Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need advice on replacing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 11:01 AM
freelancr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on replacing brake pads

Hi all. I am new member here but have been reading these forums for quite some time.

My ES350 is nearing 40k miles. During a regular oil change, the dealer told me that the rear brake pads have been worn down to 2mm and need to replaced immediately. I was quoted $400 for parts and labor.

I decided to shop around and was quoted $220 (OEM parts) by a local repair shop with 1 yr warranty on labor. This shop comes highly recommended by many people and has good reviews on yelp.

My question is: Will changing brakes by a non lexus repair shop void my CPO warranty in any way? Is there any way to detect it?

(I know I can get the pads and turn the motor for less than $100, but I am really bad at doing such things and invariably mess it up)

Thanks!
Old 08-09-11, 11:16 AM
IRikeBoost
Driver School Candidate

I Think It Will Void It Unless The Shop Is Lexus/Toyota Certified, And The Parts Have To Be Lexus/Toyota Too; No Aftermarket. But I'm Not 100% Sure, Might Wanna Do Some Research On That.
Old 08-10-11, 08:06 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IRikeBoost
I Think It Will Void It Unless The Shop Is Lexus/Toyota Certified, And The Parts Have To Be Lexus/Toyota Too; No Aftermarket. But I'm Not 100% Sure, Might Wanna Do Some Research On That.
the only way anything can void a warranty is if it directly caused the warrantied part to fail...

for instance - your new brake pads or the work performed on the pads caused the wheel to fall off because the wheel bearing came apart...

granted, that is damn near an impossibility and very far fetched, but, an example of a related repair...

the reality of it is that any repair shop that gives you a warranty on their work, their warranty will supersede the warranty on the car in general... not a lot can really go wrong with brakes that would be covered by warranty anyways aside from premature wear, which most warranty's don't cover anyways...

its kind of like modding a car... a dealership can't claim a voided warranty on the engine because you installed an aftermarket radio...
Old 08-12-11, 11:33 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

No, it will not void the warranty. What mitsuguy said.
Old 08-12-11, 03:52 PM
freelancr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys
Old 09-11-11, 03:10 PM
Baaku
Rookie

What I did was take what it would cost to replace the pads and rotors, went to a local flea market, and bought a hydraulic jack, 4-2 ton Jackstands, a lugnut wrench, a torque wrench and a complete metric wrench set (all for <$60). Following this I watched YouTube videos and carefully followed the relatively simple process. Since I was in there, I also painted the calipers using G2 caliper paint. I own an 04 G35 sedan and have done the same 2X's.

2 months later, no problems at all.

As a woman, knowing these things is invaluable, especially when you get stuck or end up in a shop and the techs/mechanics show you no respect.

With respect to warranty work, all you need is receipts for the rotors and pads, or anything you do (oil changes, etc.). The warranty remains intact so long as you didn't screw up the repairs.

Good luck and I hope this helps,
Isa
Old 09-15-11, 09:29 PM
LDNN
Driver

Isa,

I salute you! You are my inspiration for my DIY resolution.

LDNN
Old 09-16-11, 04:27 PM
Baaku
Rookie

Originally Posted by LDNN
Isa,

I salute you! You are my inspiration for my DIY resolution.

LDNN
Since I'm only 5'4" @ 115lbs, I do need help at times on the muscle piece.

Good for you and good luck!

Isa