NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 01:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I know the difference - thank u!

I have no issue with a small CUV - in fact as i said Lexus should have many more models to match the Germans.

I have no issues with sharing parts with Toyota to save costs.

My issue is where is the Lexus DNA in these products.
They were obviously developed for Toyota and now Lexus will put on fancier trim and nicer interior and a big Grill and call it a new model.

Lexus needs to get away from Toyota with separate R&d, engineers, designers etc.

Audi is very good at separting themselves from VW. There are no blatant rebadges like Lexus has in their lineup.
The TT is based off the Golf. The 5 series is based off the 7 series which is why it weighs so much. The E class coupe is actually a C-class platform with an E class body. etc etc.. Lambo's use Audi engines....doesn't seem to be an issue there. FWD cars coming galore as well.

All car brands share and clearly Lexus does a much better job with differentiation than the other Asian brands.

When the LFA came full of Lexus DNA, the same people *****ed how expensive it was and how stupid it was.

Toyota/Lexus are companies and if they can make a very good product sharing parts not sure what the issue is. Its one of the reasons consumers love them and they are as profitable as they are.
Old 10-18-13, 01:07 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That was funny.
Old 10-18-13, 01:13 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I think its safe to say it is just a prototype and that the production version will look different.
I'm sure the production version will look like a Lexus, with a full spindle grille and a more L-finesse'd profile.

My issue is with the prototype itself. Lexus needs to know that prototypes testing in public will be caught and spy shots will be circulated. This Lexus prototype simply looks like a RAV4. They need to disguise it better, at least to the point that it is not immediately recognizable as a straight Toyota model at first glance.

Last edited by ydooby; 10-18-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-18-13, 01:15 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the difference - thank u!

I have no issue with a small CUV - in fact as i said Lexus should have many more models to match the Germans.

I have no issues with sharing parts with Toyota to save costs.

My issue is where is the Lexus DNA in these products.
They were obviously developed for Toyota and now Lexus will put on fancier trim and nicer interior and a big Grill and call it a new model.

Lexus needs to get away from Toyota with separate R&d, engineers, designers etc.

Audi is very good at separting themselves from VW. There are no blatant rebadges like Lexus has in their lineup.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 10-18-13 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-18-13, 01:46 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Sharing platform is one thing, but having a new Lexus prototype be caught with a barely modified RAV4 sheetmetal is quite another. Spy shots like these don't help Lexus's image at all. Lexus needs to be more careful with the prototypes they build, knowing that these prototypes will be seen by the public in one way or another, being driven on public roads and all. Put on much heavier camo or strip more bits from the exterior. Just don't make its Toyota root so painfully obvious from just a simple glance at the exterior. As it is this prototype is shameful for a Lexus fan to be honest.
Please learn the difference between a prototype and a mule.
Old 10-18-13, 01:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The TT is based off the Golf. The 5 series is based off the 7 series which is why it weighs so much. The E class coupe is actually a C-class platform with an E class body. etc etc.. Lambo's use Audi engines....doesn't seem to be an issue there. FWD cars coming galore as well.

All car brands share and clearly Lexus does a much better job with differentiation than the other Asian brands.

When the LFA came full of Lexus DNA, the same people *****ed how expensive it was and how stupid it was.

Toyota/Lexus are companies and if they can make a very good product sharing parts not sure what the issue is. Its one of the reasons consumers love them and they are as profitable as they are.
The issue is Lexus is LAZY. You have to believe that as one of the biggest and most profitable companies Toyota/Lexus is capable of a LOT MORE than the products that they are offering.

Btw where are those Fsport parts for the GS??? There is no true follow up / commitment to Lexus as a separate brand/division.

LFA was great but it was a one-off special pet project demanded by CEO -Toyoda

SC was a founding Lexus model and it was thrown away with no replacement.
Current Lexus engines are over 8yrs old.

I can go on....
Old 10-18-13, 01:52 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Please learn the difference between a prototype and a mule.
All that matters is this thing has the exterior of a popular Toyota model and the interior of a Lexus. Don't get caught doing so!
Old 10-18-13, 02:02 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is Lexus is LAZY. You have to believe that as one of the biggest and most profitable companies Toyota/Lexus is capable of a LOT MORE than the products that they are offering.

Btw where are those Fsport parts for the GS??? There is no true follow up / commitment to Lexus as a separate brand/division.

LFA was great but it was a one-off special pet project demanded by CEO -Toyoda

SC was a founding Lexus model and it was thrown away with no replacement.
Current Lexus engines are over 8yrs old.

I can go on....
I believe new drivetrains have been confirmed for 2014.

2016?
Old 10-18-13, 02:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am very excited for the future of Lexus.
Old 10-18-13, 02:21 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't wait for the NX to be available. I want a Rav4 size Lexus! to replace my RX. A rebadge it won't be.
Old 10-18-13, 02:44 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus excited me a lot, but also lets me down sometimes.

As previous posters said:

Where are F-Sport parts for the new IS/GS?
Where are the new F Models? Only carryover ISF right now.
This RAV4 mule - IMO big mistake. It enhances the toyota --> lexus ties.
Slow to market with new models
Few engine choices
Cannot get all options on all models (Like you cannot get certain options if you buy the F-Sport model).

I hope Lexus addresses these issues. Its almost if they don't care about the aftermarket "F-Sport" parts and F models anymore
Old 10-18-13, 03:17 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Different strokes for for different folks. I could care less about f-sport parts, F models, big horse power, sports cars and the like. I want utility with luxury. Lexus appeals to a wide range of customers.
Old 10-18-13, 03:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am very excited for the future of Lexus.
What are u excited about?
Maybe im missing something.

The only new model that is exciting is the RC F.
Hopefully GS F will come but it is rumored to have 450hp which is not too exciting for $100k.

New LS, SC, A7/CLS fighter, other F variants nobody has info.
Old 10-18-13, 03:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Different strokes for for different folks. I could care less about f-sport parts, F models, big horse power, sports cars and the like. I want utility with luxury. Lexus appeals to a wide range of customers.
Thats fine and nothing wrong with that.

But Other premium automakers all cater to both sides of the spectrum.

Lexus made Great strides with the Fsport program and lots of ppl LOVE OEM perf packages.
Lexus just needs to follow through all the way!
Old 10-18-13, 03:59 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Lexus excited me a lot, but also lets me down sometimes.

As previous posters said:

Where are F-Sport parts for the new IS/GS?
(

There won't be any F-Sport parts for the GS.

Not sure about the IS though, since when Lexus announced that, the IS was not out yet.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread