Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Rattle from behind the spedometer and steering wheel whinning noise..? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-03, 03:13 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rattle from behind the spedometer and steering wheel whinning noise..? HELP!

had this problem forever now... and its getting very annoying... please help!

the rattle is comming from behind the spedo it self... i took the spedo. off and tried to see where it was comming from .. but with so much junk back there... i had no luck..

it usally starts when i turn on the A/C or like when the car gets hot from being driven a little more then normal. and the rattle is loud... its embarassing. any solutions??

also when i turn the steering wheel when im parked.. (and the car is turned on) it makes a whinning noise when i turn the steering wheel... can it be steering fluid or what?? also the steering wheel unit that goes in and out when the key is inserted in the ignition... it makes a loud whinning noise... if its like a hott day outside....

thanks !

oh and ... hows every one doing.. havent been here ina while!
Old 04-20-03, 11:53 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the rattle from behind the odom. too, I just learned to live with it. If you can find a solution, please let us know.
Old 04-21-03, 12:33 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

It is probably your speedometer cable. I have a full sized Toyota Land Cruiser, and it was experiencing the same thing. I was able to unscrew the speedo cable from where it plugs into the transfer case. I then pulled it all the way out, and lubricated it with some good grease. Fed the cable back up, and screwed it back in. No more noise!

Obviously, the location of where your speedometer cable plugs in under the vehicle may be different than a Land Cruiser. Ask around or call the dealer, and they'll be able to tell you. It is an extremely easy fix, that doesn't take more than about 10 minutes.
Old 04-21-03, 01:57 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In your profile said you have 2003 GS430. Why don't you take it to dealer since this is brand new car?. Or you're talking about your another GS.
Old 04-22-03, 02:58 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Angry

man this rattling suks
Old 04-23-03, 07:22 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I used to have that steering wheel squeak. I also thought it was the fluid. However, when I went to the Toyota dealer here, they have no Toyota DOT fluid (they were out). However, they had some Valvoline synthetic, which I used and the squeak went down somewhat. Finally, they lubricated the steering column, problem solved.
Old 04-24-03, 01:19 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

I have that fun steering noise. What's a fair price to pay for a steering column lubrication? I hope they don't have to take the whole car apart do do that. Thank you for posting that because my car has made that noise since new and it sounds like I kidnapped a dolphin.

Originally posted by Lexmexico
Finally, they lubricated the steering column, problem solved.