NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Humming sounds from underneath the NX

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 10:58 PM
bostonb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Humming sounds from underneath the NX

So I got home today from work and let my NX idle in my garage for a few minutes before shutting it off (trying to let the turbo cool off). After I shut the engine, I noticed that the lights/headbeams were on unusually longer than all of the other days that I've had it (have had this NX for 9 days now). The lights/headbeams eventually turned off and I didn't think much of it.

About 6 hours later, my wife comes home from work and tells me that there is a strange humming sound coming from the NX in the garage. I went to check it out and sure enough, she was right. It wasn't super loud, but also wasn't a faint sound either. I tried to figure out where it was coming from. I popped open the hood and put my ear into it and it doesn't sound like the sound was coming from there. I tried to walk around the NX to see where it was coming from... it sounds like it was coming from underneath the rear seats towards where the gas tank is located.

I should've taken a camera and recorded the humming sound first, but I decided to try to turn the car on and let it run for like 30 seconds, then turned it off again to see if the problem would go away. Thankfully, it did, but it still has me concerned as to what that humming sound was.

I did a search and saw that someone else posted about a humming sound for their ES 350:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...f-the-car.html

Anyone else encounter this with their NX yet or seen this with any of their other Lexus models?
Old 01-15-15, 11:06 PM
bostonb
Rookie

Ok, maybe false alarm. I did some more research and found this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...is-normal.html

Seems like this might be the root cause, per manual of another Lexus model. I'll have to check the NX manual tomorrow to see if it states something similar:

"Noise from under vehicle after turning of the engine
Approximately 5 hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction."
Old 01-16-15, 04:02 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I was going to say. yes, your car will make a sound following engine cutoff in order to monitor fuel pressure v. time and slowly close the purge valve on the fuel system.

You're ok. now if you hear a ticking, it might be a time bomb...in which case you should run lol
Old 01-16-15, 08:15 AM
bostonb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer
Yeah, I was going to say. yes, your car will make a sound following engine cutoff in order to monitor fuel pressure v. time and slowly close the purge valve on the fuel system.

You're ok. now if you hear a ticking, it might be a time bomb...in which case you should run lol
lol. But yeah, I've never heard of cars making humming sounds 6 hours after the engine has been off. That's why I was a bit concerned.

And I verified that on page 8 of the NX Owner's Manual that the noise statement is legit!
Old 01-16-15, 11:31 AM
alvaroe16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bostonb

I don't mean to highjack your thread, but seeing you are from Boston and got an NX, I was hoping you could point me to what dealer you used to make the purchase. If you don't mind, how much did you pay? I am highly interested on getting one, but the lease numbers I was given are almost as high (if not higher) than the RX.

Anyhow... just looking for what others paid...

Thanks!

Al
Old 01-16-15, 12:25 PM
bostonb
Rookie

Originally Posted by alvaroe16
Bostonb

I don't mean to highjack your thread, but seeing you are from Boston and got an NX, I was hoping you could point me to what dealer you used to make the purchase. If you don't mind, how much did you pay? I am highly interested on getting one, but the lease numbers I was given are almost as high (if not higher) than the RX.

Anyhow... just looking for what others paid...

Thanks!

Al
Sure, Al. I knew the NX wouldn't be available in MA until early Dec so after Thanksgiving, I called a couple Lexus dealerships around Boston (Watertown, Danvers, and even the one in Manchester, NH). I scheduled a test drive with the one in Watertown but on the day I was supposed to come in, they had already sold a few NX and didn't have any for me to test drive. Of course, the only NX they had were the base models. None of the dealerships listed had an F Sport and wouldn't have one until January. I ended up going to Ira Lexus in Danvers and dealt with some great people there. Put in my order for the F Sport which was already pre-configured:

NX 200t F Sport AWD
Exterior: <your color of choice>
Interior: Black

optional equipment:
Auto-dimming outer mirrors w/ BSM, RCTA, reverse tilt, heated, memory
Heated Steering Wheel
LED Headlamps w/o Auto High Beams
Lexus Homelink Garage Door Opener
Navigation Package (w/ Lexus Enform Remote app on phone)
Premium F Sport Package (moonroof, heated seats, lumbar support, etc)
All weather floor mats
18" wheels w/ All-season tires

Looking back, the only feature that I wanted that wasn't included was the power backdoor. Didn't realize that was missing until afterwards, but it's ok. I still like my NX. Vehicle came to be about $45.5k (before taxes).

Hope that helps. And some people have posted their window stickers here in this thread below -- prices seem very consistent.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...post-here.html