ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance-11/)
-   -   Transmission Flush/Change? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance/95215-transmission-flush-change.html)

jewelerz 09-12-03 07:30 PM

Transmission Flush/Change?

Just wondering how many of you guys have had a trans flush/drain done. If NOT how many miles do you have on your car? and what year is it? I just purchased a SC400 w/ 140k and i haven't had it flushed or drained yet?

T0ked 09-13-03 09:49 AM

I have never had the tranny flushed, but have been changing the 2 quarts that come out when you drain it every other oil change... about every 7-10k. I don't think I need to flush following that schedule...

white93 09-13-03 07:11 PM

93 sc400 149,000

Had mine flushed at the Lexus dealer for $170.00. Made a HUGE difference in shifting. Money well spend in my opinion!!!

lexsoarer400 09-14-03 12:41 AM

got 135 and getting mine flushed on monday so i can tell you after that

lexsoarer400 09-17-03 03:45 PM

the flush made a big difference off the line going slow and a little difference changing gears . . . now my only problem is the shake every so often when i'm moving at idle or sitting at a red light sorry to go off subject but any ideas?

TGRich 09-20-03 09:47 PM

I changed mine about 14 months ago in my 5 speed- I noticed smoother shifts. I can tell it's time to do it again though.

928owner 09-22-03 03:55 PM

Just Did Mine!

Just completed a total dump.

My schedule is every year change fluid. Every two years, fluid and screen.

I DO NOT use the goo in a tube Lexus has, but the pan gasket with the aftermarket kit. Works fine and the goo won't break off inside if you use too much.

If you use the gasket goo, be prpared for a good scrapping next time you drop the pan.

Also, ALWAYS buy a new plug and plug gasket when you change fluid as the bolt tends to stip after a couple of uses.... and finding a replacement at Pep Boys is not easy.... the dealer bolt is best.

PERRYinLA 09-24-03 11:48 AM

I've seen posts saying not to bother with dropping the pan and cleaning the screen since they stay very clean. So I am wondering what your experience was.

What did you see when you dropped the pan? Did the screen and/or pan have anything on them? How much additional fluid can be drained (beyond the 2 - 2.5 quarts you get out the drain plug) by dropping the pan?

VSsc400 09-24-03 11:56 AM

I do the whole flush fill, filter, gasket, pan gasket etc etc every 25k miles. Did it 4 times since I've owned the car. It's part of recommended service. and don't forget the differencial, radiator, fuel filter, injector etc etc services.

928owner 09-24-03 01:46 PM

Pan Off Dump

That is why I only dump the pan every two years. You will find a little metal powder on the 4 or 5 magnets in th pan used to collect this stuff, but it is not a lot. You do get more fluid out that way as well.

I change ALL fluids regularly (myself). During a standard oil change I always use a mighty-vac to suck the brake fluid, fan fluid and P/S fluid out. I believe in this process as I have used it for over ten years on my cars an had not had a component failure in the brake system on any of my cars. The P/S pump leak that is well know will not be preveted by doing this as the seal they used orginally was obviously not verified, but I have never had to replace a P/S pump do to an internal failure.

Keep it clean and you will go a loooong time!!

SupraCoup3 09-27-03 08:45 PM

I had a power-flush at my local lexus dealership... it cost me nothing. Oh yeah... I worked there. My fluid wasn't too bad, but occasionally I'd get a small vibration around lockup.

The SC400 tranny needs a complete flushing every 15k. The first time I drained the pan (via the bolt -- didn't drop the pan) the fluid came out black, thick, and burnt. Change it.

ATF gets dirty real easy too, it's a detergent. I know one mechanic who would actually clean out an engine by draining oil and putting in ATF, running the car for a few minutes, draining the ATF, and putting oil back in. Sounded a little dangerous to me, but he says it can really help. Not that you'd ever need to do that on an 1UZ-FE -- at the dealer where I worked, an LS400 came in with 32k and the factory filter and oil... the thing ran like a charm... go figure. Anyhow... flush that tranny.

and if you want a case of T-IV, PM me... I'm not gonna need it anytime soon :-(

john

ruki400 09-29-03 01:37 PM

Is there a point in time when you may have too many miles to flush it?
Well this knock things lose?

Lex Luthor 09-29-03 02:05 PM

You guys should refer to gadgetSC's SP57 thread if you want pics of the pan being dropped.

TGRich 09-29-03 02:06 PM

Originally posted by ruki400
Is there a point in time when you may have too many miles to flush it?
Well this knock things lose?

1- Nope
2- I don't know about knock things loose, but it will get rid of any built up sludge and residue

928owner 09-29-03 02:35 PM

Point of no return

From what I heard, the tranny is pretty bullet proof, so if you change fluid, and it starts to act up, chances are it was on the way out anyhow. Better to find that out now instead on a trip in the middle of the desert.

Power flushing is great, but it won't remove the metal sludge on the pan magnets. You have to clean those by hand... drop the pan in this case. It may not be a taht big of a deal, but I do like to remove the metal sludge that collects on the magnets.

I had my fluid fully cleaned when I switched to the Dragon two years ago. Now I keep it clean with "my" maintanence cycle. So far, so good.

928:D