Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

15 most boring cars...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 09:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Talking 15 most boring cars...

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/15-mo...-money-can-buy

Funny article, but for those who don't want to click:

-Mitsubishi Mirage
-Toyota Prius
-Volkswagen Jetta
-Mitsubishi Lancer
-Honda Civic Hybrid
-Nissan Altima
-Chevrolet Tahoe
-Acura ILX
-Buick LaCrosse
-Nissan LEAF
-Lexus ES 300h
-Any Lincoln
-Chrysler Town & Country
-BMW 5-Series
-Nissan Rogue

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-19-14 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 12:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Saw this a few nights ago. It's makes for a good laugh when you read the journalists reasons
Old 04-18-14, 09:20 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW 5-series, really?
Old 04-18-14, 10:08 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dat dude
BMW 5-series, really?
More specifically the Gran Turismo. Saying it's "boring" compared to normal 5 series sedan"
Nowhere near as boring as some of the other gems on this list, the 535i Gran Turismo cannot escape our wrath because — well, it's from BMW, for crying out loud, and this is the company that promises "The Ultimate Driving Machine"! If you love the feel of a new BMW, there's a perfectly good 535i sedan, and it costs a maddening $5,100 less than the bulky, confused "luxury hatchback" you see here. One editor quipped, "Is it boring — or offensive?"
Old 04-18-14, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Did you link the correct web site, bit? I couldn't find the article on the autos.msn site you linked.

Still, while I basically agree with them on the Prius and several Lincoln models, keep in mind that a number (though not all) of those guys in the auto press seem to think that anything that doesn't drive like a Porsche 911 is for Grandpa and Grandma. I got tired of listening to that nonsense years ago.
Old 04-18-14, 10:18 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdak25
More specifically the Gran Turismo. Saying it's "boring" compared to normal 5 series sedan"
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for posting a clip from the article.
Old 04-18-14, 10:30 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you link the correct web site, bit? I couldn't find the article on the autos.msn site you linked.

Still, while I basically agree with them on the Prius and several Lincoln models, keep in mind that a number (though not all) of those guys in the auto press seem to think that anything that doesn't drive like a Porsche 911 is for Grandpa and Grandma. I got tired of listening to that nonsense years ago.
when you open the link, hover over where it says slideshows on the left half way down and you will see the link pop up
Old 04-18-14, 10:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/15-mo...-money-can-buy
Old 04-18-14, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks....that one works.

BTW.....while I understand that the Nissan Leaf is no sports car, it's hard to imagine anything being boring that you constantly have to drive around with one eye on the road, the other on the charge-level gauge, and your brain trying to keep in mind (or be directed to by GPS) the nearest charge-outlet before the battery craps out and leaves you stranded. When you drive a pure electric, unlike with a gas/electric hybrid, you have to THINK and pay attention.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-18-14 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-18-14, 08:55 PM
LexFather

I believe they mostly were meant to be boring..

And so much irony lol

Old 04-18-14, 09:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think the new Lincoln MKZ is boring to look at. I actually think it's pretty attractive. But I'm sure dirving it is boring and I wouldn't give up my GS F Sport for one.
Old 04-18-14, 11:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I would have included the current Passat on the list, although I'm okay with it's business looks and symetric dashboard.
Old 04-19-14, 08:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I agree with most of the list EXCEPT

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
-Nissan Altima
I highly disagree.

I don't know what's going on in that reporter's head........but imho, the new Altima (L33) is not boring and imho, it's one of the more dynamic-looking vehicles in this segment (executive/mid-size/D-segment)

You want boring? Then buy a Honda Accord
Old 04-19-14, 09:01 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks....that one works.

BTW.....while I understand that the Nissan Leaf is no sports car, it's hard to imagine anything being boring that you constantly have to drive around with one eye on the road, the other on the charge-level gauge, and your brain trying to keep in mind (or be directed to by GPS) the nearest charge-outlet before the battery craps out and leaves you stranded. When you drive a pure electric, unlike with a gas/electric hybrid, you have to THINK and pay attention.
Uh not really. If you don't live far from work or drive that many miles a day all you have to do is remember to plug it up at night. I know I don't need to drive more than 50 miles a day. My daily mileage could easily be reduced to 20-30mi a day but I chose to live farther away from work.
Old 04-19-14, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Uh not really. If you don't live far from work or drive that many miles a day all you have to do is remember to plug it up at night. I know I don't need to drive more than 50 miles a day. My daily mileage could easily be reduced to 20-30mi a day but I chose to live farther away from work.
Yes, agreed. if you only go a few miles each day, and plug it in overnight, charging probably will not be an issue...except in an area-wide power failure. But, as I indicated above, that greatly limits the potential use of most full electric cars (except perhaps for the Tesla Model S and its very expensive, long-range battery) to short-range trips around town. And, of course, there is always the possibility of teen-age pranksters coming by at 2 AM when you're in bed and unplugging an outdoor cord, just to make d****e-bags of themselves....the same group that likes to go around keying paint.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-19-14 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 15 most boring cars...