NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Base 2016 NX 200t or Nissan Murano SL 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 10:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Looking at Consumer Reports and results from their Owner Surveys, it looks like both NX and Murano drivers are satisfied. For "Definitely Buy Again" 75% of NX owners and 82% of Murano owners said yes.

Looking at Predicted Reliability for Trans Major and Trans Minor the Murano scores are mostly Well Above Average with a couple of Above Average, going back to the '09 model year
Old 02-10-16, 12:54 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Meh, everyone has recalls. If the motor goes, you get a whole new crate motor, I don't see the problem here.

And if the motor goes, I'm sure your Honda dealer will set you up with a loaner until they source the parts.
Not "everyone" has engine failure on such a large scale as to require a complete and massive sales halt. What happened to their QA processes and controls? What other Honda models were part of similar oversights? This casts doubt and I would definitely think twice about buying a Honda—especially a Civic.

Last edited by NXOwner; 02-10-16 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 08:37 PM
amd7674
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to see RX and the seating area was a better fit for us. Luckily the dealer just got used 2015 RX 350 and we were able to take it for a spin. My wife liked the 2015 RX 350 better over 2016. A little taller and less crowded at the front. However it is still a little over our budget :-).

Today I went back to Honda to test CRV. It was not too bad. Although with recent Civic engine issues, I wonder if it is safe to buy from them. Also there is a known from 2015 problem with vibrating engine, which according the dealer was fixed in 2016. However there are some reports from users having still some problems. On top of CRV uses CVT. LOL

ALso I looked it Santa Fe Sport and it wasn't too bad. Although the car was packed with tech, I didn't like much interior. THe ride was smooth and the 2.0L turbo engine has some power.

Since it is our secondary car, I might go with the cheapest solution which is CRV. Perhaps for my next car purchase (time to retire VAN :-)) I will revisit Lexus again.

Thanks,
Martin
Old 02-10-16, 08:58 PM
NX200T
Driver School Candidate

Since it is our secondary car, I might go with the cheapest solution which is CRV. Perhaps for my next car purchase (time to retire VAN :-)) I will revisit Lexus again.

Thanks,
Martin
I think you made a pretty good choice. But did you check the NX's cousin? The rav4?
Old 02-11-16, 04:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Not "everyone" has engine failure on such a large scale as to require a complete and massive sales halt. What happened to their QA processes and controls? What other Honda models were part of similar oversights? This casts doubt and I would definitely think twice about buying a Honda—especially a Civic.
It depends on how they would check that. If the construction of the engine is automated (so no personnel review), and the engine can last the required revolutions to leave the factory, what is there to test? The only way to do a "QA" here, would be to tear down one in every say 2,000 motors.

I figure Honda didn't even know this existed until someone went to their dealer and said "something quit in my engine" and then they started looking. Then corporate started noticing a trend and the began lol

Originally Posted by amd7674
Went to see RX and the seating area was a better fit for us. Luckily the dealer just got used 2015 RX 350 and we were able to take it for a spin. My wife liked the 2015 RX 350 better over 2016. A little taller and less crowded at the front. However it is still a little over our budget :-).

Today I went back to Honda to test CRV. It was not too bad. Although with recent Civic engine issues, I wonder if it is safe to buy from them. Also there is a known from 2015 problem with vibrating engine, which according the dealer was fixed in 2016. However there are some reports from users having still some problems. On top of CRV uses CVT. LOL

ALso I looked it Santa Fe Sport and it wasn't too bad. Although the car was packed with tech, I didn't like much interior. THe ride was smooth and the 2.0L turbo engine has some power.

Thanks,
Martin
I love when a car has problems "IS IT SAFE TO BUY!?!" Yes...its not going to seize up, come to a compete stop, and throw you through the windshield. Come on.... Additionally, the CR-V and the Civic do not even share the same engine. Honda has been producing solid cars for the better part of 3 decades, and after one engine recall, people are running for the hills....
Old 02-11-16, 05:21 AM
amd7674
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NX200T
I think you made a pretty good choice. But did you check the NX's cousin? The rav4?

I looked at it, but there is nothing exciting and overall CVR has higher scores everywhere I looked. On top of it I get good 0% financing for 5 years. In Canada (I'm not sure US), there is no engine options for either car. I would love to get V6 in one of them to get more juice LOL...

[QUOTE=Swacer;9361702I love when a car has problems "IS IT SAFE TO BUY!?!" Yes...its not going to seize up, come to a compete stop, and throw you through the windshield. Come on.... Additionally, the CR-V and the Civic do not even share the same engine. Honda has been producing solid cars for the better part of 3 decades, and after one engine recall, people are running for the hills.... [/QUOTE]

Yeah, very true. Overall I think Honda CRV is better than Hyundai Santa Fe and cheaper. The money I save now I can invest in 2-4 years time frame when I will have to replace my Honda Odyssey. At which point I will be looking at bigger cars used RX-350, Highlander or Pilot. All I need right now is second car to get me from/to work and drive kids to their sports activities on the weekends. For longer trips I will still use my van. If I had cash to burn I would look Acura RDX at the moment.

My wife hates looks of Subaru Forester. Do you guys think I should try to convince her? Do you think Subaru Forester would be better buy than CRV? I took Subaru Forester XT with their turbo engine for a quick test drive. It had super nice acceleration and I like the square build and features inside. Maybe even overkill for me, perhaps their 2.5L would do it for me LOL. The seats even though cloth had leather sides. One of the things I didn't like was luck of rear AC vents. The sales guy said there under the front seats. Also I've read some reports of some foresters having OIL consumption issues... What do you think stick with CRV or attempt/try to convince my wife to test drive Forester?

Thanks again...
Martin
Old 02-11-16, 05:49 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you and your wife need to decide whats best for you. You've now put 5-6 cars into this ranging from economy brand (Hyundai) to luxury (Acura/Lexus). You're all over the place with no clear direction or desire. I think you need to narrow some of this down yourselves before asking for more advice.
Old 02-11-16, 07:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I think you and your wife need to decide whats best for you. You've now put 5-6 cars into this ranging from economy brand (Hyundai) to luxury (Acura/Lexus). You're all over the place with no clear direction or desire. I think you need to narrow some of this down yourselves before asking for more advice.
At this point I agree. It's your money, your decision. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 02-11-16, 08:19 AM
amd7674
Driver School Candidate

desire is there, but wallet not... :-) I might take a last look at NX before pulling the trigger on CRV.

Thanks again for your input and honesty... and yes I'm all over the map and very confused...
Old 02-11-16, 11:36 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My Name:  twocents.gif
Views: 393
Size:  21.5 KB.....CRV!
Old 02-13-16, 11:14 AM
rahuljp
Driver School Candidate

Not to throw one more option into this, but if your wife doesnt like the Forester, how about the outback? Its bigger, and fully loaded with the eyesight tech is less than $35k.

I've had a couple of Nissan Maxima's and while I've had no major issues with them, both of them had some transmission issues between 60k-80k which I felt would've gotten worse at a later stage. This is also one of the reasons I got the NX based on Lexus reliability in general