Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 06:07 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C issues

I'm pretty convinced the compressor clutch is failing me. If I sit at a light too long the cool air stops and the A/C light blinks. Once rolling again, I can push the A/C button twice and the cool air kicks on again. Has any one had dealings with this? I checked the pressure and I'm at a solid 38psi however it's not cycling, which I find very strange. Does anyone have a spare compressor or know the best place to buy one? I found one at a salvage yard for $200 but you never know what you are going to get. It was 110 today so I have to figure something out quickly. Maybe just buy a GTE swap and use the one that comes with that.
Old 06-03-06, 08:02 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Compressor is gone, not just the clutch, if that was the case, it would only cost like 20 bucks to fix(I lie, but it wouldnt be expensive). Seriously though, check ebay, I know it may take a couple days to ship and what not, but they are the cheapest there. You will probably need a dryer too.
Old 06-04-06, 08:00 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I wouldn't bother just doing the clutch on a compressor that old. I'll just hope it holds on unti I have the cash necessary for the swap.
Old 06-08-06, 02:13 PM
lclexus5
Driver School Candidate

smart idea
Old 06-17-06, 07:16 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaiser
I'm pretty convinced the compressor clutch is failing me. If I sit at a light too long the cool air stops and the A/C light blinks. Once rolling again, I can push the A/C button twice and the cool air kicks on again. Has any one had dealings with this? I checked the pressure and I'm at a solid 38psi however it's not cycling, which I find very strange. Does anyone have a spare compressor or know the best place to buy one? I found one at a salvage yard for $200 but you never know what you are going to get. It was 110 today so I have to figure something out quickly. Maybe just buy a GTE swap and use the one that comes with that.
ok look at the compressure. ur going to need a very bright flashlight. u should be able to see the clutch. it should be brown or black. run the car witht he ac at max low with max fan. watch the compressor. and see if u can smell something burning.

on most lexus that ive seen only needed to replace the seal and clutch parts.
Old 06-26-06, 12:52 PM
Chriso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by koolaidman
ok look at the compressure. ur going to need a very bright flashlight. u should be able to see the clutch. it should be brown or black. run the car witht he ac at max low with max fan. watch the compressor. and see if u can smell something burning.

on most lexus that ive seen only needed to replace the seal and clutch parts.

If it was the clutch that was gone it would slip (burn the friction material) and you would effectively sieze it. Several things could happen, but most probably one of thse two: #1 - the armature of the clutch could "weld" to the hub ie: your compressor would be working all the time, or #2 - your clutch could be on its way to point #1 by slipping.

The only thing you could check with the light is if it engages or disengages, but then again you can hear it as well.

I'd do a pulldown vaccuum test to check for leaks first.