Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: We are selling our SC400 in 12 mo, would you perform the "now due" 120k mile insp?
Yes, pay for the insp and keep the car up to date
45.31%
No, keep the oil changed and rotate the tires, but that's it!
54.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Pay for the 120k Mile Inspection or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 03:32 PM
sahtt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ones with *'s I'd take it to a shop for. The rest are very easy DIY. The plugs are easy, and if you don't want to pay 100.00 to someone else yet think your time is too valuable to do it, something has got to give.

Replace A/C filter*
Replace brake fluid*
Replace differential oil
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine coolant
Inspect 14 various points on the car ranging from ball joints and dust covers to the tranny fluid*
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace spark plugs
Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts*
Rotate tires
Road-test vehicle
Complimentary car wash, loaner car, free pastries in the lounge, etc

I can understand how bleeding the brake system could be a hassle for someone who has never done it.. However, me not being a mechanic of any sort, could do all of this in 6 hours with a total parts cost of 100 bucks or less. Cut two hours off that if you had a bit of help.

I also currently live in austin. The lexus I currently own was previously maintained by Bearden. Their prices are close to the dealer in scale, I can attest to that by the PO's maint. receipts. Their service was always good as far as I know. If you ever go down to Houston, C&C Northside Auto provides the best lexus service I am aware of, and is reasonably priced.
Old 01-12-06, 05:00 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sahtt
The ones with *'s I'd take it to a shop for. The rest are very easy DIY. The plugs are easy, and if you don't want to pay 100.00 to someone else yet think your time is too valuable to do it, something has got to give.

Replace A/C filter*
Replace brake fluid*
Replace differential oil
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine coolant
Inspect 14 various points on the car ranging from ball joints and dust covers to the tranny fluid*
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace spark plugs
Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts*
Rotate tires
Road-test vehicle
Complimentary car wash, loaner car, free pastries in the lounge, etc

I can understand how bleeding the brake system could be a hassle for someone who has never done it.. However, me not being a mechanic of any sort, could do all of this in 6 hours with a total parts cost of 100 bucks or less. Cut two hours off that if you had a bit of help.

I also currently live in austin. The lexus I currently own was previously maintained by Bearden. Their prices are close to the dealer in scale, I can attest to that by the PO's maint. receipts. Their service was always good as far as I know. If you ever go down to Houston, C&C Northside Auto provides the best lexus service I am aware of, and is reasonably priced.
Jeff Bearden is a good friend of mine. Back to the topic, 120k =30k service. Something like that would run around $350-600 at our shop. I don't see why it would run $1k. They have free loaner cars, so do we. They have compliment car wash, so do we. They have cable and internet access, so do we. They use lexus/toyota parts, so do we. They are lexus certified, so do we. They charged people a lot more, But we don't! .
JPI
Old 01-14-06, 08:19 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JPI
Jeff Bearden is a good friend of mine. Back to the topic, 120k =30k service. Something like that would run around $350-600 at our shop. I don't see why it would run $1k. They have free loaner cars, so do we. They have compliment car wash, so do we. They have cable and internet access, so do we. They use lexus/toyota parts, so do we. They are lexus certified, so do we. They charged people a lot more, But we don't! .
JPI
Are you in Austin?

I don't follow you on the 120k=30k comment. If they equal each other, then that means Lexus says I need to replace spark plugs every 30k miles and replace tranny fluid?
Old 01-14-06, 08:25 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nevermind JPI, I just went to your web site and you're up in Garland, darnit!

Do you have some worthy competition from the Lexus dealerships up there? I know Park Place and Sewell have a huge rivalry between each other.
Old 01-15-06, 12:44 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We did our first 60K service on our SC400 at 120K, and what I mean by that, is the timing belt. I've changed plugs every 90K. First set of replacement wires and points at 180K. Complete trans flush every 30K. Original air filter just the other day at 219K. Amazingly it was still fairly clean, but I waited too long because my average mileage jumped by 1 MPG. Used to do oil every 3K with synthetic. Now I wait probably 8K between changes as all the driving is freeway and 8K goes by in about 3 months. Next timing belt will be at 240K or when it breaks, whichever is sooner. I change my timing belts on my Nissans every 60K but that's because on a Nissan, if your belt breaks, your engine is toast. On a Toyota, the worst that can happen is you can be stranded. I suppose the really worst thing would be if you were making a left turn into on coming traffic and your belt snapped.

So far, I've saved more than the car is currently worth in dealer service.
Old 02-09-06, 05:11 PM
parula
Instructor

JPI, just an idea, but why not set up a franchise - sell some in the east!
Old 02-09-06, 05:16 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by parula
JPI, just an idea, but why not set up a franchise - sell some in the east!
It's in the work sir
JPI
Old 06-06-06, 04:55 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jayson
We will be selling our 1995 SC400 this time next year and purchasing a GX470. The 120k mile inspection runs approximately $1000.

Would you vote "yes" to doing the service even though we are selling the car in 12 months and using it as a marketing tool or would you vote "no" and say if the car is running fine, skip the major inspection, but keep the oil changed and tires roatated and let the new owner fork over the money for the service?

Thank you!
I voted before you said something about selling in a year. Don't waste your money if you are unloading it in a year. Save the money and put it on the GX.
CV