Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Newbie owner questions for '09 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 06:34 AM
Lostabroad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie owner questions for '09 IS250

Hi All,

First post here, so go easy on a fella. Also, if I posted this in the wrong section, my apologies in advance.

Just bought a certified pro-owned 09 IS250. Very clean car, despite the mid-level miles (60k). It is a AWD model with most of the upgrades. Not sure if this is because it is used with a good amount of miles, but the car seems to idle pretty high, even after warmed up. Granted, I'm going through a Northeast Winter, but even when engine temp needle hits midway, it still seems to idle at 1k at stop lights. Been a while since I've owned a Japanese car, so I'm not sure if that is typical. Came from an '04 BMW X5.

Secondly, the car seems to skate a bit when hard cornering. Kind of surprising considering how low this is to the ground compared to my X5. Tires on my IS250 are new-ish, and the suspension feels fine. I hit the performance button, but really didn't notice any real difference with suspension. I'm kind of shocked to feel less confident passing on two lane off ramps than my X5. Wondering if that is a higher mileage thing too. Maybe I should have the suspension inspected? Wasn't really able to drive it like that during the test drive, so I hadn't noticed before I bought it.
Old 03-03-14, 04:46 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

The 09 IS250 does not have any sort of electronic suspension. Are you pressing the ECT button? If so, that has to do with shifting and the rate of acceleration via the gas pedal. What kind of tires does the car have installed? New or used, the quality of tire, tire pressure, and alignment all play into how the car feels on the road. Lastly, i think your idle is probably about normal for cold weather, but id have to let someone with more cold weather experience chime in..
Old 03-04-14, 05:48 AM
Lostabroad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RTIS250
The 09 IS250 does not have any sort of electronic suspension. Are you pressing the ECT button? If so, that has to do with shifting and the rate of acceleration via the gas pedal. What kind of tires does the car have installed? New or used, the quality of tire, tire pressure, and alignment all play into how the car feels on the road. Lastly, i think your idle is probably about normal for cold weather, but id have to let someone with more cold weather experience chime in..
Thanks for explaining the ECT button. I have yet to break into the owner's manual, so I wasn't sure if that was just shifting or shifting+suspension. The previous owner bought replacement tires that matched the factory tires. They were rather religious with servicing at the same dealer they purchased the vehicle, with just about all service records. I'll have to check wear and alignment a little closer (or have someone check for me). As for the idle, when I was on my way in this morning, I noticed that even after warmed it, it hits 1k at a red light, but the moment I take my foot off the brake, it backs off to between 500-750. The second I apply full brake again, the needle slowly pushes back up to 1k. It was only 20F today, so maybe just a cold weather thing. Just seems odd.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Looking forward to posting upcoming interior mods. Working on some minor interior projects.
Old 03-13-14, 07:12 AM
1000hp
Driver School Candidate

You shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't handle like an X5 Higher center of gravity for sure, but sadly it might still be a better-handling vehicle than an IS AWD.

How long is the idle staying at 1k? Throughout the day? Or just longer than you expect when it is relatively cold? When the needle is in the middle, the actual coolant temp could be anywhere within a fairly large range.
Old 03-17-14, 06:01 AM
Lostabroad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1000hp
You shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't handle like an X5 Higher center of gravity for sure, but sadly it might still be a better-handling vehicle than an IS AWD.

How long is the idle staying at 1k? Throughout the day? Or just longer than you expect when it is relatively cold? When the needle is in the middle, the actual coolant temp could be anywhere within a fairly large range.
Thanks for the reply. After a couple weeks with the car, I've come to realize that it is just taking a while to warm up. You're right about the range on the needle. Even when it gets close to midrange, the engine may not be fully warmed up. Granted, it has been one hell of a cold winter. I've noticed that it does eventually go down to a 6k idle. I just hadn't been on a long enough trip to notice until a weekend ago.

As for the X5--I miss quite a few things about that car. Immediately, I miss the heated steering wheel. Such a minor thing makes driving so much more comfortable. And as you mentioned, I miss the more advanced suspension. Thing drove like it was on rails, which was no easy feat consider the center of gravity and curb weight. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as the X5 is substantially more expensive.

Now that the idle is solved, anyone know why my climate control refuses to retain settings? I'll press the climate button and manually set the vents, fan speed, circulation, and temp. A few minutes later and I notice that the vents and circulation have changed and the A/C is on. This is without the "Auto" setting turned on. Noticed a few quirky changes like that so far with the climate control. Wondering if that is an issue or some stupid mistake I'm making. It has a complete mind of its own, and seems to love to turn the A/C on even when it is 20 degrees outside.