NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 12:14 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav

Efficiency? Engine will run on lower rpm which hopefully saves gas. Like bimmer 320i which has 2.0L turbo with 180hp and 8 speed, it gets 36+ mpg. I know this is not a sedan, but will be good getting mpg closer to Mazda CX-5 at least.
Not much of a difference. I don't want my car to keep finding the right gear on local road. If they have a tall 6th, it would get great mileage, but then the lower gears will be very short like 8 speed.
Old 04-15-14, 04:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
so far, Lexus has not announced another new sites except for ES in the USA, so NX will certainly be built in Japan. They usually announce building of new factory/expansion 2 years before it is supposed to start.

I saw some talk about this few days back where few people thought it would be built locally...
Exactly, there was mention about Canada in this thread but as you said, Lexus announces this well ahead of time like the ES.

Here's another detail to point out. If it's like the IS, I think the colder regions will get the headlamp washers. On the IS, it's a bit of an eyesore while on the NX, looks more subtle.
Attached Thumbnails Official Lexus NX thread-nx_headlightwashers.jpg  
Old 04-15-14, 05:13 PM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
If Lexus decides to omit Mark Levinson audio from NX in the States, I think that is a huge, huge mistake. ML has become synonymous with Lexus and people look for it.

I am probably in the demographic for a vehicle like this and may consider it in the future, but would not buy a Lexus that did not have ML audio. Period.
+10000000

I am currently looking to buy a small/midsize SUV and I've test driven the Q5, GLK, ML, etc. I have decided to wait for the NX to give it a shot but if it doesn't have a Mark Levinson sound system, I will ABSOLUTELY NOT BUY IT.

It also bugs me that they limit the F-sport models with what I consider HORRIBLE interior colors. I don't want a red interior (but the contrast stitch is nice...just not in red)...ever. I also hate Aluminum trim. I don't know why manuf. think that exudes "sport luxury". Aluminum is inexpensive. Also, "piano black" looks terrible too. Too plain. It just looks like a strip of shiny plastic. Just give me a wood or black CF option for the sport.
Old 04-15-14, 05:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

of the current lexus lineup, outside of the ls460 and lx570 (both of which have mark levinson reference systems not just regular mark levinson), i personally don't notice that much of a difference between premium audio and mark levinson upgrade. unlike in the past where ml provided huge improvement in audio quality. for the price difference, i don't see ml as that much of a gain anymore
Old 04-15-14, 05:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JZS147btr
+10000000

I am currently looking to buy a small/midsize SUV and I've test driven the Q5, GLK, ML, etc. I have decided to wait for the NX to give it a shot but if it doesn't have a Mark Levinson sound system, I will ABSOLUTELY NOT BUY IT.

It also bugs me that they limit the F-sport models with what I consider HORRIBLE interior colors. I don't want a red interior (but the contrast stitch is nice...just not in red)...ever. I also hate Aluminum trim. I don't know why manuf. think that exudes "sport luxury". Aluminum is inexpensive. Also, "piano black" looks terrible too. Too plain. It just looks like a strip of shiny plastic. Just give me a wood or black CF option for the sport.
why do you think that F-Sport is limited to red? It is red that is limited to f-sport :-).
You can get other colors with F-Sport as well.

As to "piano black". I dont think that exists at all in F-Sport. What you saw was black shimamoku wood, like in LS F-Sport. I bet now you want that... it was Euro model on the pics, so who knows :-)
Old 04-15-14, 05:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
of the current lexus lineup, outside of the ls460 and lx570 (both of which have mark levinson reference systems not just regular mark levinson), i personally don't notice that much of a difference between premium audio and mark levinson upgrade. unlike in the past where ml provided huge improvement in audio quality. for the price difference, i don't see ml as that much of a gain anymore
Agree. ML in my current and past RX is only a little better than the "Premium" sound system. But for some, it's also the label on the facade of the radio that is important.
Old 04-15-14, 08:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Exactly, there was mention about Canada in this thread but as you said, Lexus announces this well ahead of time like the ES.

Here's another detail to point out. If it's like the IS, I think the colder regions will get the headlamp washers. On the IS, it's a bit of an eyesore while on the NX, looks more subtle.

cool, nice catch...
Old 04-15-14, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agree. ML in my current and past RX is only a little better than the "Premium" sound system. But for some, it's also the label on the facade of the radio that is important.
no argument there and i respect that. for 07/08 to 2012, at least people can argue ml comes with dvd changer so they can play dvd. but starting 2013, dvd player is standard on all which takes away the advantage of ml system further
Old 04-15-14, 10:05 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or maybe putting the CVT transmission will be suitable for 2.0T instead of 6/8 speed. NX won't be a performance-oriented CUV anyway, and CVT has always been known for being smooth. Just maybe, it will be a good new approach to balance smoothness & fuel efficiency
Old 04-15-14, 10:20 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smardav
Or maybe putting the CVT transmission will be suitable for 2.0T instead of 6/8 speed. NX won't be a performance-oriented CUV anyway, and CVT has always been known for being smooth. Just maybe, it will be a good new approach to balance smoothness & fuel efficiency
Tell Subaru about that. Subaru WRX and JDM Legacy GT CVT has to be one of performance oriented CVTs.
Old 04-16-14, 01:52 AM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

While I agree that the sound difference between the LPA and ML isn't as great as it used to be (shame on Lexus for that), it is still better. I can hear the difference in the music I listen to. This is much more important in Lexus cars because upgrading the audio via aftermarket solutions is a real PITA and voids all sorts of warranties. I personally don't care if it says "Mark Levinson" or "Uncle Bob's Transistor Radios", what I care about is the sound quality. The price difference should be a lot less now considering the level of difference. I really which they would offer a "reference" upgrade in all of the cars. Just because I don't want a gas/space guzzling LX doesn't mean I don't want quality audio. And since it's 2014, all Lexus cars should include the ability to play MP3's from BD-R data discs, no real excuse not to.

And for me, I could care less about the transmission so long as it's a SOLID one (remember the RX300's "Guaranteed to blow up" 4x4 transmission?). This is a CUV/SUV, I'm not carving canyons in it. The only reason why I'd get the F-Sport is simple for the exterior enhancements, if they just offered a F-sport "bodykit" without the other items (which isn't really impressive in the first place) and the color combo restrictions, I'd be happy.

When I mention the "piano black" interior, I wasn't referring to Lexus, sorry if that threw you guys off, I should have been more clear on that. Piano black is a "sport" option for some other brands. The few F-Sport models that I configured on Lexus's website had either one or two color "choices" for the F-sport model. I really like the dark tan/camel colored interiors you can't get that color in a F-sport.

Another thing that bugs me about the NX is the nav screen. It looks like someone just dropped a Garmin XL on a cutout. It looks horrible in MB's and Audi's, I don't understand why Lexus would follow that look. If Lexus wanted to copy something, they should have copied the full active dash from the upcoming 3rd gen Audi TT

Last edited by JZS147btr; 04-16-14 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 03:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JZS147btr
While I agree that the sound difference between the LPA and ML isn't as great as it used to be (shame on Lexus for that),
i think their point was that Premium Audio improved significantly from previous models.

As to the nav, overall i think the look is fine because they did integrate it a bit... it is not like on Audi's where screen pops up and looks like it does not belong there.

As to TT, i think that looks cool but generally their move to remove everything from central console into the combination meters is wrong IMHO. You dont want to look down for any info.

They should have done LCD combination meter plus LCD screen thats on center console, so it would be easier to glance for drivers.... like what MB does with S class for instance.
Old 04-16-14, 06:29 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Yeah...6spd is very disappointing for a 2015 model year luxury vehicle.
Ditto. 6-speed was great 10 years ago but is seriously showing its age now. Rivals have moved on to 7 speeds or more even at the entry levels and Lexus should at the very least play catch-up if not beat them. Also, a carryover powertrain from the ES300h is rather disappointing too. Thought they'd take this opportunity to add DI to it.
Originally Posted by Autoweek
The NX 300h will get a 2.5-liter four with Lexus Hybrid Drive and a CVT transmission. Since it has a hybrid drive, its 2.5-liter gasoline engine operates in the Atkinson cycle all the time. Total system horsepower for the hybrid will be “comparable to the ES 300h,” which is to say, about 200 hp.

Last edited by ydooby; 04-16-14 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 07:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Ditto. 6-speed was great 10 years ago but is seriously showing its age now. Rivals have moved on to 7 speeds or more even at the entry levels and Lexus should at the very least play catch-up if not beat them. Also, a carryover powertrain from the ES300h is rather disappointing too. Thought they'd take this opportunity to add DI to it.
what does number of speeds have to do with age in any case? Aisin just announced brand new 4 speed for China.

6 speed in GS has nothing to do with 6 speed from 10 years ago.
Old 04-16-14, 07:55 AM
LexFather

There is a big difference between ML and standard to me...the premium is a step down compared to years past, not a fan of the stock system at all.

Maybe I'm biased since they all have ML in it lol

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread