NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

ME and My Stupid Key Fob Story

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 08:26 PM
VipVip
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ME and My Stupid Key Fob Story

It was a cold saturday in the north east. One of the coldest days.
I started up my car with the key fob in my PJ's . Came into the house , Left my keyfob @home.

Upon arriving at iHop, I realize that i did not have my key fob. But in my head, I was like, " If I'm able to get here, I can get home ".

After breakfast, I was able to open the car door with lexus app, and have my girlfriend stay in the the car. Somehow, I think she might have " unlocked " the door so I was able to get into the car and start engine while inside the car, using the app.

Unfortunately I was unable to put the car in drive , I tried everything. Once inside everything basically locks up. Cant change or modify any setting such as climate control, radio stations, windows.. once you open your door. the car alarm does go off.

The resolution was I called Lexus to see if they could remote start, they told me they were only able to tow my car home. They were not even able to take me home and drive back without a tow. So I just decided to call an lyft (-$10 new customer discount ).
The Lexus rep also told me I might be able to submit this to reimbursement, which lexus gladly took care of ( $20.00 total bill ).

So Ive heard that other manufacturer does have a warning when you drive away with the keyfob. Ive called lexus customer service and they said this was not a feature on lexus.

Anyone had this same issue ? or have insight on keyfob alert ?
Old 02-22-16, 09:27 PM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

There's definitely a reminder (with a chime) on the in-dash info screen if you exit the car with the keyfob while the engine is running. I'll try to get you a picture later in the day, but if I'm not mistaken, it reminds you that the key is not in the car.

Same thing happens if you switch the ignition off and exit the car without taking the keyfob with you, the car reminds you that they key has been left inside and therefore you cannot lock it (with the handle sensors).

Hope it helps.
Old 02-23-16, 04:14 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There's also a flashing alert (yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle) flashing every time the car engine is running while the car cannot sense the key fob. Therefore, if you started the car, then left the vicinity with the key fob, that alert would be flashing when you returned without the key.
Old 02-23-16, 04:52 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm surprised you tried starting the car with the app and driving...that would be a security issue if that was possible.

Also, there are several chimes and beeps and indicators on the dash that tell you the key isn't in the car.
Old 02-24-16, 08:32 AM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

so basically since the car started, you can drive it as far as you want without the key fob? just couldn't start it again and drive back? If you start the car using the app, by the time you open the door, the engine stops right away.
By the way, when the key is not in the car and you drive away, the car will beep and let you know but it does not stop the engine.
Old 02-24-16, 10:18 AM
ishimoto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tommytqt
so basically since the car started, you can drive it as far as you want without the key fob? just couldn't start it again and drive back? If you start the car using the app, by the time you open the door, the engine stops right away.
By the way, when the key is not in the car and you drive away, the car will beep and let you know but it does not stop the engine.
if the battery in the key dies on the highway and the engine would stop that would be a bad experience.
Old 02-28-16, 11:23 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ishimoto
if the battery in the key dies on the highway and the engine would stop that would be a bad experience.
In the owners manual it shows you exactly what to do if you have a dead battery in the fob. You unlock the doors using the metal-mechanical key in the drivers door, and you hold the fob (Lexus logo side) up to the start button. It will detect it, and you can start the car.
Old 02-29-16, 01:28 PM
VipVip
Rookie

Yes. I was able to drive away without the keyFob.

I was also able to unlocked the car door and start the car and stay inside the car. But not allowed to put on drive.

Im visiting dealer this weekend. possibly to change setting
Old 03-01-16, 09:37 PM
VipVip
Rookie

Originally Posted by tommytqt
Hi tommy. Forgot how I got into the car. It could be I opened the door with the app, let her in there.
I forgot the steps how I got in there too, but I did.
thinking back there is no way i would be able to get in the car and stay in it. but I did.
I remembert may need 2 people to do this . But if its zero degrees and your mind will work over time..
Old 03-08-16, 10:10 PM
VipVip
Rookie

So my 5,000 mile maintenance light has been on for months, and ive gotten so use to just pressing that key to shut it off, that when the KEY FOB warning came on , my mind automatically ignored that sound and ignore that warning, since the maintenance screen does on top of the keyfob screen.

Blah