NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

After 2 months of ownership some observations

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 10:36 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
It's your license plate rattling, not the sub. Try securing with mounting tape or felt.
Thanks...I saw someone mention that in another thread. I haven't gotten my tags yet so I assume it's the mounting plate that's rattling. once I get my official plate I'll secure it with some sound dampening material.
Old 05-20-15, 10:47 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

[QUOTE=leej865;9046391]
Originally Posted by tresmith00
I have had my car for about a week and I have a few nitpicks and gripes as well.

- - climate control doesn't work as well as expected. A/C feels a bit weak.

I would take this to the dealer then...my A/C is super cold. We've had some 90 degree days and I have had to turn the temp up because it was ice cold.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll set an appointment to get that looked at.

Originally Posted by philwojo
I agree on the climate temp controls on the steering wheel, I miss that from my 2006 Prius and from the car we traded for the NX 300h, a 2008 Hybrid Camry, both had that feature and we got used to it.

Why not put your cell phone either in the slot just above the CD player slot in the center counsel or in the arm rest on the door. I always use the arm rest on the door personally.

Phil
I actually do use the slot above the cd player. It's just that when I'm charging the phone the cable gets in the way. I just came out of a 2012 camry and they had a cubby with a usb port so I was able to charge and tuck away neatly the phone, cable and all.

In your pockets, in a jar at home? What the heck do you need spare change for in a car anymore? Isn't pretty much everywhere on earth going to an electronic toll system now days, what is the need for change in a car any more?
Lol...some of us still live in areas where there are parking meters and I like to keep spare change in the car just for that.

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Can we not just look at "spare change" as a proxy for "small miscellaneous items that I'd like to have a place for that's not the center console or glove box"? Like a pen or two and small pad of paper, a candy bar or a pack of gum, a shopping list and coupons, etc.

Simply put, I'd like it if there were more cubbies.
Agreed...I definitely like to keep a pen or two in the car just in case.

Originally Posted by leej865
I think some of you should have just purchased a Minivan...seems like everyone is using the phone, counting change, taking notes, plugging in multiple devices and drinking 32 ounce drinks while constantly changing the temperature and crinkling their seats as they rub their knees on the memory seat selector while resetting the trip-odometers.
Lol...hey we don't need minivans. it's called a sport utility vehicle for a reason and they're taking all the utility out it. LOL
Old 05-21-15, 03:32 AM
leej865
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00

Lol...hey we don't need minivans. it's called a sport utility vehicle for a reason and they're taking all the utility out it. LOL
A coin cubby does not an SUV make...but, there's your problem...it's not an SUV at all...it's a CUV.
Old 05-21-15, 07:41 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

In your pockets, in a jar at home? What the heck do you need spare change for in a car anymore? Isn't pretty much everywhere on earth going to an electronic toll system now days, what is the need for change in a car any more?
My reason is that I go to drive thrus occasionally. When the order is for say $ x.02, I don't want 98 cents back especially with no place to put it. So I'm used to just picking 2 pennies out of the holder. I don't carry change in my pockets either.
Old 05-21-15, 08:11 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

I think the software is in a great need of an update. It is nice but many of the settings seem clunky:
- you cannot automatically go to your home screen when you turn your vehicle on. It goes to Navigation or one of the other screens.
- I have not tested this but I believe at night you have to manually select the "day" setting or your screens will be dimmed.
- there are other software items that I think are nice but are not as efficient as they can be. Plus some settings can be added for the user to choose.
- it would be nice if you could configure all your settings at home from your PC and download them from your vehicle (similar to eDestination)

When the new RX comes out they will hear more complaints if the software is not updated.
Old 05-21-15, 09:29 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wildeklave
I think the software is in a great need of an update. It is nice but many of the settings seem clunky:
- you cannot automatically go to your home screen when you turn your vehicle on. It goes to Navigation or one of the other screens.
- I have not tested this but I believe at night you have to manually select the "day" setting or your screens will be dimmed.
- there are other software items that I think are nice but are not as efficient as they can be. Plus some settings can be added for the user to choose.
- it would be nice if you could configure all your settings at home from your PC and download them from your vehicle (similar to eDestination)

When the new RX comes out they will hear more complaints if the software is not updated.
the software not only needs an update but a complete overhaul. the U.I. looks like it was designed by a two year old.

I'm surprised they just haven't outsourced the interface to a third party who speciality is to make it more user-friendly.
Old 05-23-15, 03:36 AM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leej865
A coin cubby does not an SUV make...but, there's your problem...it's not an SUV at all...it's a CUV.
I agree there's not enough cubbies. I kept my old coin tray from a former Ford Edge which fits nicely in the console. Speaking of the new Edge, there are cubbies everywhere. Pullout coin tray left of steering wheel, hidden storage behind radio, popup storage on dash, umbrella holder tray on the side floor of each seat, another storage in front of shifter, etc. I wish the NX had just one of those extra cubbies or somewhere to put a small umbrella. They even closed off access below the rear seats.
Old 05-23-15, 10:53 AM
leej865
Driver

Originally Posted by Bdwg22
I agree there's not enough cubbies. I kept my old coin tray from a former Ford Edge which fits nicely in the console. Speaking of the new Edge, there are cubbies everywhere. Pullout coin tray left of steering wheel, hidden storage behind radio, popup storage on dash, umbrella holder tray on the side floor of each seat, another storage in front of shifter, etc. I wish the NX had just one of those extra cubbies or somewhere to put a small umbrella. They even closed off access below the rear seats.
I keep a small umbrella in the back of the passenger front seat. I can easily grab it if needed.
Old 05-24-15, 12:31 AM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Nice list.

I also agree on most points.

Things I would add...

1.) Power folding rear seat.
If the motor or the switches breakdown, the seats are stuck and you will have to take it to the dealer to get fixed. If they gave the old school manual release option it would have been nice... and probably quicker to fold down the rear seats.
This did not happen to us, but I enquired before our purchase, and were given this answer.
It seemed silly to have power folding seats on such a "small" vehicle.

2.) Glare from the sunlight reflecting off the "wood trim" on the dashboard.
Not a huge issue, but just noticed this today.

These are only minor things for us.
Overall our experiences have been very positive and we are enjoying the vehicle, and all that it has to offer.

***One other thing to note***

We had a larger panel gap in our hood, than pretty much every other NX we've laid eyes on, as well as those within the dealer showroom.
We had this "fixed" during our 1600km inspection and check-up.
I only mention this because our "bonnet cover" looked like it was sitting on top of the front end, as opposed to being apart of the vehicle.

You know....
Black body colour may show all the dirt and dust on vehicles... but you sure notice other odd things with Eminent White

Last edited by Kelmin; 05-24-15 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-24-15, 05:33 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Kelmin, nice to see you're enjoying your NX. One thing that caught my eye was when you wrote "wood trim" in quotes. I interpret that as you believing the wood is fake. Just in case of any confusion, it's not fake. It's very real gorgeous "Linear Black Shadow" wood trim that heavily resembles the LS' premium Shimamoku wood trim. Never has Lexus ever used fake wood unlike Acura and Infiniti.

Old 05-24-15, 08:32 PM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Kelmin, nice to see you're enjoying your NX. One thing that caught my eye was when you wrote "wood trim" in quotes. I interpret that as you believing the wood is fake. Just in case of any confusion, it's not fake. It's very real gorgeous "Linear Black Shadow" wood trim that heavily resembles the LS' premium Shimamoku wood trim. Never has Lexus ever used fake wood unlike Acura and Infiniti.

Oh my apologies hehe.

I used quotes there about the wood used in vehicles, because I think its amusing that such thin strips of wood touches (features) in our vehicles are considered so prestigious.
Certain materials for homes I can understand but something so small in a car is just amusing to me.

Maybe next time I'll use italics to emphasize the feature, as it does sound like I was being sarcastic.

I do agree, the Shimamoku wood in the LS does look very nice, and the NX's panels don't disappoint in conveying the premium feel.

Just too bad the glare can become quite sharp at times, given the right angle the light reflects off of it, depending on the time of day.
Then again I guess any vehicle can have that happen.

Last edited by Kelmin; 05-24-15 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-24-15, 11:17 PM
mlo1956
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rVague
I've owned my NX 200t now for 2 months and am generally pleased with the car but have several niggles and issues.

-Turbo lag. Turbo doesn't come into effect until around 2,000 rpm. The car feels a bit sluggish until the turbo kicks in. During highway driving the power is pretty amazing, particularly when passing, but around town it seems pretty slow. I also own a 2014 MINI Cooper with the 1.5 liter 3 cylinder with a dual scroll turbo and it has an amazing amount of torque at low rpm. it seems to me that Lexus could have designed the turbo software to produce a bit more grunt at low rpm.

-In Sport mode the throttle/transmission seems to be jerky at times trying to decide what throttle position or gear it should be in.

-The central console is a bit of a mess. The iPad like display is a styling disaster. The controls for the A/C are angled such that when the sun shines down the lights in the buttons are impossible to see. I think the whole center console could be moved down with a cowl over the display rather than sticking up like an after thought. Thankfully they put an A/C button on the dash rather than having to fish through a bunch of menus like on my RX 350.

- The controls for the memory seats are in an absurd location and could have been very easily moved up near the door latch.

-The mirrors are made of very cheap feeling plastic. I would have liked to have folding mirrors like on my previous 2013 RX 350.

-The touchpad! I hate it. I want the control **** brought back that I had on my RX 350. Much too sensitive and difficult to use.

-The odometer buttons look like they were lifted straight off a low level Corolla and feel cheap.

-Panel gap on the sides of the hood and hatch are exceptionally wide and I think Lexus could have done a better job with that.

-The headrests push my head a little too forward and I wish they were adjustable.

-Not convinced I like the automatic ebrake release.

- I would have liked to see a display that shows what gear you are currently in like my Lexus IS 250. This would be very helpful.

Overall the quality is very good and I am generally very pleased with the car. I'm hoping that Lexus comes up with a software update that would give a little more power/torque at lower rpm. Putting the transmission in Sport mode solves some of this problem.
Hi from Australia.

I, like most others absolutely love this car, however I must also agree with most comments regarding lack of storage, seat memory buttons location, head rests, etc.
I must also state that there seems to be some differences in what is available in Australia as I bought the top of the line version, locally called Sports Luxury and it seems to offer a few things not available in other countries, for instance, the mirrors fold in as we lock the car in all versions, the A/C as it is for most brands, upgraded to suit Australian conditions, and it is very cold if you so wish, must have something to do with our very hot weather, the Shimamoku inserts are standard in the 200T as are multiple colour interior versions, the Sat Nav is very good, however as it is constantly communicating with the satellites, seems to prefer for you to be stationary when entering a new address and I don't seem to be able to reduce the number of warnings it provides as you drive, for instance, warns me twice about school zones, regardless of the time of day or day of the week, I really don't need to know where the schools are during the night, weekends or school holidays!!!
The touchpad takes a while to get used to it but its sensitivity can be reduced and it's OK rather than perfect.
Odometer button looks cheap and it is in a terrible location, the cup holders are very small, only small bottles or cups can be placed in them, in our family we have a BMW 328, Audi Q5, Hyundai Tucson and 2 Kia's and all take larger items, also agree that no one knows what that small mirror is for nor what you can put in such as small space , regarding the turbo lack, that's normal of all turbo's even in our 328, it been a biturbo, there's still some lack, but lets face it, we didn't buy a race car!!!
At least in Australia, they all come with what they call a wireless charger for the phone and it is immediately below the armrest and fits most modern smart phones, all we had to do is to buy a $7 adapter and off we go.
The sound system is brilliant in my version, it comes standard with a Mark Levinson system, it has 14 speakers including a subwoofer that it is not in the tailgate, but couldn't tell you where it is.
A/C controls other than fan speed are hidden in the info system but they are rarely used, they couldn't have added any more buttons to the steering wheel, certainly not in my model, we have 2 phone buttons, voice activation for all functions, lane departure, volume, sound mode option 4 ways plus a centre "enter" button on 1 side and on the other 4 ways plus a centre "enter" button for all the operations , you can view where your next turn is, average fuel, range, weather, radio or sound info, driving mode, etc.
A friend of mine drives a new RX 350 and it doesn't have as much on offer as the NX does, we must also keep in mind that we bought a totally new vehicle and I'm sure Lexus, with our help will refine those minor issues in future releases.
Old 05-25-15, 04:07 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eco mode throttles the AC back to lessen the load on the engine, I set ours to always default to Normal mode, as we find Eco mode anaemic to say the least. That option is on one of the menus on the navy screen or the center dash display. It will still flash that little eco light on the dash.

At 7weeks in, most of comments here apply, except the f-sport seats., they are perfect for us. I do have a small beef with how Lexus packages the options, such as leaving ventilated seats out of the F-Sport package, kind of dumb when you consider that they had to install the heated seat switch anyway. I wonder if is all ready and all it needs is the switch.

Last edited by My0gr81; 05-25-15 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-26-15, 01:30 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Eco mode throttles the AC back to lessen the load on the engine, I set ours to always default to Normal mode, as we find Eco mode anaemic to say the least. That option is on one of the menus on the navy screen or the center dash display. It will still flash that little eco light on the dash.

At 7weeks in, most of comments here apply, except the f-sport seats., they are perfect for us. I do have a small beef with how Lexus packages the options, such as leaving ventilated seats out of the F-Sport package, kind of dumb when you consider that they had to install the heated seat switch anyway. I wonder if is all ready and all it needs is the switch.
I'm glad I read your comment cause I thought the A/C was just weak. Most of the time when I drive around, I drive around in eco mode and it now makes sense why the A/C is so weak. I'm going to drive in normal mode and see if the A/C is much stronger.