NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

How to remove the roof rails?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 09:33 AM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove the roof rails?

I just bought the vinyl gloss wrap for the roof but I have no idea on how to remove the roof rails? The car is brand new and I don't want to damage it.

Any ideas?

I would prefer to do this myself because the local shops are charging between 500-900 dollars to install a 60 dollar part.

Last edited by nxlex; 12-27-15 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 01:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm thinking you might need to do it from underneath the roof by removing the headliner...

Regardless, you really want to remove the racks? It would still look good if wrapped in between and will be far easier...

Old 12-27-15, 03:51 PM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

i love the racks. I just wanted to temporarily remove them so that it would be easier to wrap the entire roof. I'm going for the same look as the pictures you posted.

Removing the headliner is way to much work and i dont want to spend 500 dollars on this.

hmmm, i dont know what to do.

it seems like it would be hard to try and wrap the roof with those racks on. Also taking the antenna off looks like a pain as well.

thoughts?
Old 12-27-15, 04:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^Shouldn't be that bad. To save $500+ dollars, I'd do it and worse case, you learned from a $60 roll and try again for another $60 if you mess up.

From a little bit of experience with this over the years, I'd cut the piece (unpeeled) sized just 1-2 cm wider than within the roof racks and sunroof opening, then when ready to install, spray liberally your roof with the soapy water solution, remove the backing, center your vinyl, and squeegee from center out. NOTE: it will be much easier with a second person helping you especially to initially place the vinyl on the roof.

For the fin and within the roof rails, I'd cut around it carefully with an exacto knife. They also sell tape with a string to cut the vinyl without a knife to avoid risking cuts on your clearcoat.

The fin piece, on my IS, it's in two cut pieces. Doesn't show unless you are looking for it from within inches.

Good luck, have fun doing it, and post pics when done!

Old 12-28-15, 05:32 AM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^Shouldn't be that bad. To save $500+ dollars, I'd do it and worse case, you learned from a $60 roll and try again for another $60 if you mess up.

From a little bit of experience with this over the years, I'd cut the piece (unpeeled) sized just 1-2 cm wider than within the roof racks and sunroof opening, then when ready to install, spray liberally your roof with the soapy water solution, remove the backing, center your vinyl, and squeegee from center out. NOTE: it will be much easier with a second person helping you especially to initially place the vinyl on the roof.

For the fin and within the roof rails, I'd cut around it carefully with an exacto knife. They also sell tape with a string to cut the vinyl without a knife to avoid risking cuts on your clearcoat.

The fin piece, on my IS, it's in two cut pieces. Doesn't show unless you are looking for it from within inches.

Good luck, have fun doing it, and post pics when done!

Thank you!!!

Do you have a link for the "tape with string"? Is it on amazon?

When i lay the wrap on the roof, the antenna is going to be in the way, so should just cut around it? That seems awkward and difficult to do. Hmmm, do you have pics or can you explain more?

Can i get away with just using a Chizler instead of a Squeegee or should i just get a Squeegee?

Amazon.com: Lil Chizler Hand Tool for Vinyl Wraps & Decals: Automotive Amazon.com: Lil Chizler Hand Tool for Vinyl Wraps & Decals: Automotive

Once i have the link for the "tape with string" I'll order it and try this right away.

Thanks again!
Old 12-28-15, 07:52 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Search "knifeless tape"on amazon, ebay, etc.

Check out these videos below for tips.

I never used the Chizler but instead a soft 3" generic squeegee I got with window tint kits I bought over the years and worked fine. Even a credit card would do but might scratch the gloss more easily than a purpose-built tool. In short, Chizler looks fine.

Wrapping the fin and around its base. Here's what I would do:

1. When you dry fit your large vinyl roof piece, you can also cut a small hole roughly the shape of the fin (but smaller than its footprint) where the fin is but make sure you meet up with the vinyl, flat on the roof to the fin so the location is accurate.

2. When it's time to wrap, I would wrap the fin first with a very slight overlap onto the roof 2-3 mm max all around this way you have a slight margin of error when cutting the main roof vinyl wrap around the fin such that your original roof color will not show (if you cut around too large).

Have fun!

Old 12-28-15, 11:20 AM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks! I learned a lot. I just ordered the knifeless tape and the squeegee, it will be here on the 30th.

It looks like i'm going to have to use a knife for the antenna instead of the tape right?

Just so i fully understand this, sorry for the multiple questions, i will make a small shark like hole for the antenna on the large roof wrap, focus on that section first, lay the wrap, then cut out the piece of the wrap for the fin? Then i should wrap the fin later with smaller pieces? Correct?

Thanks,
Old 12-28-15, 01:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by nxlex
Wow, thanks! I learned a lot. I just ordered the knifeless tape and the squeegee, it will be here on the 30th.

It looks like i'm going to have to use a knife for the antenna instead of the tape right?

Just so i fully understand this, sorry for the multiple questions, i will make a small shark like hole for the antenna on the large roof wrap, focus on that section first, lay the wrap, then cut out the piece of the wrap for the fin? Then i should wrap the fin later with smaller pieces? Correct?

Thanks,
You have the right idea. However, I would start with the fin as I stated prior but there's no right or wrong way. If you are getting the knifeless tape, lay it on the roof around the fin 2-3 mm away (red line in pic below) then wrap the fin and over this tape. Then pull the tape underneath to cut a nice line around the fin.

Practice first and it may take you a couple tries to see if one piece of vinyl stretched and slitted at the back works and sticks, or if you may need two separate pieces joined all along the top center line of the fin.

Have a hair dryer handy when you need to more easily stretch the vinyl around curved surfaces like the fin and on the inside perimeter of the sunroof opening. When you do this latter part, you'll need to open your sunroof to a position that allows you access around the perimeter.

Here's another video that shows what I'm describing how to do it around the sunroof and edges.

Have fun and remember post before and after shots!
Old 12-31-15, 07:41 AM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

Here's my failed attempt at doing the side mirrors.

In my defense it's cold out and I had the sniffles!

As you can see the wrap is pinching because it's not a flat surface. Any ideas?

Old 12-31-15, 08:13 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I guarantee you, if I had attempted the same, it would look worse.
Old 12-31-15, 11:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by nxlex
Here's my failed attempt at doing the side mirrors.

In my defense it's cold out and I had the sniffles!

As you can see the wrap is pinching because it's not a flat surface. Any ideas?
The mirror is a tough one to practice on due to the multiple surfaces and angles. Also, this is not a DIY in cold temps since you need heat to be able to stretch the vinyl which is why you have those ridges and bubbles. Don't be afraid to stretch and pull the vinyl with heat applied (hair dryer) around shapes. It is very strong and stretchy.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-31-15 at 12:35 PM.