Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Burning Oil - Piston Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 07:55 AM
amdinius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Oil - Piston Issue

Hello,
I have a 2001 RX 300 with 171K miles on it. It has been burning oil for 2 or 3 months now. Yes, there is white smoke when I start it, and I am going through a little less than a quart every tank of gas. I took the car to the dealer and they think the issue is stuck pistons. The fix is a new engine and at this point in the life of the car, I am not ready to invest in a new engine --

Question for the group -- I have seen this problem discussed many times on line usually in terms of diagnosing the problem. For those of you who just chose to keep driving your car as long as possible by making sure that you always kept oil in it -- how long were you able to continue to drive the car?
Old 04-19-13, 09:12 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If the piston is stuck, the engine wouldn't run.

You best bet is to do a leak down test
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques057_1.html

And you don't have to get a brand new engine. You can always replace the broken part or get a used engine.
Old 04-19-13, 06:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Can you give us a little more information on the white smoke???

Is it only when you start the vehicle? Does it happen right after the engine has been idling for a while as well?

A compression and leak down test would be in order here... if compression is low in one cylinder or more, a leak down test will tell you why it is low - where ever you hear the air coming out of the cylinder - through the intake (intake valve issue), through the exhaust (exhaust valve issue) or through the crank case (piston ring issue)...
Old 04-21-13, 08:01 AM
amdinius
Driver School Candidate

Hello and thank you for your response. I am not a mechanic, so I may have my terminology wrong. I know that there is an issue with the pistons and that I need to replace the engine. You are right, I could of course get a used engine. But that in and of itself is a pretty big investment for a 12 year old car.

My question is not so much seeking help with diagnosing the problem but I am more interested in hearing from people who have had a similar problem to see if they chose not to invest in an engine and instead to keep the car well oiled -- How long did their cars last?

Thanks in adavnce for any answers
Old 04-22-13, 06:47 AM
amdinius
Driver School Candidate

Hello and thank you for your response -- as for your question about the smoke -- white smoke comes out of the engine when I start it after it has been idle for a while. The smoke comes out for about a minute and then no more smoke.

I had some testing done at the dealer, but I think that they only did a compression check, and not a leak down test. I will check my paperwork tonight when I get home to verify --
Old 04-24-13, 10:53 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That engine could potentially last a very long time still... Keep an eye on its oil consumption, maintain a good oil level, and it might not be a bad idea to switch to a heavier weight oil, 10w-40 could be appropriate - not the best oil for the bearings, but will be a compromise between thin like the recommendation calls for and something super thick...
Old 04-30-13, 03:55 PM
amdinius
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Mitsuguy!! Really appreciate it and I am hoping that it does last a long time. Will heed your advice on the heavier weight oil.