Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Things to do in Silver Springs, MD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 09:01 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to do in Silver Springs, MD?

I am heading down to the DC area this weekend for my cousins wedding and was wondering what there is to do for fun right in the immediate area of Silver Springs, MD. I will basically have Friday night to myself and possibly Saturday late night as well. Anyone know of any cool hang-out spots, bars, etc. that I could hit up?

All suggestions welcome. (almost...no gay bars, please)
Old 06-15-06, 12:23 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

maybe try in the NELOC forum at the bottom, there are a couple of members down that way
Old 06-15-06, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I work in Silver Spring, ebruce. I don't hang out in bars per se, but if you want a nice place to eat, the Oriental East right across from my office on East-West Highway and Colesville Rd. in the shopping center has great food. There is also a Hooters in nearby Rockville if you want something more lively.

Are you driving? There is a train station in Silver Spring...also right next to my office. You probably can ride the Amtrak train down from Pittsburgh if you want.
Old 06-15-06, 03:05 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I work in Silver Spring, ebruce. I don't hang out in bars per se, but if you want a nice place to eat, the Oriental East right across from my office on East-West Highway and Colesville Rd. in the shopping center has great food. There is also a Hooters in nearby Rockville if you want something more lively.

Are you driving? There is a train station in Silver Spring...also right next to my office. You probably can ride the Amtrak train down from Pittsburgh if you want.
thanks, mmarshall I am definitely driving and staying at the Crowne Plaza right off the beltway. Hooters is always fun, thats for sure.

Oh, and sorry for the unnecessary "S" on the end of Silver Spring.

Also, I am taking the Lex down... should I have anything to worry about in terms of neighborhood?
Old 06-15-06, 08:07 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been awhile since I've been back in Maryland.

So things to do:
1) Rockville Barnes and Nobles, friday nights: the car meets may have started.
2) Adams Morgan: great bar scene and sorta accessible by metro.
3) Georgetown: bars and also a bar on the waterfront which is also accessible by metro.
Old 06-16-06, 05:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ebruce2
thanks, mmarshall I am definitely driving and staying at the Crowne Plaza right off the beltway. Hooters is always fun, thats for sure.

Oh, and sorry for the unnecessary "S" on the end of Silver Spring.

Also, I am taking the Lex down... should I have anything to worry about in terms of neighborhood?
if you're staying at the one in Silver Spring...here's the site for it. Just a couple of blocks from my office.
http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=...ct=result&cd=2

Take I-270 down from Frederick, MD ( it will be crowded on rush-hour mornings...remember, we have the second-worst traffic in the country ) to the 495 Beltway West. Get off a couple of miles later at 97 ( Georgia Ave. ) South. The Hotel is a couple of miles ahead...in downtown Silver Spring.
Silver Spring is a rather old, run-down area that is being rennovated with a lot of new construction. It is not the best of neighborhoods but is generally better than a lot of places in D.C. itself.

If you're in a hurry, of course, the PA Turnpike and the I-70 exit at Breezewood is the quickest route from Pittsburgh, but if you have time to take it easy on the way, buzz on down to Uniontown, about an hour SE of Pittsburgh, and take 40 East. The famous Summit Climb SE of Uniontown, just past Hopwood, up Chestnut Ridge, is quite dramatic.......and has picturesque views of the city at the summit. It has long been one of my favorite spots in Pennsylvania....but your cooling system should be working properly..it's a steep climb.

40 East will eventually take you to Frederick to pick up I-270...but it has some steep hills and you go through towns.

One last thing...though it has not been bad at all yet this summer, the DC area can get like a steam bath...much worse than Pittsburgh. Be prepared for at least some heat and humidity.

Have a nice trip. ...and best of luck to your cousin and the marriage.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-16-06 at 06:25 AM.