Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question/Poll for the NA-T/GTE swap guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 05:35 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question/Poll (sorta) for the NA-T/GTE swap guys

Just curious about how everyone's setups are running, if they are, and about any problems that you've had.
Like have they been constantly in the shop because something is always breaking? Gas milage? Drivability? How many are daily drivers or commuters? Taken them on road trips? Such-n-such...... also, please post on the basic setup you've got. Thanks!

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 12-10-03 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 11:14 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

150k on the car still running strong @ 12 psi!!!! no oil leaks or burning. Nothing has broken that wasn`t my fault. Basically no regrets. Gas mileage increased except when I get on it.
Old 12-10-03, 11:33 AM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Mines a daily driver. Haven't had any problems with reliability. Ive gone through one transmission (my fault) but other than that runs good! Drivability, it has little more vibration than stock but I can live with it. And gas mileage ehh its so-so. Depends on how heavy my right foot is, lol. I go on road trips every so often. Probably the longest one was driving it back from texas.

Last edited by TurboB6; 12-10-03 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 04:04 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Bored,
Car has 150k or you've put 150k on your turbo setup? Jus wonerding....... that's good to hear guys, hope you continue to have such luck! Anyone else?

TurboB6 - oh, I jus read about you car on your site. Very nice! Questions: why not the Getrag, did the swap (and new ECU) allow you to keep all the car's OEM functions, specifically cruise control? ANd I love your exhaust, I think that's what I'm gonna start saving for next.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 12-10-03 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 04:17 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Reliability ? Great.

Transmissions ? Junk.

I have gone thru 2 clutches and a tranny in 8k miles, such is life.

I have a VERY MINOR oil leak since doing the turbo kit ... thru 3,000 miles, I don't even need to add oil, it stays full, but I can't ignore the drop or two it leaves on the garage floor.

Gas mileage ... see my website - www.turboforum.net/lexus and click on Maintenance or Records, I forget which one ... I haven't updated it for a bit, but you get the idea ....

Driveability - my wife can go get groceries in it, what more can you ask for ? My 8 month old daughter sleeps during every car ride. It does stall here and there, but such is life.

Road trips ? No problem. New York, done that, Maryland, been there, Pittsburg, etc ... no problems.
Old 12-10-03, 04:49 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6psi on my setup; havent had any problems except IC hoses popping off; which is my fault... getting intake pipes with a lip on the end helps a lot...
other than that it runs great...
Old 12-10-03, 06:52 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Angel
[B]Gas mileage ... see my website - www.turboforum.net/lexus and click on Maintenance or Records, I forget which one ... I haven't updated it for a bit, but you get the idea ....
For anyone else curious, it equates to approximately 23 or 24 mpg....
Old 12-10-03, 08:52 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

My car has blown up 80 times

In all fairness, everytime my car broke was the same reason (bad crank)... It just took us a few motors to figure out, and this new motor has like 800 miles on it with zero problems since we got a new block and crank. I think it is pretty solid now.

-Ethan
Old 12-12-03, 02:41 PM
boostedh23
Driver School Candidate

angel do u have an oil catch can? i know when i turboed my prelude (i know its differnt) but i had oil leaks then i put on the catch can and they went away. just a thought
Old 12-12-03, 07:10 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

No, I do not. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 12-14-03, 12:27 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car has been a ****ing nitemare. I had my presure plate strip off of the fidanza flywheel, I had an oil line drop ,while I was crusing at about 55mph, and explode. i found it out when I nailed the brakes and almost lost control. The car stalled out constantly, even on an on ramp. The car didn't start alot of times. My climate control isn't hooked up. And about 4 months ago my lower radiator hose poped off, with the clip still atached. The car never started after that. 2 months later the head came off, to see that the head gasket was leaking and melted three of my pistons just enounh that I needed a full rebuild. The was on a motor with less than 15k. new short block etc... Anywase I was told last Tuesday, then this Tuesday, so I a hopeing that maybe after almost 5 months I will have my car back. This is from a full gte swap,AEM, with a rebuilt getrag 6 speed, supra brakes etc... All the stuff on the car should be good for 700rwhp+, all I would need is a turbo and fuel, but as far as I can tell this isn't going to happen. Sorry for the rant. -Brett
Old 12-14-03, 12:30 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 90redsupra
My car has been a ****ing nitemare. I had my presure plate strip off of the fidanza flywheel, I had an oil line drop ,while I was crusing at about 55mph, and explode. i found it out when I nailed the brakes and almost lost control. The car stalled out constantly, even on an on ramp. The car didn't start alot of times. My climate control isn't hooked up. And about 4 months ago my lower radiator hose poped off, with the clip still atached. The car never started after that. 2 months later the head came off, to see that the head gasket was leaking and melted three of my pistons just enounh that I needed a full rebuild. The was on a motor with less than 15k. new short block etc... Anywase I was told last Tuesday, then this Tuesday, so I a hopeing that maybe after almost 5 months I will have my car back. This is from a full gte swap,AEM, with a rebuilt getrag 6 speed, supra brakes etc... All the stuff on the car should be good for 700rwhp+, all I would need is a turbo and fuel, but as far as I can tell this isn't going to happen. Sorry for the rant. -Brett
Wow, Sorry to hear about this Brett I didn't realize it was that bad now. I thought it was few minor things.

Last edited by TurboB6; 12-14-03 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-14-03, 01:51 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
Bored,
Car has 150k or you've put 150k on your turbo setup? Jus wonerding....... that's good to hear guys, hope you continue to have such luck! Anyone else?

TurboB6 - oh, I jus read about you car on your site. Very nice! Questions: why not the Getrag, did the swap (and new ECU) allow you to keep all the car's OEM functions, specifically cruise control? ANd I love your exhaust, I think that's what I'm gonna start saving for next.
Sorry for the delayed response just saw this, lol. At the time the car was & still is an auto. I really didn't feel like paying the extra $$ to convert it over but I probably will this summer unless I change my mind again, lol. I have all OEM functions minus the cruise control. The intercooler pipe goes directly where the cruise box is. Thanks man.
Old 12-14-03, 04:29 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Sorry to hear about this Brett I didn't realize it was that bad now. I thought it was few minor things
I seem to have bad luck with cars, I have come to think of it as bad car karma. The wonderful things that have happend to my car should not have happened, yet they did. This is not a new occurance either, it has constantly happened. Do you remeber the remeber the IDRC event on the 29th, I was supposed to be there racing my car. The night before my flywheel exploded and shot a bolt out the bottom of the tranny, this should not happen with a fidanza flywheel/ RPS stage 3 clutch. This wasn't beacause I was launching the car either, I still have not droped the clutch. Anywase once it is done, I have a 3,000 mile break in period , which is going to be difficult. But once I am actually driving the car we should meet up so I can see you red beast. -Brett