Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

What do these air filters do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-03, 09:10 AM
Lvangundy

Default What do these air filters do?

This picture was taken from Lextreme's (David) TT LS400 project. (www.lextreme.com) I have asked around and nobody seems to have a better answer than the part's purpose is to 'breathe better.'

Can someone explain what these filters are for? I've seen them on Civics and whatever other cars.
Attached Thumbnails What do these air filters do?-what.jpg  
Old 03-24-03, 05:28 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha ha, it's the crank case breather..............................

In the PCV system,this line runs from the intake cam cover to the intake plenum. Since you are forcing air into your motor, to avoid pressurizing the crank case, unwanted ie extra air is released back to the intake.==> emission friendly. but this unwanted air also carry airborn oil particles, heat from the engine into the intake, thus it may cause detonation due to poorer intake air quality for high compression/force induction car (but that is what ODBII car required)

if you put a breather there, (disconnect the return line to the intake) you will just release the unburn/oil mixture with air into the outside, pretty cheap mod for those with force induction. else, for the Civic, it's just for show

for those who are env friendly, you can get the "oil catch tank" from sumit racing. The oil catch tank will filter this unwanted air and return it into the intake like normal (close loop)

the picture showed someone had mounted the breather to the oil cap, but that is the samething as putting it on the crank case line.
Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-24-03 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-24-03, 09:11 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

excellent explanation Mr. Banana.

When I saw the picture, it reminded me of the valve cover vents on my old 64 Chevelle 283 small block.

steviej
Old 03-24-03, 10:16 PM
Lvangundy

Thx for explanation.

Would it do anything for N/A engine?

Also, is there an argument to this because there is a filter on the PCV valve AND the oil cap? Doesn't the PCV valve already do something similar?

Look closely you can barely see it.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 03-24-03 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-25-03, 07:18 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PVC valve is like the blow off valve on turbo charged car, it releases the air when needed, and closed when it is not needed.

Would it do anything for N/A engine?
sure, you may gain like 1HP or something, and reduce engine knocking, but your car will VIOLATE every emission law, if the cop see it, you are toasted.