Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

starter clicking

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-04, 12:12 AM
jalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool starter clicking

I tried starting my SC400 today and it just clicked once or twice and then silence. All the lights are working and the steering wheel retraction is fine. I checked the battery leads and they are clean and tight. So I'm thinking maybe something's stuck in the starter. I've seen others tap their starters with a wrench or hammer in similar situations and it worked. My question is, how do I get to the starter in an SC400? For those who have replaced their starters, do you have to get to it by removing everything down to the intake manifold or is it accessible from underneath? Is there a way I can just stick something down there to give it a good whack? I'll look at it again in the daytime but any advice would greatly help. Thanks.
Old 05-30-04, 12:22 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Have never changed a starter on a SC before but have changed many others, I would say it is most defenitely acesible from underneath just get under there man and you should see it.
Old 05-30-04, 01:31 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

/Sounds like your batt. voltage could be just low enough to cause a problem while still allowing all the accessories to work.
Old 06-02-04, 07:25 PM
jalex
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I checked the voltage across the battery terminals and I'm getting over 12 V. So it seems the battery is ok. The starter relay in the fuse box also checks out ok. I want to check the connections to the starter itself but I can't seem to find it or see it. Anyone know where the starter is on a '92 SC400? I've seen them on other cars but it seems hidden on the SC400. Please help.
Old 06-02-04, 08:18 PM
TxLexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your starter is bad. The starter is located in the center towards the rear of the motor.

Reason you cant find it, is because it sits in the valley of the V8.

You gota remove alot of stuff, once everything is remove then you got the two bolts that holds the starter and its not easy to remove.

I find it impossible to remove the starter from the bottom.
You should do a search on Starter. I list some information on it.
This job was probably one of the hardest and longest job, I ve ever done.

Good luck
Old 06-03-04, 12:06 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Before removing all that crap check to see if there's a Sear's in your area. They do electrical checks for $9.99 and can usually pinpoint where the problem lies (battery, alt, or starter) or you can hook it up to one of those machines at Pep Boys (or wherever) and get the same info. Point is, have one of those places do a $10 check for you before you dedicate hours of your time to removing all that stuff.
Old 06-03-04, 06:34 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

This is very costly job for a starter. Plenum has to be removed, there is no other way.
Usualy all it needs on other Toyos with similar symptoms is replacement of erroded starter contacts. On V8 there is just to much stuff to bother with and to much labor involved to do just contacts on high milage car. I would recomand high quality reman starter to you or even new starter if you have enough cash....

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-03-04 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 09:48 PM
TxLexus
Driver

Originally posted by EUROJulian
This is very costly job for a starter. Plenum has to be removed, there is no other way.
Usualy all it needs on other Toyos with similar symptoms is replacement of erroded starter contacts. On V8 there is just to much stuff to bother with and to much labor involved to do just contacts on high milage car. I would recomand high quality reman starter to you or even new starter if you have enough cash....
I agree, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT AUTOZONE OR OREILLY STARTER.
Just spend about 300bucks and get the lexus starter. Trust me on this one.
Old 06-04-04, 11:18 PM
Deesc4
Driver School Candidate

I just spent $750 on a rebuild starter + labor at lexus dealership last month. Good luck!
Old 07-05-04, 11:00 AM
stock300
Driver

I'd try replacing the relatively inexpensive starter relay in the fuse box before changing the starter. My LS400 had similar problems so I swapped the relay from my SC300 with the LS400 and no problems so far. I'd hate to try and remove the starter. Lots of work from what I can deduce from the shop manual. Next step is to pick up a new relay at Lexus.
Old 07-05-04, 12:12 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can gaurantee you its the starter contacts. You know why? Cause I had this EXACT same problem in my 92 SC3 a few weeks ago. As for removing the starter on an SC4, I cant help you there. But after getting the starter out, open up the solenoid and you will see 2 copper *things* (the contacts), they will most likely be worn down quite a bit or maybe all the way. You need to buy a battery side contact rebuild kit, and a motor side contact rebuild kit from Toyota or autozone

Good luck
Old 09-18-04, 02:01 PM
lexussc400
Driver School Candidate

Default not starting int the morning

i'm having the same problem. It's been happening for 5 days...when it's really cold overnight my car won't start in the morning till later in the afternoon when it's hot. I was hoping it was the spark plugs or fuel pump. I got it towed and they did a diagnostic and everything was fine...spark plugs were working but really needed to be changed. I was also hoping that it was the battery but when i try to start...lights, radio works fine. I know about the starter contacts being worn down over high mileage so i went to the dealer and they recommend to change the starter switch that includes the contacts. He also told me that it is a common problem and he has change two cars with starter contacts being worn down and the reason why it does not start in the morning is because the starter contacts are made off copper and at night when it's very cold..the copper will shrink. My question is, should i just change the contacts?? I have an sc400 and it takes about 5 hours to get to the starter. Is it wise to change the whole starter switch? Please help!!!!!
Old 11-16-04, 09:39 AM
stock300
Driver

Replacing the starter relay on my 95 LS400 helped my starting problem for about 2 weeks and then the intermittent "clicking" problem started again. I replaced the 750 Amp CCA battery with a 1000 CCA battery and that helped for a while but the problem is back. One last try with new battery connectors and then I'll have to bite the bullet with a starter replacement. This is a big job as per my shop manual and I don't think that I'll tackle this one even though I've done timing belts, water pumps, etc. It sure was easier in the old days when all you had to do was remove 2 bolts from the bell housing and the starter wire to remove the starter.My guess is that the magnetic switch in the starter is starting to degrade. There is a brush kit as per the manual but considering the expense, I'd replace the starter. REecalls on starters were from April 95 to Feb.98 and mine was built in Feb95 so it looks like I'm out of luck there.
Old 11-16-04, 10:15 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This is most likely caused by starter not getting enough energy. If you have an old battery it's time to replace it. You'll have problems especally when it's cold.

The one time I experienced something like this I checked the battery voltage and it showed 12 too, but I was not convinced. Replaced the battery and problem solved.

Chris
Old 11-16-04, 10:28 AM
stock300
Driver

This is a brand new battery and I installed a new alternator while I was at it. The car has 106k miles so the alternator change was not a complete waste. I usually change the brushes on my alternators at about 100k miles which adds a lot more life to the alternator but I procrastinated. Not a difficult job to pull the alternator and change the brushes. The brush kit is about $15 and I'd recommend it to those of you with high mileage Lexus' . My other car is a '93 SC300 and that starter is much easier to access althoug I haven't had any problems with it knock on wood.