Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 05:14 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes

Hey all,

I'm getting around to replacing all my brake pads on my 2006 IS250 AWD and started using every search button I could find before posting and just wanted a little extra help. I bought my car a year ago used and the dealer said they put new brakes on prior to sale. A few weeks ago I was told by a local Toyota dealership, who did my PA inspection, that the rear brakes were "low" and couldn't tell me an exact number. Being a DIYer I didn't understand how I could burn the back brakes that quickly. I am hard on my brakes but I've never had a car eat them that quick. Even after I ran my mazda twice a month at autocross events for over half a year. Any ideas?

Things I'm under consideration about: I want low brake dust, affordable price, and as much durability as possible. I do understand that tires stop a car.

That being said I am looking for replacements and thinking about going all ceramic. I looked into reviews of Akebono ProActs and OEMs. and their prices. To note I did replace my rotors with wearver rotors from AdvanceAutoParts about 4,000 miles or less ago.

Do I need shims? fit kits? ect? Or what. I don't want to skimp on quality and will replace anything that is old like my rusted pins for the rear brakes.

Any suggestions? Advice?

Cheers,
Alan
Old 05-08-12, 08:20 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by irishcharm
Being a DIYer I didn't understand how I could burn the back brakes that quickly. I am hard on my brakes but I've never had a car eat them that quick. Even after I ran my mazda twice a month at autocross events for over half a year. Any ideas?

Do I need shims? fit kits? ect? Or what. I don't want to skimp on quality and will replace anything that is old like my rusted pins for the rear brakes.

Any suggestions? Advice?

Cheers,
Alan
The rear brake pistons and/or slide pins can be seized.

Pads from dealership do not come with shims. But you can reuse the existing ones. Some aftermarket pads come with shims.
Old 05-08-12, 08:57 AM
irishcharm
Driver

If I use aftermarket ones then no need for OEM shims?
Old 05-08-12, 09:21 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by irishcharm
If I use aftermarket ones then no need for OEM shims?
No.

And sometimes, the aftermarket pads come with shim already.
Old 05-08-12, 06:37 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

pull the wheels and measure them yourself...

getting thin is a relative term, and without measurements, its hard to say whats required at all...

the dealer that said they replaced the brakes prior to sale may have only replaced the fronts...
Old 06-09-12, 06:37 AM
irishcharm
Driver

well i finally got around to changing the brakes and painting calipers. Fronts were pretty worn but were newer. rears were almost totally gone. plus had a seized caliper. and the akebono brakes I put in were very large.