Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Funny noise from center console/shifter area

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 10:00 AM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Funny noise from center console/shifter area

Over spring break, I drove my car about 1500 miles to various locations. It did great w/ no problems. On sunday, driving down the highway a wierd noise started comming from the console/shifter area. It sounds almost like static or something fizzing really loud. Over the past few days it has been intermittent- more often i don't hear the sound. I also just had the tranny mount replaced. Anybody know what it could be?
Old 04-14-04, 10:51 AM
Jim Meader
Driver School Candidate

There are two rubber based mounting disks on your drive shaft (front & back) if they are damaged in any way they will give you an intermintent vibration, mostly when under load like leaving a stop light then go away once you are up to speed.

Something to check, visual inspection should do it. Mine were bad and caused the above described vibration. Problem is the rubber disks are $200 a peice, there is also a center bearing in the middle of the drive shaft which is $280. The whole drive shaft assymbly front to back is $850, mine is 12 years old so I choose to replace the whole thing.

Paying a trusted Lexus dealership for the inspection may be worth the money, so you do not replace something without solving the problem.

Good Luck
Old 04-14-04, 12:51 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could also be a bent heatshield along the exhaust system, or debris caught up under your car. Get your car up on a lift and visually inspect. You can bend the heatshields back out if they appear as if they are too close to other parts. Hopefully this is the case as the fix is free!
Old 04-14-04, 01:03 PM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Turned out to be the rubber grommet (sp?) that the shifter goes down through. It had cracked somehow and a piece was hanging down bouncing off the driveshaft as it spun. I took the console area apart yesterday to check into it, took it for a drive while disassembled, and looked down to see my driveshaft spinning. I removed the part that was hanging down, but now there is a decent sized hole there. Anybody have any ideas of what to cover it up with? It's a tiny space to get down in there.
Thanks