Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

60K Service Cost... Unbelievable!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 05:25 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 60K Service Cost... Unbelievable!

Hello everyone,

I did a quick search and turned up no real solid information on what I was looking for so I decided to create a new one. I own a 1998 GS 300 and recently stumbled upon 58K mileage and decided to make the appointment for my 60K service later this month. I was quoted somewhere in the neighborhood of $1100. Now, I know it is a major service but I have seen costs at about half of this! Can anyone give me any suggestion as to how to reduce the cost, or anyone know of a better place near Trenton, NJ other than Lawrence Lexus where I can go? Maybe I can get a fax from another dealership and show my current one to see if they'll match? (Long shot, lol) I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks!

-Anthony
Old 03-11-03, 05:42 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the dealerships will quote on what they will do. Shop for quotes based on what is in your O/M; nothing else.
Old 03-13-03, 08:15 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 60K Service Cost... Unbelievable!

Originally posted by Captain Bone
Hello everyone,

I did a quick search and turned up no real solid information on what I was looking for so I decided to create a new one. I own a 1998 GS 300 and recently stumbled upon 58K mileage and decided to make the appointment for my 60K service later this month. I was quoted somewhere in the neighborhood of $1100. Now, I know it is a major service but I have seen costs at about half of this! Can anyone give me any suggestion as to how to reduce the cost, or anyone know of a better place near Trenton, NJ other than Lawrence Lexus where I can go? Maybe I can get a fax from another dealership and show my current one to see if they'll match? (Long shot, lol) I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks!

-Anthony
The Lexus dealerships here charge around $600 for 60,000 Miles service.
Old 03-14-03, 01:23 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Captain: The price range for the 60k service is pretty ridiculous. Some members have paid $400, others around $1000. Your best bet is to shop around. Although the 60k is a major service, $1100 seems awfully high. I paid around $500 for mine...but CA dealers seem to have better prices. Good luck.
Old 03-14-03, 09:55 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I paid $800 for my 60K service which I thought was way too much. Less than 5 months later, I had my TPS sensor and O2 sensors replaced for free even though my warranty was expired. I think that they called it "goodwill". Sometimes it pays to have the dealer perform the Major service (although it is mostly inspections).
Old 03-14-03, 03:38 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm at 58k too

But I decided to do a couple things per month myself, in anticipation of 60k. Just about done...

So far I've done coolant flush (with the red Toyota coolant, A/C filter, air filter, tire rotation. differential fluid (with Amsoil synthetic 75w-90). I bought 13 quarts of T4 transmission fluid, and took it to my local shop, where they did the complete flush / fill suction thingy on the tranny (with the bladder type machine ) for $45. So all I have left is an upcoming oil change and maybe a wheel balance (though she's smooth as glass , so maybe not), brake fluid flush and spark plugs.This is uncertain though because I've read where the Iridiums are good to about 100k, so I'm not sure I'll do them now, but rather at 90k.

The valve adjustment is also probably unnecessary because my engine sounds fine, no noise. All totaled up, I think i've spent about ~$150 so far, for materials and the tranny service labor. I am marking everything in my warranty book and keeping receipts. I want to take care of this car as well as possible, and have it documented .

You really can save a ton if you have the time and a few general tools.

Last edited by Guitarman; 03-14-03 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-14-03, 04:10 PM
IS300_Chic
Driver

Hi Captain Bone!!
I just got done my 5K mile service and thank god it was complementry. I am not looking forward to the 10K mile either cuz of the cost. You could always check out Thompson Lexus in Doylestown. I dont know how far you live from anything but i got my car in Atlantic City Lexus and i dont know how much their service costs but you could always check. I hope this helps you and if you find something cheaper than Lawrence Lexus, let me know cuz i will have to get that service some time. Byee!
Old 03-14-03, 09:05 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

you must aske lexus to print out or give you a list of thing that they will do on your car.

1100 is not bad if they gonna change your timming belt.... the point is: you need to ask exactly what are being done at 60K, pick and choose what you really need.

if you don't know what you "really" need, do a search here or ask someone here. That will save you a lot of money. You ccan't just call them up ask for the whole enchilada then complaint hee hee , they will quote you for everything they can think of.

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-14-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-14-03, 10:07 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I had a quick sit down with a service advisor and quickly dropped the price to $600 with some quick things that really didn't need to be changed. The people at Lawrence Lexus are still not on my good side but are improving slowly. Hopefully, everything will work out nicely and I'll be pleased as I hope I will. Once again, Thanks everyone.

-Anthony
Old 03-18-03, 10:30 AM
thedon67
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anthony,

Would you please let me know how you got the price down to $600 and what services they performed for that amount.

I have the same feeling that you do about Lawrence Lexus. Personally I think they are trying to recoup the cost of their fancy new building.

They quoted me ridiculous prices on both the major service and the steering pump replacement. For the big svc (is that the 60K?) they wanted to keep my car for 3 days!

My car is a '90 LS400 with 145,000 miles so it just isn't worth the labor rates they are trying to charge. But then again you can't blame them for asking that much since I'm sure the folks up the road in Princeton don't complain about the high costs they are paying.

Sounds like you are in my area, so if you know of a good private mechanic please let me know.

Regards,
Don

Last edited by thedon67; 03-18-03 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-02-03, 08:32 PM
kapenga
Driver School Candidate

my 92 es has 230k on it and I never once had it taken in for a service check. It sounds like you got the basics covered with flushing the fluids/filters out. The valve adjustment thing is only if the engine is making noise...I own a motorcycle dealership and we have the same type of recommended service but we always tell the customer that your bike will tell you what it needs when it comes to engine noise (obviously assuming you are doing your regular maint.)
Old 04-10-03, 03:33 PM
JYOO

Anyone know where u can get a list of services done in a 60K?
Thanks.
Old 04-10-03, 04:18 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A way to save some money...

is to purchase OEM parts through Carson Toyota and have the dealer of your choice install them.You save about 20% from the retail price your dealer wants to charge you.As long as you have Lexus parts the dealership shouldn't have a problem just charging you labor.
Old 04-13-03, 08:06 PM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default NJ Lexus Dealer Woes

I too have had lukewarm experience with Lawrence Lexus. They are expensive, and won't touch anything aftermarket. It took me over a year of asking before they agreed to install TRD sways on my GS. Luckily it took almost that long to get them. LOL

They wouldn't even consider doing a TRD LSD install.

Anyone know of a willing and able dealer in the NY/NJ/PA area that has actually done some aftermarket work? 60K experience with Lex of Manhattan?

BTW - the 60K service for me was skipped because I did it all myself and they now say the GS doesn't need a timing belt until 100K.

Old 04-14-03, 05:40 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

You could get a printout of the services the do and take it to Toyota.

Quick Reply: 60K Service Cost... Unbelievable!