Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Do i need a 5 speed engine harness for a manual tranny swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-05, 06:50 PM
sniper
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need a 5 speed engine harness for a manual tranny swap?

Just wondering if one has to swap the engine harness as well as the ECU when swapping a 92 SC over from auto to manual. we'v got everything else ready to go.
Old 01-30-05, 10:08 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have "heard" that the auto ECU alters timing during every shift since so you might want to consider getting a manual ECU. Where are you located in Cali? Are you doing the swap yourself or is a shop doing it for you?
Old 01-30-05, 10:14 PM
sniper
Lead Lap

I am doing the swap my self, and i have a MT ECU, but i need to know if the actual engine harness it plugs into is different.
Old 01-31-05, 06:46 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

Its the same harness. All you should have to do is bypass the neutral start switch and you can drive like that
Old 01-31-05, 08:56 AM
sniper
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bean_8044
Its the same harness. All you should have to do is bypass the neutral start switch and you can drive like that

Or i could just wire that switch to the one on the clutch pedal so when the clutch is in, its in "N" Right?
Old 02-01-05, 02:03 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

Not necessarily. Theres two wires that have to be bridged for the car to start, and then you dont even need to have a gear selected. On mine, i just have the two wires bridged and then reverse is hooked up to the trans. If i start it up and never put it in reverse, the lights on the dash never light up. If i put it into reverse, all of the lights come on and it shows reverse selected. Once i move out of reverse the selection goes out, but the gears(P N R D 2 1) stay lit
Old 02-01-05, 09:32 AM
sniper
Lead Lap

Not necessarily. Theres two wires that have to be bridged for the car to start, and then you dont even need to have a gear selected. On mine, i just have the two wires bridged and then reverse is hooked up to the trans. If i start it up and never put it in reverse, the lights on the dash never light up. If i put it into reverse, all of the lights come on and it shows reverse selected. Once i move out of reverse the selection goes out, but the gears(P N R D 2 1) stay lit

I actully have a 5 speed cluster. So, this is my plan. I am going to wire the N start to the clutch switch, or just hook it up solid, and for R, where does that wire go? Is there a spot on the tranny where i hook up the R wires so the R lights light up?
Old 02-02-05, 01:58 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

no, you dont need to do anything with neutral. theres one main wire for gear selection that connects to others to determine the gear, so if you want reverse, thatll be connected to the trans along with the reverse wire. One main wire and then six others for the gears...

So theres the neutral start wires(doesnt have anything to do with neutral)
then theres the one main gear wire and the reverse wire that goes to the reverse switch on the transmission
Old 02-02-05, 11:07 AM
sniper
Lead Lap

no, you dont need to do anything with neutral. theres one main wire for gear selection that connects to others to determine the gear, so if you want reverse, thatll be connected to the trans along with the reverse wire. One main wire and then six others for the gears...

So theres the neutral start wires(doesnt have anything to do with neutral)
then theres the one main gear wire and the reverse wire that goes to the reverse switch on the transmission

Great, thank you for your help I dont have the SC300 repair maunal yet, that would have made everything easier. Anyhow, auto tranny is going to probibly come out tonight and if were lucky, the 5 speed will be in, but still have to get the petal and clutch stuff in.

Oh ya, anyone know the torque specs for the clutch and flywheel and anything else i might need? im sure the repair manual would have it, but sadly i dont have that yet......

Last edited by sniper; 02-02-05 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 02:02 PM
convoy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey sniper, where did u get ur clutch pedal/ assembly.. brake pedal.. from? just wondering cause i'm hoping to do a manual swap in the future and am missing the pedals. I already have the ecu, slave, and trans lined up.