Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Steering problem on curve recovery

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 09:41 AM
leeanders
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem on curve recovery

I have a new 06 GS300 - about a week old with 500 miles on it. I've noticed a problem that has me scheduled to take it back to the dealer for maintenance next week.

At normal highway speed, on curving roads, the steering wheel tries to hang up coming out of left hand curves, at speeds of from 40 to 60mph. I checked tire pressure and have 34lb all the way around - so air pressure is not a problem.

Turning into the curve is smooth, and holding in the curve is good, but when you exit the curve, straightening out the wheels, the steering is jerky, as though it's grabbing on a series of bumps or perhaps broken gear teeth.

There are no such problems with right hand turns, and this does not happen at low speeds such as in parking lot turns, or in normal highway driving such as freeways. Only on secondary roads with tight curves.

I would like to hear from anyone who either has this problem, or has had the problem and has had it repaired. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 01-02-06, 02:13 PM
leeanders
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack and Pinion Replacement

Reference the steering problem - noted in the original message: Lexus had to replace the entire Rack and Pinion steering gear - to solve the problem. If your steering gets notchy in curves, chances are you too will have to have a R&P replacement. Lexus admitted there have been a number of these problems lately. I guess 'Quality Control' has been sleeping on the job.