NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Love ES350. Want AWD. Highlander, NX, RX, GX or GS AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 08:10 AM
jonux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love ES350. Want AWD. Highlander, NX, RX, GX or GS AWD?

We go camping with my '98 Camry. The trunk is amazing in that car.

We go on long driving trips with our '07 ES350. Love the comfort.

I want:
- Ride of the ES350
- The interior feel of the ES350 - I love how roomy the interior cabin is.
- At least as much cargo space as the Camry. The ES350 doesn't not have enough cargo space compared to the camry.
- AWD

I was thinking NX, RX, GX or GS with AWD....or just a Highlander.

I'm okay doing roof racks and bike racks.

I only need 5 seats.

I was really impressed with the latest Highlander.

I don't like the styling of the RX - but could be okay if everything else meets my needs.

I don't really like the GX front seat, the swinging gate - and plus I can't put down the back seat with my front seat in normal driving position. Plus gas mileage.

I like the idea of getting a GS - but wondering if it will meet my cargo needs compared to the Camry.

Then there's the NX! Doesn't seem as interior spacious as the ES.

What are your thoughts?

I think I basically want the SUV equivalent to an ES350.

Jonux
Old 12-30-15, 08:38 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by jonux
We go camping with my '98 Camry. The trunk is amazing in that car.

We go on long driving trips with our '07 ES350. Love the comfort.

I want:
- Ride of the ES350
- The interior feel of the ES350 - I love how roomy the interior cabin is.
- At least as much cargo space as the Camry. The ES350 doesn't not have enough cargo space compared to the camry.
- AWD

I was thinking NX, RX, GX or GS with AWD....or just a Highlander.

I'm okay doing roof racks and bike racks.

I only need 5 seats.

I was really impressed with the latest Highlander.

I don't like the styling of the RX - but could be okay if everything else meets my needs.

I don't really like the GX front seat, the swinging gate - and plus I can't put down the back seat with my front seat in normal driving position. Plus gas mileage.

I like the idea of getting a GS - but wondering if it will meet my cargo needs compared to the Camry.

Then there's the NX! Doesn't seem as interior spacious as the ES.

What are your thoughts?

I think I basically want the SUV equivalent to an ES350.

Jonux

Best combination of ES-like-ride and utility is with the RX or Highlander. NX's shorter wheelbase will give you a more bouncy ride so I would count it out. The RX with AVS will ride smoothest of these SUVs.

GS 350 AWD is excellent too and will handle best of the bunch thanks to its RWD-biased platform, with a near-ES ride, and has the same cargo capacity as your '98 Camry...

Have fun shopping!
Old 12-31-15, 01:55 AM
kenji4861
Rookie

I'm in the same shoes.

I want the Lexus RX for all the reasons you mentioned, but just feel it makes me into a family man with such a huge car.

Keep going around NX > RX > ES. I promise I'll choose soon now that I have a lot of time.
Old 12-31-15, 07:07 AM
jonux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kenji4861
I'm in the same shoes.

I want the Lexus RX for all the reasons you mentioned, but just feel it makes me into a family man with such a huge car.

Keep going around NX > RX > ES. I promise I'll choose soon now that I have a lot of time.

DId you try the Highlander Limited? That front seat is very comfortable IMO. Not Lexus drive, but maybe close enough given the amount of cargo space?
Old 12-31-15, 07:08 AM
jonux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Best combination of ES-like-ride and utility is with the RX or Highlander. NX's shorter wheelbase will give you a more bouncy ride so I would count it out. The RX with AVS will ride smoothest of these SUVs.

GS 350 AWD is excellent too and will handle best of the bunch thanks to its RWD-biased platform, with a near-ES ride, and has the same cargo capacity as your '98 Camry...

Have fun shopping!
Thanks! I will check out the GS for sure - and good to know about the NX. I've got to spend a few hours at the dealership soon.
Old 12-31-15, 01:18 PM
skabei
Driver

I'd say the NX is probably equivalent to the IS and then the RX is equivalent to the ES.
So the RX really seems to be something that fits your needs.
A note about the GS: The fact that the back seats don't flop down is a big drawback. I bought my 2012 TL thinking that I could live with it and learn to get around it but it ended up being a huge pain. So much so that I traded it in for my NX despite loving the car. I just needed something more practical since I only have room for 1 car right now.

The NX has limited carrying space for it's size and weight though but it'll have more than the Camry. Other small SUVs have better cargo space. The RDX is great for carrying space but it runs a little loud with road noise. Drive is brilliant though since it has an NA V6.

If you're looking at the Highlander, I think it's worth looking at the new Pilot as well. The new Pilot has SH-AWD and it looks very good.