Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

used ABS brake pump ok? New=$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 10:46 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default used ABS brake pump ok? New=$$$$

Need a replacement ABS brake pump 44540-48030 for an RX300 01-02 but a new one cost over a grand. My mechanic friend told me that this should be the last thing that I should skimp on and don't settle on a used part that I can get for less than $150.

Any thoughts on used ABS brake pumps? I understand why this part is important but a used part is less than 20% of a new part and that's over $800+ of savings but if the used part is defective and I get into a wreck, I know that $800 savings is nothing.

Is there a place where they sell certified used/reconditioned ABS brake pumps? Or a source of a cheap new one?

Thx!
Old 02-07-15, 07:17 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Enz
Need a replacement ABS brake pump 44540-48030 for an RX300 01-02 but a new one cost over a grand. My mechanic friend told me that this should be the last thing that I should skimp on and don't settle on a used part that I can get for less than $150.

Any thoughts on used ABS brake pumps? I understand why this part is important but a used part is less than 20% of a new part and that's over $800+ of savings but if the used part is defective and I get into a wreck, I know that $800 savings is nothing.

Is there a place where they sell certified used/reconditioned ABS brake pumps? Or a source of a cheap new one?

Thx!
Just get a used one. What is the worst case scenario - it fails and you have to replace it again. Sounds to me like you could buy about 5 of them for the cost of one new. They fail very rarely in Lexus, probably less than 10% ever have a problem with the ABS pump itself.
Old 02-07-15, 09:35 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Just get a used one. What is the worst case scenario - it fails and you have to replace it again. Sounds to me like you could buy about 5 of them for the cost of one new. They fail very rarely in Lexus, probably less than 10% ever have a problem with the ABS pump itself.
More like buy at least 6 of them! And that's at a discounted price of the OEM. I found a used one at LKQ from a 74K mile vehicle at a great price hopefully it will be a clean unit.

"What is the worst case scenario" - well I'm hoping it would never happen but when you need the pump to pressurize a line when the ABS system has released some pressure to prevent locking up a wheel and the pump fails or is not able to keep up then you might loose some braking power to that wheel or to the whole system. Well that's my understanding of the whole thing, someone please correct me if I am wrong because I'd like to know how it really works if its not how I understand it. Or does the system have a pre-flight check that "tests" the pump when you start up the car? If it fails then you get an ABS warning light?
Old 02-07-15, 09:46 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Enz
More like buy at least 6 of them! And that's at a discounted price of the OEM. I found a used one at LKQ from a 74K mile vehicle at a great price hopefully it will be a clean unit.

"What is the worst case scenario" - well I'm hoping it would never happen but when you need the pump to pressurize a line when the ABS system has released some pressure to prevent locking up a wheel and the pump fails or is not able to keep up then you might loose some braking power to that wheel or to the whole system. Well that's my understanding of the whole thing, someone please correct me if I am wrong because I'd like to know how it really works if its not how I understand it. Or does the system have a pre-flight check that "tests" the pump when you start up the car? If it fails then you get an ABS warning light?
You're pretty much right on.

There is a systems test every time you start the car.

It isn't a terrible idea to go make sure it works from time to time anyways though. Just wait til a rainy day and an open stretch of road. It's good practice to know how the system reacts and it gives the actuators a work out.
Old 02-07-15, 10:23 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
You're pretty much right on.

There is a systems test every time you start the car.

It isn't a terrible idea to go make sure it works from time to time anyways though. Just wait til a rainy day and an open stretch of road. It's good practice to know how the system reacts and it gives the actuators a work out.
Got it. Good to know.

Yeah, I normally do a "grip test" on icy mornings on my street to see how slippery the roads are before I venture outside my village. This always activates the ABS.

Thanks!