Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another Alt/Batt/Starter prob.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 03:18 PM
JadeSCFour
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Alt/Batt/Starter prob.

I just searched for about 40 minutes to try to find a definitive answer from posts about similar problems. None of the threads I viewed showed the same symptoms, so I decided to post.

Yesterday I was working on the exterior of the car so i pulled it back behind my house. I turned it off, did my stuff, and then tried to turn it back on to put it back out front. I turned the key to on, the stereo, lights and peripherals all came on with no problem, but then when i turned it to "start" the whole car shut down, everything black until i let go of trying to start it. The starter made no noise whatsoever, turning the key simply shutdown everything. The lights etc. had been on for around 20 minutes while i was doing my work, so overnight i charged the battery with a 50 amp current. At the time, I also tapped what i thought was the starter (rear of the engine) to no avail. Before charging the battery overnight, i tried to start it with a 10 amp current attached to the battery, which yielded nothing. Then i upped the amperage to 50, with no response. With the 50 amp current the starter clicked, or at least made an effort, but without the power attached, no sound emanated from my engine bay. It started fine today after 7 hrs @ 50 amps, and did not stall out or shutoff when driving. I've started it multiple times since.

I would think that the battery was just drained... but I got a new battery 2 weeks ago, and it simply didnt add up, b/c the stereo and lights werent dim or anything (A La Lexus manual). The question is, would my parking lights being left on for 20-30 minutes drain the battery beyond recognition?

Lexus quoted me $1035.00 for a new starter + install. Pep Boys wants to replace my alternator. Please help! Like I said, it runs fine now after the charge, but with an alternator or a starter, the problem comes and goes, and i dont want to get stranded.

I sincerely apologize if there is an easy answer in past threads, and any imput is help to me, the mechanically-ignorant.
Old 06-28-04, 06:06 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, does your starter make a "clicking" noise when you turn the key. Or is there no noise at all??

If it makes the clicking noise, and the engine doesnt begin to turn over at all..then I know exactly what your problem is
Old 06-29-04, 11:08 AM
JadeSCFour
Driver School Candidate

Initially, there was a single click. I got out and had someone else do it, and there was clicking, but not from the starter attempting to turn over. I got more response from the starter when I ran a 50 amp current to the battery.
Old 06-29-04, 03:26 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

I think the clicking means the starter isnt working, thats what it was for me. I just took out the starter and replaced the contacts. I made a thread on here, but there were no replies, haha.
Old 06-29-04, 03:31 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by indelible
I think the clicking means the starter isnt working, thats what it was for me. I just took out the starter and replaced the contacts. I made a thread on here, but there were no replies, haha.
Yea, I did that same thing 2 weeks ago. Had to actually remove/reinstall the starter twice before it was trouble-free

I dont really know what your problem is JadeSCFour, sorry
Old 06-29-04, 05:58 PM
SwampFox
Rookie

Before you do anything expensive, first remove the battery cables. Clean the battery posts and the insides of the battery cables with a wire brush or sand paper until the surfaces are clean. Place a light coating of grease on the posts and interior surface of the cables. Replace and tighten the cables. Connections must be clean and tight including the frame ground and the connection to the starter.
Old 06-29-04, 11:23 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

try jumping it. If you can jump it, i would bank on it being the battery terminals/posts
same thing happened in my supra. new wire terminals = $3 at pepboys and my problem was solved. Try to get rid of any acid buildup on the posts then install the new posts. SHould take 5 minutes max. Guy at autozone insisted on doing it for me. THen it started right up.
goodluck
Old 07-01-04, 06:30 AM
JadeSCFour
Driver School Candidate

Heh, the battery is 2 wks old (Duralast Gold) and the terminals are clean. Hopefully it was a fluke, as i have had no more problems since then.