NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 09:47 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just in case anyone is interested. Here are the specs for the CURT 12108 (successfully installed on a 300H in thread above) and the CURT 13149 Trailer Hitches.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
12108-WA.pdf (187.1 KB, 548 views)
File Type: pdf
13149-WA.pdf (146.2 KB, 460 views)

Last edited by cb80923; 02-07-15 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-07-15, 04:40 PM
terrybill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch Installed - with pics

Thanks to jalford I took a flyer and ordered up the Curt 13149 for our 300h. As he said, the install is ridiculously quick and easy. Also thanks to Toyota / Lexus for putting those threaded holes in same place on both the NX and the RAV4. I ran ours up on ramps but that was more for the pictures. It could be done from the ground

Two Notes:
1) The exhaust system on non-hybrids is significantly different and could affect mounting.
2) I could argue that the 12108 is the correct hitch for the NX with the NX having a max towing capacity of 2000#. The 12108 with a 1 1/4" receiver will be lighter and offer a smaller cross section to the wind. We only have the 13149 because we already have accessories for a 2" receiver and adding an adapter just introduces more slop. And now I'm thinking it's going to spend most of its time off of the NX and in the garage anyway. When we need it we need it but it's so easy to take on and off that we'll just leave it off for the 99% of the time we don't need it.

Requires a 17mm (old bolts) & 19mm socket (new bolts)
Remove the tow bracket on the left
Remove the rear bolt for the exhaust bracket on the right and loosen the front bolt just enough to allow the rear of the bracket to hang down to give you room to slide in the hitch
Position the hitch and start the supplied bolts. A second person can be useful rassling the hitch into position but you can do it alone if you have to.
Follow Curt's instructions for torquing the bolts and you're done
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-hitch01.jpg   Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-hitch02.jpg   Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-hitch03.jpg   Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-hitch04.jpg   Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-hitch05.jpg  

Last edited by terrybill; 02-08-15 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-07-15, 04:50 PM
terrybill
Driver School Candidate

Default More Pics of finished product

This is for those who are considering a hitch. If you don't want one and would never have one there are whole bunch of posts about other topics. Our 300h will be an anemic hauler but when we want to slap on a bike rack or tow our HF folding trailer so we can bring a home a couple of pieces of plywood it will get the job done. Don't expect to see any pictures of our 40' yacht being towed to the lake behind our NX. Of course that's partly because we can barely afford the NX, let alone a 40' yacht - or even a jet-ski for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-hitch06.jpg   Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-hitch07.jpg   Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-hitch08.jpg   Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-hitch09.jpg   Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-hitch10.jpg  

Old 02-12-15, 11:53 AM
lomelir
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Waiting for the correct hitch

I just finished talking with customer support from hitchweb; they will contact the manufacturer and let me know when the exact hitch will be available for purchase for my NX200t FWD.
The hitches you guys recommend here are not for my vehicle since have only been tested on the hybrid models.
Old 02-13-15, 10:56 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the new hitch covers the access point for rear floor jack area. Do I see it that correctly?
thanks
Old 02-16-15, 02:27 PM
jimp
Driver School Candidate

dealer installed hitch for $760.00 iAM SURE they are cussing me out still. sewell shows the hitch for 550 and cable is 255 . it took them 1 day and a loaner, they said cable is not plug and play like on the rx?? the bottom of the receiver is 12" off the ground and tucked behind the bumper very unobtrusive.

.Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-013.jpg
Old 02-16-15, 06:13 PM
terrybill
Driver School Candidate

Very nice install and well worth what you paid. If you want some entertaining reading go through the hitch install instructions on Sewell's site. That hitch is now an integral part of your car, not some four bolt portable like we have. That is one serious hitch.

As far as the wiring goes I had a Curt 56166 kit (not spec'd for the NX, just a long shot) on standby this weekend and started tearing apart the back end looking for some place to plug it in. I can't tell you if there a chance in a hot place it would work because I couldn't get anywhere near anything that looked like taillight wiring. I had a taillight off (look in your manual for that procedure and they're not kidding about masking it off) and I can tell you the color code of the wires but things quickly disappear into the rear pillar. I finally admitted defeat and buttoned things back up, running out of time and being satisfied that I at least didn't bust any tabs or clips. We won't be needing lights that soon and given time, solutions will come along.

Congrats on a nice install
Old 02-17-15, 06:15 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yikes....$800 for an install?

I"m sure this could have been installed in a garage with a couple hours of spare time.
Old 02-17-15, 06:54 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Swacer
Yikes....$800 for an install?

I"m sure this could have been installed in a garage with a couple hours of spare time.
OK, so still $800 from Sewell for the parts needed and then 2+ hours of his time, I think he did ok for the less than $800 he paid. I know what my time is worth to me, so I am willing to have some things done like that. Plus, reading other posts, it seems that the wiring is a major pain and that could be the big hangup for most people.
Old 02-17-15, 11:53 AM
jimp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by terrybill
Very nice install and well worth what you paid. If you want some entertaining reading go through the hitch install instructions on Sewell's site. That hitch is now an integral part of your car, not some four bolt portable like we have. That is one serious hitch.

As far as the wiring goes I had a Curt 56166 kit (not spec'd for the NX, just a long shot) on standby this weekend and started tearing apart the back end looking for some place to plug it in. I can't tell you if there a chance in a hot place it would work because I couldn't get anywhere near anything that looked like taillight wiring. I had a taillight off (look in your manual for that procedure and they're not kidding about masking it off) and I can tell you the color code of the wires but things quickly disappear into the rear pillar. I finally admitted defeat and buttoned things back up, running out of time and being satisfied that I at least didn't bust any tabs or clips. We won't be needing lights that soon and given time, solutions will come along.

Congrats on a nice install
thanks, I did read the instructions and emailed sewell about the cable. I realized that replacing the rear bumper was way above my skill level. after watching the lexus tech struggling with the body panels (for hours!) I decided I had made the right decision. Hooking up the cable took several more hours. Besides,its only money.
Old 02-17-15, 12:04 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimp
thanks, I did read the instructions and emailed sewell about the cable. I realized that replacing the rear bumper was way above my skill level. after watching the lexus tech struggling with the body panels (for hours!) I decided I had made the right decision. Hooking up the cable took several more hours. Besides,its only money.
What took them hours? Its about 16 bolts and then it slides right off.

This is very similar to how my camaro front end comes off, and I can have that off in about 15 mins.

Then you're simply dropping the exhaust.

Honestly, this appears to be a 2hr job, maybe 3 if you open a couple beers for a "job well done".

Only thing that requires any effort looks to be where the clip plastic has to be cut, but a simple dremel will work for that.

come on guys...this is a "invite your buddy over, offer him some beer, and get the job done."
Old 04-01-15, 07:40 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

OK, so I took the route of Terrybill and others and bought the Curt 13149 for my NX 300h, and it went on quickly and easily. I found a great deal on the Curt 13149 from Amazon, here is the link I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-13149-Black-Class-Trailer/dp/B00C4B1F7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427898862&sr=8-1&keywords=curt+13149 http://www.amazon.com/Curt-13149-Black-Class-Trailer/dp/B00C4B1F7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427898862&sr=8-1&keywords=curt+13149

It arrived yesterday and I put it on the wife's NX last night. In all it took me about 10-20 minutes from start to finish. The hardest part was holding up the heavy hitch by myself to try and line it up and get the new bolts in it.

I don't have any pics, but for the price I paid, about $140, from that link it is just fine by me. Does it go up and hide behind the plastic like the Lexus version, no it doesn't. But I also didn't pay almost $600 for it either and to me saving that kind of money was well worth the cost of what it might look like.

As Terrybill stated it goes on so easy I can take it right back off if I want too or if the wife hates the look that much. I currently don't have a great place to store it so it is going to stay on, but that might change when I clean out the garage in a few weeks.

For what we want to do with it, which is to hook up a bike carrier, it is $140 well spent. I am getting a bike carrier from my brother-in-law that he no longer uses and is the 2" receiver model, that is why I went with the 13149 as well.

Thanks to the others who did the leg work on this before I took the plunge, made me feel a lot better about doing it. And thanks to Terrybill for posting his instructions and pictures.

Phil
Old 04-19-15, 07:44 AM
jrovito
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried Curt Hitch 12108 on a NX 200t yet?

Thats what I have and would like to confirm it fits before ordering.
Old 11-04-16, 03:43 PM
Kirenworb
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrovito
Has anyone tried Curt Hitch 12108 on a NX 200t yet?

Thats what I have and would like to confirm it fits before ordering.
I know this post was a long time ago but just in case you were still interested. I just put a Curt 13214 on mine today. The 13214 I used is the Class III specifically for the NX.

According to the Curt website the 12108 is for a RAV4 and it is the Class II version. The correct Class II model for the NX is a 12143.

Gone:
2007 ES 350
2011 ES 350
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-img_8914.jpg   Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-img_8917.jpg   Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300-img_8912.jpg  
Old 11-06-16, 11:42 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I recommend the Draw-Tite receiver hitch for an NX.

I installed it myself ...

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch receiver for the NX300