Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Unkown problem on my Lexus IS200 SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 11:06 AM
prteam22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unkown problem on my Lexus IS200 SE

My car is a Lexus IS200 SE. It was first registered in 2000 so it is coming up to 15 years old. But I love it :-)

The issue I have is that occasionally it cuts out when I pull up to a junction or a roundabout at lower speed. 2 car mechanics have looked at it and could not identify a fault with it. There is no fault showing at all, which means that they cannot easily help me sort it out. After the car cuts out, it starts again and is then fine again for a while so it's the fact that I cannot trust the car all the time.

I would love to keep the car. I tried having new spark plugs as well as that could have been the cause however it is still cutting out. Because the issue is only occasional, it is difficult for me to track the common link as to when exactly it happens.

Can anyone here help me as to what the problem really is if some of you have already experienced this kind of problem. Thank you.
Old 08-17-15, 02:40 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It is difficult to track down a problem that comes and goes. First thing to do is check all connections to the battery they need to be clean and tight. There can not be corrosion on the terminals and likely there will be so they should be cleaned. Also the end piece that is crimped to the wire can get corrosion in it and can only be cleaned by replacing it. Also check the ground to the engine and the car. Next things will be relays and connections from them to the plugs. Fuses too. If your in a wet salt air environment these items could be what is contributing to your problem.
Old 08-23-15, 03:39 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I Currently have a 2002 Ford Focus Wagon that does this all the time under the same conditions you are describing. Hit a bump just right or turn too fast and it shuts off. Always starts right back up but is slightly annoying to say the least,

On mine it is the Crankshaft Position Sensor wiring giving me trouble,