Rock Chip and Rust Spot Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 09:17 PM
Jusebast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Chip and Rust Spot Repair

Hi Everyone,

I bought a demo NX200T a few months ago. In the last couple weeks I'm noticing quite a few spots of paint chipping off on the front end , pillars, and where the roof meets the windshield. One spot on the pillar directly behind the drivers mirror has a spot that chipped off about a centimeter in size that rusted over in the last two weeks.

I want to get this resolved ASAP and have already booked appointment to get 3M on the front spots, however I want to get the paint fixed up and the rust spot removed before applying 3M, so what would you guys recommend to remove the rust spot and patch up the rock chips and paint chips on the vehicle? The dealer recommended a paint pen but from the vehicles I've seen done it didn't look nice and stood out, so if there is a better option I'd appreciate some advice on what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm from Canada as well so Dr. Colorchip isn't an option (they don't ship here and it seems to be the one everyone mentions in these forums). My NX is white as well so the spots stand out quite easily.
Old 10-09-15, 02:42 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't have many options to be entirely honest.

A paint pen from a dealer is going to be your best route unless you have trusted paint shop that can matching in small scale.

Personally, I would buy the paint pen. Then, at the rust, take some Coke (yes, the pop/soda), pour it on the rust. This must be done on cool paint in the shade. Let it sit there for 2-3 minutes and then spray it off with a hose. Dry the car. Then take some meguiars ultimate compound, apply to a microfiber applicator (not a normal applicator, you need the additional grit of the microfiber) and rub. You should be able to remove the surface corrosion from the paint chip areas.

Once that is done, get a plastic bag, something as small as a sandwich bag. Pour some of the paint onto this. Take a sewing needle and soak one end of it into the paint. Then apply that carefully to the car. This should minimize your spillage. if you find that you put too much too quickly, get a paper towel and DAB the wet paint only. The towel will absorb as much as you need.

Let that dry for a few hours, and then take the meguiars compound with another microfiber applicator, and begin sanding down the overage.

it takes time, but this works all the time for me.
Old 10-09-15, 03:57 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Some sound advice from Swacer.

I agree we're limited in Canada on available products, but I've used this Turtlewax Scratch kit with great success on past cars including my IS. Key thing is to fill slightly more than the void so that you can wet sand it down flush which is what will make the deep scratch or chip look like it never occurred.

It's about 20$ easily available at Walmart and Canadian Tire. You will also need the touch up paint pen from Lexus. Good luck.

Old 10-09-15, 09:15 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome to Alberta, the land of gravel laden roads and lifted trucks without mudflaps.. There are some good tips above. The main steps are clean, paint and polish. The touch up pen from the dealer will provide a perfect match. If you've never used one before, the important part is not to drag the pen, but to dab it.

After you get the spots touched up, you will want to let it cure for a good 2 week probably before the 3M. Since you're going down that route anyway, I strongly recommend full bumper and hood.

This Youtube video provides the best approach I've seen if you are very detail oriented.

Last edited by computerwi; 10-09-15 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-10-15, 01:55 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/faq.htm I use their product on the CT200 works great- they also give you special applicators for small chips.

Why not get a guy to clear bra the problem area. I have all my new vehicles done. Last winter by the end of the year we had so much snow they were literally putting gravel/sand on the roads. Broke my trucks windshield. When I called my insurance they said its a really bad yr. for windshields.
Old 10-30-15, 09:02 AM
bcx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone bought the paint pen from their Lexus dealer? I think it has one side for the paint/base coat and the other end is the clear coat. Just wondering if it requires primer before using it (assuming the scratch has gone down to the metal).