Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Car is driving sloppy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 10:12 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is driving sloppy

Hey guys, i got a 95 gs300, with 106000. Seems like my car has lost power since i got her in september. It seems a lot more sluggish.

The transmission has gotten a lot more jerky

When i accelerate, it seems sluggish, right after it shifts, it doesn't have that constant power, it dips down in power.

Does anyone have a solution for these 2 problems??

(Things i've changed out: Spark plugs, tranny fluid, some gaskets, new cap, rotor,)
Old 06-14-06, 01:36 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe some sea foam is in order? i personally have never tried it but i've heard great things about it.
Old 06-14-06, 05:33 AM
fjurado1
Rookie

Did you change the tranny filter or just the fluid? Check the distributor cap, rotor and sparkplug wires. Those components can make a world of difference.
Old 06-14-06, 06:05 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fjurado1
Did you change the tranny filter or just the fluid? Check the distributor cap, rotor and sparkplug wires. Those components can make a world of difference.
The tranny flush was done by kennedy transmission, so unless they were like jiffy lube in florida where they scam you, then i'd imagine everything was changed out properly!

Distributor cap and rotor were changed out, along wit iridium plugs, although the wires were not, and i know they are not in the greatest shape possible! I will be doing them along with my timing belt, water pump, and belt exchange. Could it just be the plug wires??
Old 06-15-06, 08:01 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Could it be the cat back??

I just had my car checked out, i have a leak in my exhaust.....need to replace exhaust gasket
Old 06-15-06, 08:36 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could have the engine tested on a "Sun" style diagnostic machine. A good one will indicate if you have ignition, fuel supply, fuel injection or exhaust restriction problems.. along with which cylinders are failing.

Being in road salt country, could be a combination of the above. But the parts are too expensive to tackle it with a "twelve guage", meaning shotgun the problem by replacing parts..
Old 06-15-06, 08:55 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did the sluggish performance happen shortly after the tranny flush? mine performed a little slower after the tranny flush because all the crap inside started floating all over AFTER the new fluids were poured in... just a note- this is normal since the new tranny fluid is a lot more acidic than the old tranny fluid and so it breaks away chunks of carbon buildup.

For this reason, I've read that it's good to do a another flush a few weeks after your initial drain and refill but since you already did the flush - don't worry about it. i did the same as you, just did the flush and after a while, things were back to normal.