NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus enform apps

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-15, 06:37 PM
Camper01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus enform apps

I have just updated the enform apps in the car to latest version today. It contains all sort of good stuff, like bing (search engine), yelp, etc. my goal is not to have to hold up my cell phone to search for 'Starbucks' address when I get to a new town; as you know, the navigation does take command like 'find Starbucks' or 'find Hilton'.

I got really excited after the download, but then I realized something: in order to use bing or yelp while driving, I need to move the cursor to each alphabet, to type words, which is kind of distracting for a driver. To me, that's counterproductive and Lexus should have thought of this; so I am pretty sure there's gotta be better ways out there that I was hoping any of you could shed some lights into this:

1. Are you using the apps suite?
2. What apps do you find most useful?
3. What do you use it for?
Thank you.
Old 05-11-15, 05:08 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I mostly use the App Suite for Pandora and Slacker. These apps I can preconfigure "stations" for, which can then be controlled from the steering wheel buttons.
Old 05-11-15, 07:32 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does using the Pandora type apps eat up a lot of data on your phone? I think the Lexus Enform app has to be running where the Enform app uses your phone's data plan.
Old 05-11-15, 07:47 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
does using the Pandora type apps eat up a lot of data on your phone? I think the Lexus Enform app has to be running where the Enform app uses your phone's data plan.
Apps like Pandora do indeed use your phone's data plan. But remember that it's audio, not video, which is reasonably low-bandwidth. I'm on a [two-party] shared 10GB plan (AT&T) and it hasn't been a significant issue. But I also listen to CDs, a USB drive full of music, and SiriusXM, depending on my mood, so I might not be the best to ask this particular question.
Old 05-11-15, 04:40 PM
Camper01
Driver School Candidate

Tried another great feature today. I think I've answered my own question
While in Bing, I press the talk button at steering wheel, and I said find Starbucks. Bing brought up all nearby Starbucks. I selected one of them, and click map, it brought me to nav screen. After confirming which Starbucks I want, it guided me there.
So with the bing feature, I can pretty much search a specific brand names, such as: "Costco in Main Street".
Old 05-11-15, 05:12 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Originally Posted by Camper01
Tried another great feature today. I think I've answered my own question
While in Bing, I press the talk button at steering wheel, and I said find Starbucks. Bing brought up all nearby Starbucks. I selected one of them, and click map, it brought me to nav screen. After confirming which Starbucks I want, it guided me there.
So with the bing feature, I can pretty much search a specific brand names, such as: "Costco in Main Street".
That's good to know.

I just started playing with the apps today. It's a nifty feature but it just seems like it's easier to use my phone. Although I did enjoy the Yelp app, it's nice to see what is around you, especially in a new place.
Old 05-28-15, 06:56 PM
susar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camper01
I have just updated the enform apps in the car to latest version today. It contains all sort of good stuff, like bing (search engine), yelp, etc. my goal is not to have to hold up my cell phone to search for 'Starbucks' address when I get to a new town; as you know, the navigation does take command like 'find Starbucks' or 'find Hilton'.

I got really excited after the download, but then I realized something: in order to use bing or yelp while driving, I need to move the cursor to each alphabet, to type words, which is kind of distracting for a driver. To me, that's counterproductive and Lexus should have thought of this; so I am pretty sure there's gotta be better ways out there that I was hoping any of you could shed some lights into this:

1. Are you using the apps suite?
2. What apps do you find most useful?
3. What do you use it for?
Thank you.
You cannot type anything while driving anyways. Voice commands for destinations works so much better than my 2012 model! I have a problem with my iphone 6+ using Pandora and bluetooth music. Also have a problem with the Stock app not being alphabetical or letting me put in GPRO as 3 choices come up and it doesn't like them!