checked it out this morning. Complete disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 02:12 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default checked it out this morning. Complete disappointment

Checked it out when in. KC for work today

First off, the second i sat in this thing, i wanted to hop out immediately. It is terribly cramped. Im six feet, 190. The headroom is non existant, and while the rear seats have good leg room, they felt like jump seats. The curvature of the headliner, both front and back, makes you feel totally enveloped by the car. I repeatedly kept trying to lower the front seat further because i was in such disbelief that the seating position left your head in the rafters, which was caused by the high beltine, low window top line, and low ceiling.

Overall, the IS felt more roomy and airy. The trunk too was a joke, as there was little height to store your goods.

There was also a husband there that tried to convince his wife to go for the smaller nx on the showroom. Her immediate response upon jumping in was humorous.

overall, the rav4 feels way for useful and spacious. I have never been so hyped up about a car and so disappointed in the same time. This is coming from someone that REALLY wanted to like this car.

As i left the showroom in my business rental hyundai elantra, i had a huge breathe of fresh air, as the claustrophic cabin was no more. I mean, what does that say???

Pass. Pass big time.

Last edited by ThermonMer; 12-04-14 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-04-14, 02:29 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
Checked it out when in. KC for work today

First off, the second i sat in this thing, i wanted to hop out immediately. It is terribly cramped. Im six feet, 190. The headroom is non existant, and while the rear seats have good leg room, they felt like jump seats. The curvature of the headliner, both front and back, makes you feel totally enveloped by the car. I repeatedly kept trying to lower the front seat further because i was in such disbelief that the seating position left your head in the rafters, which was caused by the high beltine, low window top line, and low ceiling.

Overall, the IS felt more roomy and airy. The trunk too was a joke, as there was little height to store your goods.

There was also a husband there that tried to convince his wife to go for the smaller nx on the showroom. Her immediate response upon jumping in was humorous.

overall, the rav4 feels way for useful and spacious. I have never been so hyped up about a car and so disappointed in the same time. This is coming from someone that REALLY wanted to like this car.

As i left the showroom in my business rental hyundai elantra, i had a huge breathe of fresh air, as the claustrophic cabin was no more. I mean, what does that say???

Pass. Pass big time.
Sounds like my wife is gonna LOVE it once they finally get one for us to test drive!
You see, she is your diametric opposite. She's 5'ZERO in height and typically has to jack the car seat up and the sterring wheel down. Sitting in my old 750iL she told me that she felt like she was on a power lift in order to get the seat even BARELY high enough for her to see the front fenders. As to storage..pshhh. One of the reasons we are moving from a '06 Highlander Hybrid to considering an NX is because there is a .... HUGE **** cavern behind that pushed up and forward drivers seat 90% of the time now that one of our kids has moved away to college. She's tired of transporting "dead air" so a compact SUV (termed a CUV I guess) sounds like a great fit!
Now, if we could just get the dealership to realize that they are not made out of pure 18 carat gold, we will be set. $42K for a Hybrid NX with lane departure wanring, NAVI, heated seats & steering wheel would be "just fine". We don't need no stinking sunroof much less a pano roof, dont need no HUD or other things. Heck, we'd even settle for the psuedo-leatherette stuff as long as it's a Hybrid getting over 30MPG..we would be good
Old 12-04-14, 02:43 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Dont disagree. If i was a foot shorter id be looking at a completely different set of cars.
Old 12-04-14, 03:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

You've got me curious. I'm also 6' and 190 lbs. and am surprised that it seems so cramped to you. We have an Audi Q5 which I understand is similar in size to the NX and it fits me just fine with room to spare. Our 6'3" son and close friend who ride in it frequently have plenty of room too.

Are you sure the seat was adjusted to maximize the available space in the cabin?
Old 12-04-14, 03:29 PM
jalford999
Driver School Candidate

Smile Disagree on size

I am 6 ft 1 and weigh 250. Very roomy to me. I have had numerous RX's over the past 12 years and side by side they look very close. My last one was the RX450h. My only disappointment was the trunk area. Not as big as I had hoped. Once again with the back seats down it is not as flat as I had hoped. One other thing that maybe someone could answer who owns one is whether the tailgate can be made to easily go up. Once you put your hand there to open it automatically opens up slowly. Would love to open quickly myself and then use the automatic close button. I still plan on getting one. The dealer said it would probably be Jan. or Feb before they get in the NX300h. They have only 2 of the 200's in now.
Old 12-04-14, 04:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Looks the like Edge is for you.
Old 12-04-14, 07:18 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Yup. Gonna hold off for the edge...or rdx redesign if led headlights and shawd.

To be honest, i was so disappointed in the size of the nx, that i went ahead and jumped in the rx, and even that bordered the size i was hoping for. The gs too, slightly on the small side of what im hoping for. I dont know if its the huge tunnel layout on the gearbox or the stadium seating, but the entire lower half of the lineup just didnt have the roominess i was hoping for. I have the same issues with infiniti. The q50 layout it like each seat is in its own cubby.

Maybe i just didnt know what i was getting myself into.

On a side note, i got a ride in a 460L home from the airport, now that is roomy!
Old 12-04-14, 07:53 PM
rappyfly
Driver School Candidate

have a rx300 for 15 years, so time for something new.

I went to Don Valley Lexus this afternoon. They have a premium 200T and 300H. Test drive the 200T, the engine is very responsive with good torque and power once you hit the gas. if I step harder, I can feel the car want to twist a bit. They are many people trying out the car.

I canceled my preorder because of trunk space. It looks good on paper, but it is smaller than my rx and won't fit my hobby items properly.
Old 12-04-14, 08:26 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

I felt closely enclosed in the cockpit of NX but still felt roomy. I am 6'0" and 180 lbs. To me RX is bit too big, GS is just about right. I would never consider LS, S class, 7 series, A8 because those cars are too big. I found NX cargo space sufficient but I do not have kids and what I wanted was space bigger than Prius so my cargo space expectation is lower than the most of members on the forum.

Obviously we have different expectations when it comes to the interior space. I hope you will find the car that fits your needs.
Old 12-04-14, 11:29 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm 6', 190 lbs. and I did not find the NX driver's seat cramped, plenty of headroom. It was very comfortable, in my opinion. On the other hand, the rear seat felt adequate for a short trip, but I did feel cramped back there. To each his own, I guess.
Old 12-05-14, 01:04 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange, I don't feel the cabin is that cramped and I'm 190cm, 90kg+. Feels quite similar to 3IS to me.

But back seat room is limited for me.