Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question About The Dashpot In The Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-04, 05:07 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About The Dashpot In The Throttle Body

The dashpot is this device in the throttle body that supposedly lets the butterfly valve close slowly when you quickly release the gas pedal. This allows the revs to drop slower when you are shifting, hence you get more time to shift. However my tranny's syncros are worn, so I tend to double clutch from first to second, hence my want for the revs to drop faster to complete the shift faster.

Anyways, I was thinking that disabling the dashpot would be beneficial (by loosening a screw would help drop the revs faster). BUT, the other reason for the dashpot is to allow some air to pass through the slightly opened valve to burn off with the excess fuel in the combustion chamber after you lift off the gas pedal. I have read that some cars may stall if the gas pedal is released quickly. Has anyone gotten into this subject?
Old 02-06-09, 08:49 AM
2JZuL8r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old topic but no one seemed to reply with any information about this subjext matter. Same as the first post, I am wanting to adjust or disable the throttle dashpot but would like to know the benefits/problems. The delay between shifts is kind of annyoing, makes shifting very smoothly difficult, and you can hear the synchros sometimes especially between first and second gear. Anyone with some information please share. Anyone who adjusted or disabled the throttle dashpot please post your results/issues with doing this. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-09, 04:43 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you are talking about the thing on the throttle body that has a vacuum line coming to it and its black and circular then yes i have removed it and there are no negative effects. i took it off just to simplify things under the hood. those things are not necessary. i did that to the car about a month ago and it drives just like stock.