Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam experts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 01:34 PM
rodan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting observation with the oil gauge

I recently Sea Foamed my 1995 Dodge Stealth RT Turbo with 117,000 miles on it. This car was well maintained and very frequent oil changes using Mobil 1. Before, it had a slight rough idle and the oil pressure gauge would read 1/3rd with slight valve noise at idle with the engine at operating temperature. I used the Brake booster line and a small funnel. Made sure to add slowly but the engine would hesitate as the Sea Foam was going in so I opened the throttle a bit as I was slowly pouring 1/2 can of the Sea Foam in to keep the engine from dying. It smoked light crazy for about 5 minutes and smoked alittle for about 5 minutes more until all smoke was gone. I did open the throttle up and reved the engine while it was smoking. Afterwards, I added a whole can of Sea Foam to the crank, idled for 10 minutes then did an oil change with Mobil 1. When I walked to the back of the car when everything was done, I noticed that the tail pipes spit out black, thick, tar like oil residue the amount of a Hersey Kiss and stained the concrete. I had to use brake cleaner to get it off.

The Results:
Oil pressure went up to 1/2 from 1/3, smoother idle and the valve noise went away. Quicker throttle response. Car revs up so much smoother at all rev ranges. I check gas mileage every tank and did not notice any difference.

Now some of the results can be just mental but the residue and the oil pressure readings is factual. I think it has definate and measurable results. I am going to do it to my 96 SC300 NA-T as soon as it's time for a oil change. Maybe sooner because I just can't wait!!! Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-14, 10:09 PM
CDriver
Driver School Candidate

I had bought an 02 GS300 and after a week it ran like total crap, throwing codes the whole nine. I put a full can in the gas tank and filled up with 93 and it ran great till I sold it two years later.
Old 04-20-14, 10:20 PM
LS430forMe
Driver School Candidate

Default Seafoam

When I Seafoamed my '93 SC400, there was so much smoke that a random passerby stopped, whipped out his cell phone and started taking a video. He must have thought my car was on fire!
Old 04-21-14, 05:07 PM
LoudonMan
Rookie

I have used it for years on a number of cars. Adding it thorough either the brake booster hose or PVC line is a two man operation. First, warn your neighbors that you are going to make some smoke so they don't call the FD. One person works the throttle as the engine will stumble while adding it slowly through one of the above mentioned methods. Go slow! It will smoke a lot. But you wil notice an immediate improvement. This is really just a temporary fix, as you should remove your kegger (intake plenum) and intake lowers. That is the real fix to get the coke and carbon out. Gasket set is $23.00 on Rock Auto and well worth your time and trouble IMHO. Also, remove the throttle body and remove the carbon using a top quality cleaner and an old toothbrush. Good proven performance fix.

Last edited by LoudonMan; 04-21-14 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 09:54 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seafoamed my 95 sc300 yesterday I put 1/3 a can in the PVC valve area. It smoked like crazy for like ten minutes. Haven't had a chance to test drive it yet but am expecting good things. Would it help to do this process again today? Maybe add another 1/3 can to the PVC area since my car has 215K? Would this hurt it?
Old 09-27-15, 01:53 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing I used to love about Sea-Foam was the smoke-show :P
Doesn't everybody?

I used it most, on my '03 Mitsubishi Lancer, which I purchased new; as well as a couple times on my '98 Jeep Wrangler.
Funny, 'cus I took pretty good-care of the Lancer; it wasn't an old car either; so I dunno why it smoked like it did ... But it did, and it was awesome.

That said, I've Sea-Foamed my '97 SC300 at least 4x now since 2012 (always before an oil change), and NOT ONCE have a seen any smoke out the exhaust ...
Maybe a lil', like what you't get from a cigarette, but that's really it.
Hardly the CLOOOUDS you see from other cars, or what I got out of my Lancer.

Not Once.

So I assume that's a good sign; it means that my SC is pretty damn clean internally; no?

I did the same as everyone else - 1/3 in the Tank (on "E"), 1/3 in the Oil port, and 1/3 in the Intake.

Nada. Clean. I was actually a bit disappointed, lol.
Old 09-28-15, 02:47 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

just realized that seafoam is pretty pointless to our engines since they're 4 stroke. read some more about seafoam and it's meant for 2 stroke boat engines. there's other 4 stroke gas and engine cleaners that i'll be trying out cz seafoam didn't seem to do anything to mine except the smoke.
Old 10-15-17, 04:37 AM
alexf415
Driver School Candidate

you can use that too...
Old 10-15-17, 04:48 AM
alexf415
Driver School Candidate

Default Seafoam experience

I used seafoam on my Celica and Sienna with great success. I know that my celica stopped burnng oil after seafoam. I always use the full bottle on Gas and also on vacuum hose. I haven't done it yet on my is250 yet i will do it soon as I have the chance.
Old 10-15-17, 05:29 AM
962jzsc415
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I used two cans within the last 7k miles for the first time ever. HONESTLY FELT A DIFFERENCE AFTER 4 GALLONS OF GAS WAS RAN THROUGH. BETTER ACCELERATION AND MPG. My MPG indicator reads 23.6
Before it was at 21 mpg.
Old 11-29-21, 06:12 PM
RichDepp
Driver School Candidate

Seriously?
Read the can!!
Available at Wally World!!
Dump the whole can in a near empty tank and fill it up.
Highly recommended in California before getting an older car smogged.
Recommended by my Smog guy.
Never used in Oil or Intake. (Figured mixed with the gas would take care of the intake?)
Just my 2c.