NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Navigation errors in 2015 nx 200 t

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 05:48 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
But...souped up Toyota!
Yes, just like GM products are the same but...souped up here and there!

Last edited by 4482; 09-21-15 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-21-15, 05:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
Yes, just like all your GM products are the same but...soured up here and there!
All my GM products?

I only own one....

I think Cadillacs are junk FWIW. Overall, I'm an equal opportunity lover and hater. I'm just willing to call BS when I see it

Last edited by Swacer; 09-21-15 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-21-15, 06:07 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

While I understand the OP is frustrated, calling the vehicle a "souped of RAV4" when most of us here are very happy with our LEXUS NX200t is well... not in "Good Spirits". While that may be the OP's opinion many of us will strongly disagree.

That said when it comes to GPS systems. They are not perfect regardless of what system you are using.

The the GPS systems in most any brand vehicle are usually behind those GPS apps you can get on your smartphone or a stand-alone GPS unit. (Sorry but that is reality OP)
Even the stand-alone GPS units and smartphone apps are not perfect either and can misguide you.

I use a Garmin 2559LMT stand alone GPS unit in my other car. It is a $250 system and has misguided me several times. When we travel we use our Google Maps GPS app on our smartphone for guidance in our rental cars and it has misguided us on many occasions as well.
Old 09-21-15, 07:47 AM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

I understand all of you love your Lexus NXt and hate any criticism of the car.

I am not questioning or insulting your loyalty to the NXt. It is a cute looking car no doubt.

Rather than trying to defend my opinion of the car, there by further inflaming your loyalties to the NXt, I am trying to find a solution to the problem with the navigation.

I know I can buy a $50 to 200 TomTom or other handheld navigation device and use it in the car to get better directions etc.. instead I am trying to see if I can use the navigation provided in the car, for it's intended use [I paid a paltry $45000 + for this car] atleast half way decently.

If I do find the answer, I promise I will post it here for others as well.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-21-15, 08:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by rocdude
I understand all of you love your Lexus NXt and hate any criticism of the car.

I am not questioning or insulting your loyalty to the NXt. It is a cute looking car no doubt.

Rather than trying to defend my opinion of the car, there by further inflaming your loyalties to the NXt, I am trying to find a solution to the problem with the navigation.

I know I can buy a $50 to 200 TomTom or other handheld navigation device and use it in the car to get better directions etc.. instead I am trying to see if I can use the navigation provided in the car, for it's intended use [I paid a paltry $45000 + for this car] atleast half way decently.

If I do find the answer, I promise I will post it here for others as well.

Thanks again for your help.
If you haven't already, you might want to check with the dealership to see if they have someone who can help with finding a possible solution.
Old 09-21-15, 11:43 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Swacer
All my GM products?

I only own one....

I think Cadillacs are junk FWIW. Overall, I'm an equal opportunity lover and hater. I'm just willing to call BS when I see it
O.K. like all GM products. Instead of BS why not just call it opinion. We all have different opinions about most everything in life, including cars.
Old 09-22-15, 07:51 AM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Map Is The Problem

Okay, got to the bottom of it. Lexus uses BING maps. And Lexus has to do something in it's software to make the car understand that a major interstate can be used to travel [I am surprised that Lexus maps do not include major Intersates in their logic] instead of using a different interstate which will add over 180 or 240 miles to the travel. What I am not sure is, if the problem is Bing or Lexus coordination with Bing Map.

We tested other cars including RX, NX in the dealership and found that all cars had the same map issue for this travel destination. This was pointed to Lexus technical side and they will now include this option in their next map update for this travel destination, which will be September of 2016.

I am surprised at this glaring lapse in the Lexus maps and more importantly how come no one else in my area had this problem or tried to find a fix for it

Ohh. BTW, there is no fix for the extraordinarily long travel time [ETA] even on roads the Nav recognizes. If you want this corrected the work around is use your cell phone Google map or use the Lexus enform, put the destination there and connect to car [you will use data] apparently this gives accurate direction and ETA.

Why can't Lexus use the same logic/function in their map instead of using an software that is still "learning" new routes??

Last edited by rocdude; 09-22-15 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-22-15, 11:53 AM
rangel28
8th Gear

I elected to not get navigation because Google Maps works so well, and I generally know where I am going. I did not know that Lexus uses Bing (or why they would use Bing). The latest iteration of Google Maps for Android is great. The application now tells you if you are on the fastest route and gives very accurate ETAs. It works over Bluetooth when listening to music on the phone (but not when listening to Satellite radio).
Old 09-22-15, 01:36 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus uses NavTech maps, MS Bing uses NavTech maps. This doesn't mean Lexus uses Bing maps.

There are settings to optimize the routes based on using Freeways, toll roads or surface roads only. Also, when a destination is selected, there are usually multiple options to select the fastest, shortest or "non toll" route. Sometimes, it's just a matter of selecting another route.
Old 09-28-15, 05:22 AM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Uses Bing

@ My0Gr81

This information is from Lexus. Lexus uses Bing maps for it's Navigation [whether the use is via Navtech, I am not sure, may be, still it ultimately relies on Bing apparently. Still it is not Bing's fault, it is Lexus's mapping issue].

Regarding the fixes you are suggesting, yes sir, tried did not work and hence this thread and frustration. So we found that Lexus maps have to learn that a major Interstate "is" available as the shortest and fastest route when calculating its travel instructions.

Apparently Lexus will make it's NAV learn that this Interstate does exist [ it is not a newly laid road but a major interstate] in it's 2017 map, too late for this years map, it is already released.

Last edited by rocdude; 09-28-15 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-28-15, 12:50 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

@ My0Gr81

This information is from Lexus. Lexus uses Bing maps for it's Navigation [whether the use is via Navtech, I am not sure, may be, still it ultimately relies on Bing apparently. Still it is not Bing's fault, it is Lexus's mapping issue].

Regarding the fixes you are suggesting, yes sir, tried did not work and hence this thread and frustration. So we found that Lexus maps have to learn that a major Interstate "is" available as the shortest and fastest route when calculating its travel instructions.

Apparently Lexus will make it's NAV learn that this Interstate does exist [ it is not a newly laid road but a major interstate] in it's 2017 map, too late for this years map, it is already released.
I've used Lexus/Toyota navigation for years in various generations in multiple states and provinces and never had it not recognize a major highway or an interstate. Once I enter the destination, it shows the default route (based on the options) and then either shows the alternate route or displays the number of alternate route available. It then allows you to pick.

Without knowing the source of your information, it is difficult to ascertain it's validity. Dealers are known to say whatever to get rid of a complaining customer. Perhaps, the insistance that Lexus uses Bing maps should be a clue. NavTeq is the largest map data provider in the world today, even Garmin uses those maps. When Microsoft bought Nokia, NavTeq wasn't included in the transaction, but Bing still switched from Google maps to NavTeq maps.

Once, I just picked the default route from Niagara Falls, NY to Erie, PA and it took me on a 2 hours tour on country roads to avoid the tolls. I picked the tolls options on the way back, and happily paid them, taking the "interstate",
Old 09-28-15, 01:06 PM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Default I think you should give some credit for other users

Originally Posted by My0gr81
I've used Lexus/Toyota navigation for years in various generations in multiple states and provinces and never had it not recognize a major highway or an interstate. Once I enter the destination, it shows the default route (based on the options) and then either shows the alternate route or displays the number of alternate route available. It then allows you to pick.

Without knowing the source of your information, it is difficult to ascertain it's validity. Dealers are known to say whatever to get rid of a complaining customer. Perhaps, the insistance that Lexus uses Bing maps should be a clue. NavTeq is the largest map data provider in the world today, even Garmin uses those maps. When Microsoft bought Nokia, NavTeq wasn't included in the transaction, but Bing still switched from Google maps to NavTeq maps.

Once, I just picked the default route from Niagara Falls, NY to Erie, PA and it took me on a 2 hours tour on country roads to avoid the tolls. I picked the tolls options on the way back, and happily paid them, taking the "interstate",
I think you should give some credit for other users. Yes, one would expect any Nav software to do what you are describing. But the problem here is that Lexus software had this glaring deficit where if completely missed a Interstate in it's directions and was sending me around the most efficient route adding over 150 miles or so.

It is not the dealer giving me the wrong information. I was actually present when the dealer's [who BTW was very helpful] rep called up Lexus technical service and explained the problem. They were able to reproduce it on their end and hence they agreed to correct the Lexus mapping utility and this will show in their next update. I do not think it is Bing's fault, I think it is Lexus software logic talking to Bing was probable not correctly entered or updated. We checked other Nx models and also the IS models since they have the same Nav, they all had the same issue.

From your posting it appears you are in upstate NY. Try to set the direction from Rochester NY to Washington DC. It completely misses I 390 and takes you east or west on I 90 through Binghampton or Buffalo. That is what I am talking about.

Now this does not include the ETA function. That can not be fixed and always is waaaaay off. What ever little adjustment function that was available to change the speed limits in the Lexus Nav has been removed in the NX model.

Last edited by rocdude; 09-28-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-30-15, 05:31 PM
Lead Lap

Interrelated to this thread is a problem I see with the current NX navigation.

With the navigation in my 2005 and 2010 RX navigation I could input a trip. After that I could go into "review", and the cursor would go along the route you were going to travel on for review. It would go fast or slow depending on your resolution setting. It would take you down each and every road that you would be traveling on. You could start from the beginning or end of your planned trip to see the exact route you would be following.

I really miss this feature in my new NX. If they still had this navigation feature those of you that had bad route problems would know before hand of the problem.

If this feature still exists in the NX...I can't find it.
Old 09-30-15, 08:00 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

I think you should give some credit for other users..
Go right ahead.