NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX wiper insert install

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 02:12 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NX wiper insert install

I picked up 2 front windshield wiper inserts today from Lexus for my 2015 300h.
Can anyone give me any tips on installing them or let me know if there's a tutorial around
on the forum.

Thank you,
Carl
Old 12-06-16, 05:03 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

if its the same as the '17.... pretty straight forward. Press the top button as you pull the wiper towards you out of the cradle. Pretty disappointed that Lexus decided to switch to a proprietary attachment.
Old 12-06-16, 06:59 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
I picked up 2 front windshield wiper inserts today from Lexus for my 2015 300h.
Can anyone give me any tips on installing them or let me know if there's a tutorial around
on the forum.

Thank you,
Carl
You bought the entire wiper replacement, or just the rubber blade inserts?

If it's just the rubber blade, you have to take off the arm first by pressing the square release button right in the middle and pull the arm away from the swingarm. Put the swingarm back down onto the windshield CAREFULLY. NEVER EVER leave an empty swingarm in the up position. If it accidently gets bumped, it could swing down and crack your windshield.

Next, "compress" the old rubber blade inwards from the end a little so you can pull the end of it out from the blade holders. Reverse to reinstall the new blades.
The following 2 users liked this post by legrunt:
4482 (12-06-16), philwojo (12-07-16)
Old 12-06-16, 07:00 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jugdish
if its the same as the '17.... pretty straight forward. Press the top button as you pull the wiper towards you out of the cradle. Pretty disappointed that Lexus decided to switch to a proprietary attachment.
I think you misunderstood my question.
I'm trying to figure out how to remove just the rubber from the blade to insert the new rubber insert I purchased.
I found removing the blade from the arm the easy part in just pushing the button. Lexus wanted twice the cost if I purchased a new complete blade.
Old 12-06-16, 07:07 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by legrunt
You bought the entire wiper replacement, or just the rubber blade inserts?

Next, "compress" the old rubber blade inwards from the end a little so you can pull the end of it out from the blade holders. Reverse to reinstall the new blades.
Good information on compressing the end. As the ends appear different which end of the blade do I compress?

Thanks in advance,
Carl
Old 12-06-16, 08:16 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Good information on compressing the end. As the ends appear different which end of the blade do I compress?

Thanks in advance,
Carl
The end that points away from the car (I'll call this end, the top) when the arm is raised is where there is a "hole" in the "teeth" holding the blades in. In order to get the wiggle room so that the end of the blade can clear into this "hole" you may need start compressing the blade from the middle.
Basically, hold the arm with your left hand, grab the blade with your right hand near the middle and pull towards the bottom. Use your fingers from the left hand to prevent the blade from springing back to original, then move your right hand up a little, and pull that down, ... repeat until you get to the top, at which point, the blade should have "shrunk" by about 1-2 cm, which should enable you to pull the end of the blade out of the "hole".
Old 12-06-16, 08:18 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

The end that points away from the car (I'll call this end, the top) when the arm is raised is where there is a "hole" in the "teeth" holding the blades in. In order to get the wiggle room so that the end of the blade can clear into this "hole" you may need start compressing the blade from the middle.
Basically, hold the arm with your left hand, grab the blade with your right hand near the middle and pull towards the bottom. Use your fingers from the left hand to prevent the blade from springing back to original, then move your right hand up a little, and pull that down, ... repeat until you get to the top, at which point, the blade should have "shrunk" by about 1-2 cm, which should enable you to pull the end of the blade out of the "hole".
Erm, that's from memory, but seeing as my memory is like a freakkin seive these days, I just might be wrong about which end. Give it a try, and if you still can't do it, I'll run down to my car and snap some pictures.
Old 12-06-16, 08:36 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Ok, I just checked, yes, its at the top end.
Compressing the blade
This is what the top looks like after compressing the blade
Here is where you can pull out the old blade from, after compressing the blade
Top area, after releasing the blade so it springs back into form.
The following 4 users liked this post by legrunt:
4482 (12-07-16), philwojo (12-07-16), terrybill (03-13-19), typocl (12-07-16)
Old 12-07-16, 03:44 PM
Lead Lap

Erm, that's from memory, but seeing as my memory is like a freakkin seive these days, I just might be wrong about which end. Give it a try, and if you still can't do it, I'll run down to my car and snap some pictures.
legrunt,

Thank you so much for taking the time with all your help including the photos !
I really appreciate it. The inserts have been installed now thanks to your help.

It's a prime example of how on these forums we can help each other.
Old 12-07-16, 04:57 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

legrunt,

Thank you so much for taking the time with all your help including the photos !
I really appreciate it. The inserts have been installed now thanks to your help.

It's a prime example of how on these forums we can help each other.
No worries! Enjoy the new blades!