NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

how do i adjust the headlights up

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 11:14 AM
chris108
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i adjust the headlights up

Based on the number of posts for how to adjust headlights for other Lexus models, there has to be someone out there who has figured out how to raise the beams on a 2016 nx200t f sport.

Love the car, but when going down hill, i can't see 200 feet in front of me because the lights are pointed so low.

Based on reading other posts, I get the concept, just can't find the screw to adjust...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Chris
Old 06-12-16, 11:44 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let the dealer take care of it. Don't mess with it yourself. That's why you have a warranty.
Old 06-12-16, 03:01 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDeech
Let the dealer take care of it. Don't mess with it yourself. That's why you have a warranty.
If it's within factory specs, they probably won't adjust them for you.

Locate the holes on each side labeled as UD (Up/Down). You'll need a long screwdriver and feed it down the hole, then turn it...it'll be like a gear.
Old 06-12-16, 03:07 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just be persistent and they will do it. I wouldn't mess with it because if you develop a problem they will not cover it at a later date

In the end it is your call.
Old 06-12-16, 08:11 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Seriously, it's not rocket science. You're not going to blow anything up. Just look for the indicators that show a circular double headed arrow that has "U/D" on it. That symbol means turn one way for Up and the other way for Down. That symbol should be next to a hole and if you look down that hole, you should see a plastic socket with some gears that will link up with a Phillips head (cross head) screw driver stuck into that socket. Get a longish Phillips screw driver, stick it in there and adjust what you want to adjust. Then go for a drive and if its not quite right, adjust it again until you're happy.

There are more technical steps if you want to do it the "right" way, like lining up against a white wall, adjusting so that its a couple of inches below the actual height of the headlamps etc... but in the end, driving it is where it matters. Just make sure you don't aim them too high to blind incoming traffic.
Old 06-13-16, 04:23 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Does the NX with projectors do a self-leveling test when the car starts up?

My NX has the triple-beams and I have no idea whether or not the levelling mechanism works.
Old 06-13-16, 04:29 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
Does the NX with projectors do a self-leveling test when the car starts up?

My NX has the triple-beams and I have no idea whether or not the levelling mechanism works.
Face car against wall (preferably in dark), about 20 feet away, with the main headlights on and the high beams off.
Put car to D, manually engage the e-brake, release the foot brake, you will feel the rear drop slightly, simulating a load in the rear. You should see your lights go up (as the car's rear lowers), then a second later, the lights should self adjust downwards.
Put car to N, the rear should rise back to normal. You should see the opposite reaction from your lights.
You can put the car to R to see a slightly larger response.
For an even larger response, you can press the accelerator pedal SLIGHTLY (while in D or R), but be aware this is straining your gearbox and e-brake...
Old 06-16-16, 08:45 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine were too high and people were flashing their lights at us at night so I let the dealer do the adjustment at the 10K service. Now they are way too low. Yesterday, I opened the hood and located the adjuster, put a tape mark on the garage door at the upper edge of the cutoff and turned the adjusters c/w two turns to bring them up. The next time we are out at night, I'll see if they need a little more tweeking either up or down.

To the OP, the adjustment is easy, just look at the back side of the light assemblies and find the adjuster. A #2 Phillips screwdriver will do the adjustment. I do not have the triple LEDs, if you do, the adjuster may be in a different location but still should be easy to do.
Old 06-18-16, 11:30 AM
ibmayoman
Driver School Candidate

2015 NX200T.
On the back of the light housing there is a "washer with teeth and a I think a 8mm nut all as one unit". Turn it to the left for up and right for down. I just did mine, takes a few cranks to adjust.
Old 10-05-18, 06:42 AM
Biyak
Driver School Candidate

Default Do it yourself

Mine were too high. Nearly ended up in road rage incident because everyone thought I had my brights on. I asked the dealer to adjust. At first they said they were within spec. I asked again and now I can’t see past 20 feet. Now I am adjusting them myself. Much easier than going back to the dealer.
Old 10-31-19, 05:03 PM
Driver School Candidate

Default Headlight adjustment

My dealer flat out refused (twice) to adjust my headlights saying they are to spec and the dealer could be charged or sued if they raised them. I live in a small town on a very dark highway. I begged the dealer to raise them a teeny bit. They would not! At highway speeds on low beams I would not be able to stop in time if a deer or bear was on our winding highway. Intermittent traffic makes high beams impractical.
I did it myself and I understand it is a common complaint!
Old 11-01-19, 04:01 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

Seriously adjust them yourself per everyone's recommendations here., Super easy. The dealer isn't going to void or not taking care of anything by the user adjusting the headlights (short of them turning the adjustment screw so much that it breaks, but then one would be on a whole other level of stupid)... I like avoiding the dealer at all costs. It's a PITA, you wait, get in the car to find out there is a smudge/grease mark, or something else isn't right...etc. It's annoying AF going to the dealer. So many people are correct in terms of if it's "with in spec" normally the dealers won't **** time away on something so trivial. If they were pointing straight up, or down at the ground then they would. Park on a level flat surface, and measure 25' from the wall. It should take you all of about 5 minutes to slightly tweak/adjust them. Do you have the triple beam headlights or normal projectors?

One thing I can't seem to source is the triple beam headlights have leveling motors in them and sync everytime you turn the vehicle on. Manually adjusting those I believe would just auto correct next time the car was turned on. I have to look through techstream again over the weekend to see but last I checked one could re-align using the software. Normal projectors you should just be able to turn the screw clockwise/counter clockwise to raise/lower the beam. Easy peasy.

-Nigel
Old 11-01-19, 07:18 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Here are some photos for the 2015-2017 models, i’m not sure if it’s the same for the 2018 and up.

Standard headlight

Triple Beam Headlights

Pictures were taken on the left side of the headlight. Just use a philips screwdriver and twist to your liking
Old 11-02-19, 01:18 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

I get it that a dealer won't want to adjust the headlights above what is considered "safe" by local laws, but it made a great difference to my forward visibility when my dealer adjusted the lights from "stock" to the maximum height allowed by law. Adjusting the lights was among the laundry list of items I asked the dealer to perform (for free) during my first service.

Because the lights are bright, and because the lights are adjusted a little higher than normal, and because my 2017 F-Sport has triple beams that oncoming drivers might consider as high beams, I do get the occasional flashing of lights from oncoming traffic.

To the OP: As I recall, there are at least two or three Lexus dealers in the Vancouver, BC area, but if your dealer is in Kelowna it might be a bit too far to go to Vancouver for lights when it is really quite simple to adjust them at home.