NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

My first weeks with the NX

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 05:28 AM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default My first weeks with the NX

Two weeks ago I received my new NX300h, and I've waited until now to have some more experience with it in order to give you some feedback.

Starting from the conclusion, the car is superb, but the engine is not made for speedy or nervous people.

Moving around the city or suburbs is quiet, smooth, luxurious, and everything you already expect from other reviews. I will give it a 10 without doubt. I only had to learn to drive the hybrid (my first hybrid, btw) when wanting to do some fast start from the traffic lights. It's only a matter of using the sports option and selecting the first gear. It's enough for daily driving, not for racing.

Rolling on the highway is as well quiet and smooth. I love switching on the cruise control with the crash control system, and let the car take me. But when it comes to overpass when speeding at 130kph... or when there are uphills that need some more power because you don't want to lose speed.... then I stop liking the car and regret having bought it. I was very happy doing this kind of driving with my 170hp CDI.

But after two weeks and two thousand kilometers, i nearly got used to it and the feeling is not so bad. I know where the limits of the car are and that i need a calmer driving than before.Good news for me: my wife's car has a funnier driving, so I'll use it from time to time...

Regarding consumption. I don't have big statistics given the kind of use i've had but:
- Pure city with a bit of suburbs: 8l/100km (a full week with this use is a good sample)
- Pure highway with many uphills at 140kph: 9l/100km (it was a trip of 1000 kilometers, so good sample too) I stress the uphills because I always use the cruise control that has a special result in these situations.
- Pure highway, nearly flat, at 130kph: 7,5l/100km

I'm still trying to convince myself that these are good-enough figures. I believe they are the figures you would get in an X3, Q5 diesel (which I didn't want to own), and clearly less that a similar petrol one. Am I right? The fact is that it seems I will get a 8,5l/100km given the use I have... which is 0,5l more I got with my 170hp diesel. Let's see...

Accepting questions from curious, so please feel free...
Old 12-01-14, 05:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for your review. Sounds like you represent what the professional reviews have said which is a good thing. Indeed, the engine is a little underpowered for high speed passing or under heavy load, but for the N. American market, speed limits are typically between 90-105 km/hr (55-65 mph) so highway power will be less of an issue here.

Your experience with the fuel economy is a about 1L/100km more than what would be expected however, you are driving it under higher load. The real advantage of a Toyota/Lexus hybrid is in city driving. Once you master the "pulse and glide" technique and find the optimal city speeds using battery power alone, you can beat your 8L/100km city driving.

Post some pictures, always welcome!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-01-14 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-05-14, 06:56 AM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks for your review. Sounds like you represent what the professional reviews have said which is a good thing. Indeed, the engine is a little underpowered for high speed passing or under heavy load, but for the N. American market, speed limits are typically between 90-105 km/hr (55-65 mph) so highway power will be less of an issue here.

Your experience with the fuel economy is a about 1L/100km more than what would be expected however, you are driving it under higher load. The real advantage of a Toyota/Lexus hybrid is in city driving. Once you master the "pulse and glide" technique and find the optimal city speeds using battery power alone, you can beat your 8L/100km city driving.

Post some pictures, always welcome!
I've just uploaded some photos to the photos thread. Not very good, but I guess they are enough.

Regarding consumption... I have to say that after 20 years driving, now I'm learning again how to do it... this "pulse and glide" technique is something new to me, and no one ever told me about it before.

Now, I think I'm getting used to it, and it seems that I'm being able to lower the consumption while keeping the fun at driving. In the next tank fill-up I will check.

Cheers!
Old 12-05-14, 01:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsmith
I've just uploaded some photos to the photos thread. Not very good, but I guess they are enough.

Regarding consumption... I have to say that after 20 years driving, now I'm learning again how to do it... this "pulse and glide" technique is something new to me, and no one ever told me about it before.

Now, I think I'm getting used to it, and it seems that I'm being able to lower the consumption while keeping the fun at driving. In the next tank fill-up I will check.

Cheers!
what car did you have before?
Old 12-06-14, 05:01 AM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
what car did you have before?
My previous car was a Mercedes C220 cdi (170hp), and also have a Golf VII 1.4TSI (140hp). There are so different... The NX is my first SUV and my first hybrid. Really learning again how to drive
Old 12-06-14, 05:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsmith
My previous car was a Mercedes C220 cdi (170hp), and also have a Golf VII 1.4TSI (140hp). There are so different... The NX is my first SUV and my first hybrid. Really learning again how to drive
oh yeah, very different cars... suvs usually spend more fuel due to worse aero... and are slower. Rav4 would spend easily 1.5l more fuel than Avensis with same engine, and also be a lot slower feeling. But there are many other advantages to suvs though.

as to hybrid, it becomes natural... main thing is to get engine off as much as possible, its fun with all the screens telling you how good you are at it.