NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 04:01 PM
SeaTac1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Worth It?

We've been looking at the Lexus Nx for some time. DW drives a Genesis growing out of it's warranty period. There are many an SUV in the $30k range OTD price around $35k. The Lexus is about $42 with all the fees/taxes. Just wondering what justifies that price. It's hard to find a vehicle which is not using the flawed dual clutch design and does use Apple Car Play.

We are in the hunt. Your valued thoughts appreciated.
Old 12-20-16, 06:00 PM
SeaTac1
Rookie

No thoughts>?? hmmm...
Old 12-20-16, 06:07 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

A Lexus would be a substantial upgrade from your Hyundai Genesis.
Old 12-20-16, 06:11 PM
SeaTac1
Rookie

Originally Posted by SeaTac1
No thoughts>?? hmmm...
Hard to see that. The Gen has all the features we loved about it but the new Hyundais have the dual clutch tranny which has proven to be a problem. My wife drove the Nx and you are right she immediately loved it. But the cost? $45k with whistles and bells and only a 5/60 warranty.
Old 12-20-16, 06:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

SeaTac1 welcome to the forum. Buying a luxury car today is more about build and quality of materials than tech since mainstream vehicles nowadays have virtually the same tech as luxury brands. What differentiates Lexus among the luxury crowd is unique styling and reliability. Regarding the latter, I would not be concerned with the 5/60 warranty.

See this thread for real-world owner discoveries on the NX which may help you in your decision: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...od-or-bad.html

Good luck.
Old 12-20-16, 07:37 PM
SeaTac1
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
SeaTac1 welcome to the forum. Buying a luxury car today is more about build and quality of materials than tech since mainstream vehicles nowadays have virtually the same tech as luxury brands. What differentiates Lexus among the luxury crowd is unique styling and reliability. Regarding the latter, I would not be concerned with the 5/60 warranty.

See this thread for real-world owner discoveries on the NX which may help you in your decision: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...od-or-bad.html

Good luck.

Thanks for that response. I am also keenly interested in the AWD system Lexus uses. Since you live North of the border and East of the Yukon I thought that you might be helpful...again.

Thank you.
Old 12-20-16, 07:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks for that response. I am also keenly interested in the AWD system Lexus uses. Since you live North of the border and East of the Yukon I thought that you might be helpful...again.

Thank you.
NX is great on snow. Never got stuck and that's with the Michelin all-seasons. The AWD has a diff lock feature to engage all 4 wheels under 25 mph. Great to get you out of a dump of snow when parked. While driving, VSC also works really well safely controlling the car in your intended steering direction over slippery conditions.
Old 12-20-16, 09:55 PM
Rozay604
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Thank you.
I live in British Columbia Canada and we jus had a massive snow storm all week and the nx was awesome in the snow with 22 inch rims all seasons. Then I decided to go back stock with snow tires and it's even better.
Old 12-21-16, 12:31 AM
lemonhedo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand what you feel. I too went and looked at the hyundai genesis and other "non-luxury" brand. The technology and add-ons are mostly similiar now. I can't tell you that theres anything that justifies the extra cost except the reliability and design. I think NX is the most sexy suv on the road lately, and the lexus reliability (yet to be seen on NX though) just gives you a little better peace of mind. In the end you'll have to decide if you care about those or not. Otherwise, a car is a car, and they move you place to place.
Old 12-21-16, 02:11 AM
Rozay604
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Exactly what pinhead said. I originally bought the NX for the wife but she didn't like it after and prefer the GS, so I had to mod the hell out of it to my likings. As for problems, never had to take it to the dealership for nothing. Very reliable car
Old 12-21-16, 03:14 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Is it worth the extra money?

Pro's:
•Comfortable supple leather seats especially in fsport trim are some of the best in the business
•Sweet engine in turbo form
•Loaded with tech that works
•Along with the Macan and Merc GLC coupe, one of the best looking and unique small SUVs. In my opinion anyway.
•Maintenance costs much lower than most manufacturers
•Maintenance department that busts a kidney to keep you happy and on the road
•Highest satisfaction ratings of any brand

Con's
•Vehicle built down to a price and obvious cost cutting; this includes cheap exterior plastic trim, road noise, noisy window motors
•Woeful 1980's graphics for the clunky entertainment system.
•Lexus vehicles aren't really that much more reliable than a Toyota or Honda or even Audi anymore, it's only that your guaranteed a nice fueled up loaner if something goes wrong so who cares.
•Rubbish fuel economy in turbo form.
•Not keeping up with German's interiors cf Merc GLC and new Q5
•Presence of South Koreans. Smart people are buying the greatly improved Hyundais and pocketing the snob money for other purchases.

I often find that my appreciation with Lexus grows with ownership over the years and the overall package of the ownership experience keeps me coming back.
Old 12-21-16, 04:55 AM
SeaTac1
Rookie

Your replies and insights are appreciated.
Old 12-21-16, 06:00 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Talk about a "snob" purchase.... I'm coming from a BMW X5 35d that msrp'd @ $70k. After 18 months of ownership, I couldn't justify putting more miles on a car that depreciated so rapidly. Additionally, my service experience with BMW was a joke. Lexus service, as others have said, is amazing. I drop of my car and I'm in a Lexus loaner, unlike BMW where I would get a Chevy Malibu from Enterprise, & that's if BMW hadn't reached their max loaners for the day.

I've got a 2017 NX and it's quieter than the X5 I had and equally as quiet as my 2 previous GX460's. The ride is also more supple than the X5. My disappointment with the NX is the ridiculously terrible audio system & navy system. Other than that so far so good.
Old 12-21-16, 06:09 AM
SeaTac1
Rookie

Originally Posted by jugdish
I've got a 2017 NX and it's quieter than the X5 I had and equally as quiet as my 2 previous GX460's. The ride is also more supple than the X5. My disappointment with the NX is the ridiculously terrible audio system & navy system. Other than that so far so good.
I was thinking of the audio system and the nav which does not allow apple car play. the salesman easily set up the navigation. it appears worthy....coming from a Lexicon in the Hyundai it's hard to compromise on sound.
Old 12-21-16, 08:03 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I've taken all of the speakers out of the NX & replaced with JL audio. I've also added a JL audio sub/amp as well & the difference is substantial. It just pisses me off that Lexus doesn't offer the Mark Levinson in North America.

Quick Reply: Worth It?