Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: Have you had your transmission flushed or drained?
YES
51.41%
NO
15.09%
NO, but I plan on getting it done
33.50%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Flush/Change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 03:14 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the dealership, the power-flush machine has a clear section of tubing so you can see what the ATF looks like as it passes through. ATF by its very nature is a detergent (did I say this before?) and so it's gonna get dirty.

A power flush is best because it flushes out all the old fluid and attached gunk using the tranny's idle -- they put it up a few feet on a lift, throw it into low (aka 1st) and let it idle. the rear wheels spin, hence the tranny goes, moving the fluid all around, cleaning out the inside. When that is all done, the simply drain and replace with another batch of fluid.

Sometimes a car will have so much crap that they will have to "rinse and repeat" sorta speak. But you're never too old for a good flush :-) I had mine done at 126,000 and it was a good idea. (Price wasn't bad either ;-)

John
Old 09-29-03, 05:01 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never had it flused.. i think i should do it soon..
i did drain it out and fill.
i was going to drop the pan and clean out the filter, but when i got through half the bolts, i gave up lol.
it was gettin too hot under the car..
You dont need to replace your transmission filter. just drop the pan, and clean it out with brake cleaner..
its a metal filter, not some paper filter like on ford.. hah

after i did the drain and fill. my car feels alittle better.
no more of that kunk sound when i reverse, and put the car in Drive..
Old 02-19-04, 10:19 AM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

im a noob to the SC world, so can anyone post pics of what/where the drain and pan? i havent been under the car yet, so i dont know what it looks like or what to take off...
Old 02-19-04, 11:13 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Like Jon said, gadgetSC's SP57 thread has pics of the pan, but it's hardly necessary- once you crawl way under the car, it will be very apparent where the tranny pan is. It's the only large, dark, oil-encrusted object in the dead center of the undercarriage. The drain plug is towards the rear of the pan.

Mine had such a solid, even coating of oil and dirt, I originally took it for rubberized rust-preventative undercoating applied at the factory, but once I took a putty knife to it, I realized I had quite a bit of cleaning ahead of me
Old 02-19-04, 02:25 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

ok thanx, i will look under the car when i find time. where do i fill the tranny fluid from and how many quarts?
Old 08-17-04, 11:19 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

I had a fairly pronounced TCC shudder that occured on torque converter lockup around 38-42mph. I had the dealer power flush the trans with the BG machine and the TCC shudder only occurs rarely now. The flush was done at 106K.
Old 02-06-06, 01:02 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

I have 117k. Had mine flushed about 10k ago. Took it to my buddies muffler shop. Make a considerable diff in cold weather when shifting. I dont think they did a full flush though. I need to ask him exactly what they did.
Old 02-08-06, 06:30 PM
SCV8
Instructor

The dealer did a flush at 90K, or at least they said they did, who knows, but I have since been draining the 2 quarts from the pan and replacing every other oil change, 6k miles about, that keeps it freshened up.
Old 02-12-06, 11:20 PM
shaman
Rookie

Best bet is to find someone that does a T-Tec, then follow it with a pan drop. T-Tec is a machine that connects to the hoses from your cooler, and allows the transmissions own pump to get rid of the fluid. A so called power flush can put too much pressure on a tranny part and cause problems. Fluid is pumped back in through the return line as the same speed it is pumped out. After that is done, drop the pan, clean it, then change the filter, if it’s time. If you have a metal screen type filter, I might suggest that you use a better form of filtration like a magnefine or a spin on filter, because a metal filter isn’t probably doing much filtering.
Old 02-23-06, 05:11 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Had mine flushed using Amsoil. Have 15k on the Amsoil and it is still Cherry red. Toyota type iv would be brown at this mileage point.
Old 03-05-06, 02:43 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DA is that synthetic like, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Sea...?CategoryID=50 and how long would you expect to get from it ? Do you know if Lexus dealers install Amsoil and is it consistent with Lexus warranty? thks!
I am wondering what the very best way is to do this 2FWD tranny, there isn't anything in the owner's manual that I found.
Old 03-06-06, 04:50 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by parula
DA is that synthetic like, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Sea...?CategoryID=50 and how long would you expect to get from it ? Do you know if Lexus dealers install Amsoil and is it consistent with Lexus warranty? thks!
I am wondering what the very best way is to do this 2FWD tranny, there isn't anything in the owner's manual that I found.
Yes it is 100% synthetic, and will not cause any problems with your tranny. It should not void your warranty either. No need to tell the dealer what is in there. It is hard to tell the difference since the Amsoil tranny fluid is the same color as the OEM Toyota fluid. This is the one to purchase https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx It is the Amsoil universal synthetic tranny fluid. It is the synthetic equivalent to Toyota Type IV. I definetly feel a difference with it. Car shifts much smoother and feels lighter. Oh, might as well do the power steering with it too

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 03-06-06 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 04:55 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DA, thks, I will try to install that at next "change" or real flush if I can get that.
Old 03-07-06, 06:34 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

defintely did do my 12 bottle flush,,,,,, got the differential,,,,,,,coolant changed,,, oil change,,,,, all for 200 bucks,,,,, not bad considering how much each bottle of tranny fluid costs.....
Old 03-07-06, 08:55 PM
TrboHead
Driver School Candidate

Total Flush ATF a month ago. Did it myself with a 5 gallon bucket and rubber hose.

Drain pan. No filter to change so just drain pan.
Put plug back in and fill with 4-5 quarts of fresh fluid.
Undo the transmission Cooler line(Rubber) coming out of the lower radiator and put long rubber hose on it. Put the end of the hose in a bucket and crank the car. Put another 4-5 quarts in will the car is running until your fluid going into the bucket changes colors from a burnt purple to a nice blood red. As soon as you see it change colors turn the motor off and put the cooler line back on a check your fluid level. Your done.

Plan on making a mess but at least I can say I did.

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush/Change?