Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

QUIET! (exhaust) wanted....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 09:06 PM
neagan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUIET! (exhaust) wanted....

I've spent hours sifting through all the exhaust info, yet am not finding a reference to something that's much better free-flowing than the stock system yet dosn't get the wife or neighbors disgusted. My local dealer suggested that Flowmasters would be both quieter and cheaper than most systems.

Any semi-quiet deep rumblin' systems out there in Lexus Land??? Nitro
Old 06-14-04, 09:36 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people including myself are running on the Magnaflow SS #14829 setup....Quiet, subtle yet aggressive at the same time....Do a search

Welcome!
Old 06-15-04, 01:10 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't use massive piping either. I'm running a 3" exhaust system (all through), with twin resonators and hi-flow rear mufflers with 4" tips. This exhaust is nice at idle or when cruising, but from 2000~2800rpm the car is audible, anything above 2800rpm you just hear the engine roaring away... gotta love it! Remember though, mine is a twin turbo so it'll sound different on a V8 (most likely anyway). A buddy of mine has a V8 Soarer, and he's got a 2.5" cat. back exhaust, very nice and sounds great when given some throttle. His exhaust is basically the same set up as mine (coincidentally we got it done at the same place too haha).

Jose
Old 06-15-04, 11:01 AM
neagan
Rookie

Default possible concences for quieter SC400 exhaust...

From several more hours of reading old posts on the MAGNAFLOW, I think if I put on a pair of #14829's, and remove (yes/no?) the center resonator, I won't be shooting myself in the foot? (My wife wouldn't even ride in my last two cars -Supra/Civic because of the resonation issue)

Do I still really need to do a crossover of some sort, or can I get by without it.?.
Old 06-17-04, 09:34 PM
LexywannaB
Driver School Candidate

Can't answer your question about the crossover, but I'm in a similar situation as yourself...

Looking for a quite exhaust to help the engine breathe a little easier. Like the quiteness in terms of being a sleeper also. Anyway, could you save me a few hours of searching and explain (briefly) what a crossover is/does? I understand most everything else ya'll are talking about, but that is going over my head.

Many thanks!

Unashamed,
Tripp
Old 06-18-04, 07:46 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the crossover (for instance, x-pipe) is used to increase flow and even out the exhaust pulses.

for a quiet setup don't do anything too extreme. do stock piping, keep the resonators (or buy aftermarket ones) and buy sensible mufflers. you should be well on your way then.
Old 06-18-04, 09:52 AM
neagan
Rookie

Default Exhuast is done/ VERY Pleased....

I just got the exhaust done and I am THRILLED with the quietness and much deeper exhaust note!!!! I thank everyone here for your assistence with this. I did a Flowmaster 'Y' just behind the second converter, 2 1/4" piping up through the new Magnaflow #14829's, and new SS tips. It is waaayyyyyyy quieter than the Dynomax system I had on my 88 Supra, which used to set off car alarms with the exhaust pulses!
Total was just over $500. Again, Thank You! Nitro
Old 06-18-04, 11:47 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats....They will break in and be deeper in tone....They usually take 6months to a year to break in....I had my Magnaflows for a year and they sound mean, yet still quiet when cruising....
Old 06-18-04, 11:48 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Exhuast is done/ VERY Pleased....

Originally posted by neagan
I just got the exhaust done and I am THRILLED with the quietness and much deeper exhaust note!!!! I thank everyone here for your assistence with this. I did a Flowmaster 'Y' just behind the second converter, 2 1/4" piping up through the new Magnaflow #14829's, and new SS tips. It is waaayyyyyyy quieter than the Dynomax system I had on my 88 Supra, which used to set off car alarms with the exhaust pulses!
Total was just over $500. Again, Thank You! Nitro
nice you will also see an improvement in performance.

congrats!