations occur even when i rev the engine and the tranny is in park. i dont know much about transmissions and torque converters, would a bad TC or tranny fluid cause vibrations even while im revving the car is sitting in park?
Old 04-23-05, 12:58 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could it be engine amount???
Don't know where it vibrates.
Old 04-23-05, 03:47 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GliTCH
posted a while back about vibrations from the engine.. the mechanic that replaced my timing belt after my tensioner mishap told me its the torque converter. now the vibrations occur even when i rev the engine and the tranny is in park. i dont know much about transmissions and torque converters, would a bad TC or tranny fluid cause vibrations even while im revving the car is sitting in park?
I have never heard of such a thing. There is no reason that I can think of that the TC would make the car vibrate.

Now motor mounts is a different story. Check those.

Jonny
Old 04-24-05, 06:24 PM
GliTCH
Rookie

i cant figure out whats wrong with my car and im starting to think the people i go to cant figure it out either but wont admit it. im taking it to my lexus dealer.. i hope theyre competent enough to help me out.
Old 04-24-05, 10:19 PM
chrisman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only time i have ever felt a vibration from the convertor was because the input shaft on the trans broke.. the convertor is bolted to the flywheel, and unless the bolts came off-highly unlikely- there is almost no reason that a previously fine, balanced convertor would cause a vibration.. im pretty sure that at least one of your cylinders is not firring.. this could cause the vib that you feel.. and the missing cyl could be anything from a plug not firring to a fuel injector that isnt working..
more specific info on what its doing would help determine the cause..
Old 04-29-05, 06:19 AM
GliTCH
Rookie

you guys were right, the mechanic that replaced my belt was full of it. i took it to Lexus and they told me the timing was off, got a loaner ES330 for a day and a $540 repair quote. got a call the next morning and they said the car was done, charged me $350 only and got treated like a pimp. rides perfect, no more CEL, no more hesitation. It's funny how fault tolerant these cars are, even with a bad timing belt installation job the car started up, ran great and didnt show any signs of it--except under WOT

had the rest of the car diagnosed and the only recommendations they made were to replace engine and tranny mounts.